Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lilk

How to edit my review?

I received this message when submitting my review, "Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains inappropriate language which violates our Terms of Use. If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved."  There is no obvious way to edit my review, so, I was wondering how B&N could review my changes and let me know that it is acceptable?
Any ideas?
kk
Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

Re: How to edit my review?

Some kind of software hiccup has occurred (there have been two or three posts about it in different threads).  I'm surprised they haven't fixed it by now!  (Or maybe I shouldn't be?)

Jeff

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

What he said^^^^^ PS: hey Jeff check your inbox
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
Novalray

I had the exact same problem. Sent them an e-mail and was told that it would be passed on to the appropriate department. They did tell me there was currently no way to edit a review. That part of the system does not work. My review, three weeks later, is still locked up showing the same message.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

There's no edit button for reviews, and I want to correct incorrect grammar in a review I wrote yesterday. Being unable to edit my review(s) will have a chilling effect on my desire to write them. (I always edit my books reviews because I never get them exactly right the first time.) In addition, the book recommendations options are not visible anymore, so I can't recommend books with my review.

I hope they get this problem fixed sometime this century.:smileytongue: 

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Don't know how true this is but I just got off the phone with customer service (for the second time because the first time CS did not pay attention to what was being said and shifted me off to another department that had nothing to do with this situation) and CS stated that when you write a review the publisher has the right to moderate your review and/or give you the ability to edit your review.  Now, this may be another passoff but it sounded somewhat more logical than the runaround.

I'll write the publisher and see what gives.

kk

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

Correspondent
Yatta99

@lilk

Don't feel bad, I got the same run-a-round as you did. There are two major problems with CS telling you (us) to contact the publisher (or in my case, the app designer):

1. Would you trust a review to be an honest opinion if it had to be approved by the people that wrote what you are reviewing? That's a blatant conflict of interest.

2. It was the B&N computer that rejected your review and not some other third party. Therefore, it is incumbent upon B&N to explain why the B&N computer rejected the review, not someone else.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. I've already been through this and have yet to hear anything resembling a reasonable answer. However, I would advise to not lump all B&N people in the same category. They seem to fall into three different ones:

1. The people at my local B&N are great and helpful. This is the shining point of B&N.

2. The B&N reps here on these boards are OK. They are somewhat limited in what they can do and in what they are allowed to pass on to us. They (usually) take the brunt of our ire yet are hamstrung by the company policy that they must follow. I do not envy these people.

3. The people at CS that you call or e-mail. Remember Alice in Wonderland? Remember the Mad Hatters Tea Party? Those are the people we are trying to get answers from (IMHO). No Room! No Room! Move down, move down, move down!

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

My review was rejected almost right away.  It would be nice to know what the computer thought was inappropriate.  Nothing was and it was a very positive review.  I've seen some really nasty ones that got through somehow.  Something's really messed up here.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

I guess it's a sad state of mind that BN has decided to block reviews that [potentially] help them make money as well as the author.  Is this some kind of ploy?

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

New User
Dollycas
0 Kudos

This past week I have sent emails and even called Customer Service regarding this exact problem.  Aster being transferred 3 times the woman wanted me to read by reviews to her as she typed them into her computer so she could send them somewhere to be checked and approved or get feedback on the inappropriate part of he reviews. We had already been on the phone for 30 minutes just getting her my basic information, I was not going to put her through the time it would take her to type up more than 10 separate reviews.  The is a ridiculous idea.  

After getting off the phone with her I received an email survey. I filled it out truthfully stating in this day and ago their representtives should be able to access the reviews and tell us what was wrong with them and that the edit key should appear as their 5 plus emails directed me.  But truthfully would any of us know what to edit without them telling us which part was inappropriate.  The publishers did not flag these reviews.  B&N has a glitch in its system.

Today I received an email thanking me for my patience and telling me of these posts in the community board. Aplace I had never even ventured before.

I am glad to know I am not the only one facing these isues. I also hope they find the bug in their system so our reviews are no longer hidden.