Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Needlehawk
0 Kudos

Re: How to edit my review?

*Sigh* Me too. I gave a 5-star rating and a very positive review of a book just now, and got the same message with the same problem that I can't edit it.I had even posted on this author's website about the review, and he had thanked me for it :smileysad: Guess I'll let him know that he might not be seeing that review any time soon. 

New User
MollyzReviewz
0 Kudos

I'm totally with ya'll on this one. I posted a 5 star review that I had posted the same EXACT thing on my website, Amazon and GoodReads, and it's rejected. *sigh* I'm starting to get really upset, for a better "appropriate" term, at this due to the fact that I'm a book review blogger and it's imperative that my reviews get posted on the site, per the AUTHOR'S request! 

Correspondent
Yatta99

Having a review get rejected wouldn't be as bad if they did one, simple thing....

Highlight or otherwise indicate exactly what word(s) or phrase(s) were found to be "objectionable"!

Having a review, especially a lengthy review, get rejected for "inappropriate" language and then NOT stating what language was found to be objectionable is beyond stupid. Is this suppose to be some sort of child's guessing game? "I found something objectionable in your review that I didn't like so I'm rejecting it and I'm not going to tell you why... SO THERE! PBBBTTTTTTTTTTT!"

Of course, to go along with telling us 'what' and 'why', the ability to edit and correct would help as well.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but so happy that I am not alone! I have had three reviews "rejected" and haven't had anyone tell me what is wrong. I have spent over 30 minuted in Internet chat and about 15 on the phone only to be told that CS reps. can't see anything and I need to send the information to B&N headquarters. 

lilk wrote:
I received this message when submitting my review, "Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains inappropriate language which violates our Terms of Use. If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved."  There is no obvious way to edit my review, so, I was wondering how B&N could review my changes and let me know that it is acceptable?
Any ideas?
kk

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Another thing I find annoying is that I can't even write another review of it.  When I click on the "write a review" button it simply takes me to the page where it tells me it rejected my old review.  So, not only can I not edit the review that got rejected for whatever reason, but I can't write a different one.  Argghh!!

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Reader 2
Mktg
0 Kudos

Potential buyers have a right to know if an ebook is riddled with typographical errors. The review below was rejected for "inappropriate language." Since B&N will not refund an ebook purchase, it should allow its customers to be forewarned.

My hope is that the author, his editor or his publisher will see why someone would give an excellent author one star. The answer is that I am grading the egregious typographical errors in the book. Barnes & Noble claims this is the publisher’s fault. While this may be true, they still have no qualms in taking your money. If this were a hardbound book you could get your money back. With a shoddy ebook you are stuck with a poor reading experience and a book in your collection that you would never want to read again. St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur and Macmillan Publishers should be embarrassed.

Reader 2
Mktg
0 Kudos

PS. Mktg is currently having an endless chat with B&N Customer Service along the lines of previous comments in this thread, namely (a) what exactly is "inappropriate" in the review, (b) if you knew what was inappropriate, how would you change it, and (c) why do so many people have to go through the same hurdles?

Reader
COM801
0 Kudos

It seems that things have quieted down. It's March now and I seem to be experiencing the same issues that were being reported until January. Has this been resolved and I am just missing the edit button? Or has everyone just given up?
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

COM801 wrote:
It seems that things have quieted down. It's March now and I seem to be experiencing the same issues that were being reported until January. Has this been resolved and I am just missing the edit button? Or has everyone just given up?

I was able to get my review released from limbo by contacting Alex_G via Private Message.  He informed me that the review had been rejected because it contained the word "price," but he was able to release it, and he did.  If your review is still stuck, perhaps you should send Alex a PM.  He can probably release it for you.  He can also allow you to edit or rewrite it.

There is probably a single word (like "money") within the text of your review that the computer has been programmed to reject.  IMO, the list of unacceptable words has not been changed. 

Correspondent
Yatta99
0 Kudos

COM801 wrote:

I've pretty much just given up. In the 5 months that I've been around this site the main impression that I get is that someone (or several someones) at Corp HQ are bound and determined to put B&N out of business and run everything into the ground.

- The broken review system: Last year, I had my first (and only) review rejected for 'objectionable language'. An e-mail to CS asking what the problem was resulted in a response that suggested that I try a different web browser. As you can see, the review system is still badly broken.

- Shoddy equipment: You need only spend a few moments in these forums to notice the sheer number of complaints of dead chargers, cords that fall apart, cords that overheat and melt, 'new' units that are obviously re-ferbs, re-ferbs that don't work, etc.

- Over priced stuff:$20 for a new charger, $20 for a couple pieces of plastic and a bit of cloth (aka screen protector kit), $20 for a stylus, etc. I had a real giggle fit a few weeks back when I got the e-mail advertising a special on a 2GB uSD card (without adapter) for $12. I got my 8GB uSD card WITH adapter for $15 at Walmart.

- Target Audience: According to the spokesperson they let lose at a conference not long ago (link to the article is in a different thread and shouldn't be hard to find) the target audience is a female in the 25 to 30 age bracket with small children. She is bad with using or understanding technology and a common pocket calculator would cause her nightmares. Her name is Julie and she is very, very stupid.

- Membership: This is of vastly decreasing value IMHO. The mailings have stopped and the exclusion list keeps growing and growing. I spent over $400 last month at my local B&N and EVERYTHING that I got just happened to be on that exclusion list.

I've already decided that when it becomes time to upgrade my Nook Color I will not be getting anything from B&N. I'll get a full Android tablet instead and just run the Nook reader on that. Walled gardens that are full of weeds aren't all that attractive. As for why I am here if I think so poorly of this place, the only answer I can give is habit. And it's one that i don't intend on continuing much longer.