Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: So is this supposed to turn me off to self-publishing?

OK strange. I thought you wrote that you had shelve the research you did for one of your books.

Must have mis-read something.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Not so fast. I'm pretty sure Keri shelves her books.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In the context 5ivedom was talking about (putting a manuscript in a drawer to languish), I don't.  I let things rest so that I can get perspective on them while I work on other things, but I don't have anything sitting around that I'm never going to do anything with.

I don't really believe in wasting work, so I don't see myself ever having more than cuttings that I do nothing with.  Ideas that fail can be reused if the new context allows them to succeed.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Itwasajoke

You can always make sausage, right?

bobstro
0 Kudos

So I finished Blackbirds and have started on Wool...

Reaching back a bit, keriflur wrote:

I'm curious to hear how you like Wool.  I read the sample (the first two pages only), but it didn't draw me in enough to spend the ninety-nine cents.  I am exceedingly picky, though, and there have been a lot of books that, once I stuck it out, I came to enjoy.

I finished Blackbirds, which I enjoyed, but wasn't compelled by. I'm about 100 pages into the Wool omnibus. So far, I'm enjoying it, and do pick up my tablet just to read it. I like "lost past" post-apocalyptic stories in general, and this one's well written. I haven't gotten to any huge reveals yet, but it's smoothly written, with no jarring inconsistencies or lingering question marks. The one "big surprise" so far actually surprised me as I read the last line of the chapter. There are plenty of hints, but the writing was good enough that I didn't pick up on it. Blackbirds zoomed in on a handful of characters without really explaining how they got to be what they are. This one is painting a whole society and giving enough passing references to figure out how things got to be. I think I like the "it's not all about me" aspect.

(Yes, this belongs elsewhere, but I wanted to reply in-thread.)

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Link to article about David Mamet and established authors going self pub. Kind of a hybrid, agents handling promotion. 

Hard to say whether this is a disgruntled old lion, unhappy that he is no longer an A lister for his publisher or publishers are dropping the ball.

Article is balanced, + - of choices included. Models are evolving, hopefully the new options result in more high quality books and more income for authors, while retaining affordability for readers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/business/media/david-mamet-and-other-big-authors-choose-to-self-pu...

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link PatGolfNeb.

For established authors it's a very interesting situation.

If your brand is built up and if you no longer want to give 75% to Publishers for doing promotion and polishing, then going solo makes sense.

One thing I can tell you is that some of the self-published authors who are doing super well (100K+ sales a month) are ones who have a brand and then decided to do self-publishing.

They get a dual benefit

1) They already have the brand and the 'social proof'/'curation proof' of being published.

2) They can price lower ($3 to $5) and become much more compelling than similarly established authors whose books are at $10 and whose backlist is at $7 to $12.

Basically, in books, most of the brand is with the Author.

So Publishers are in trouble if an author decides to go solo.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Hugh Howey's gotten himself into trouble

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/15/self_publishing_star_faces_backlash_for_misogynist_rant_partner/

I read this when he originally posted it to his blog.  I found it offensive, but not as much as a lot of other folks did, apparently.

I wonder if this will help or hurt sales of his books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: So I finished Blackbirds and have started on Wool...

bobstro wrote:

Reaching back a bit, keriflur wrote:

I'm curious to hear how you like Wool.  I read the sample (the first two pages only), but it didn't draw me in enough to spend the ninety-nine cents.  I am exceedingly picky, though, and there have been a lot of books that, once I stuck it out, I came to enjoy.

I finished Blackbirds, which I enjoyed, but wasn't compelled by. I'm about 100 pages into the Wool omnibus. So far, I'm enjoying it, and do pick up my tablet just to read it. I like "lost past" post-apocalyptic stories in general, and this one's well written. I haven't gotten to any huge reveals yet, but it's smoothly written, with no jarring inconsistencies or lingering question marks. The one "big surprise" so far actually surprised me as I read the last line of the chapter. There are plenty of hints, but the writing was good enough that I didn't pick up on it. Blackbirds zoomed in on a handful of characters without really explaining how they got to be what they are. This one is painting a whole society and giving enough passing references to figure out how things got to be. I think I like the "it's not all about me" aspect.

(Yes, this belongs elsewhere, but I wanted to reply in-thread.)

Interesting.  I may have to read a bit more and see if I like it.

To be honest, it was the writing in the sample that pushed me away from buying it.  His prose felt a bit purple, as if he was trying to be lyrical but didn't know how to evoke the feeling of the event without a plethora of modifiers.  But if the story's good, I can deal with the purpleness to a point.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: So I finished Blackbirds and have started on Wool...

keriflur wrote:

To be honest, it was the writing in the sample that pushed me away from buying it.  His prose felt a bit purple, as if he was trying to be lyrical but didn't know how to evoke the feeling of the event without a plethora of modifiers. 

The sample was the first few pages of the first chapter, right? I'll have to look at them again. I know the book starts with a line about "climbing to his death", and I do recall thinking he'd better deliver. IMO, he did well enough. He does go to great lengths to emphasize the age of the place, but I think he's managed to get across that the place is "modern" (for us), yet old and somewhat decrepit (for the characters) without giving a history of how it got that way. Mind you, I'm no expert, but I am enjoying it. I recall marveling at how worn stone statues were after 750 years (lions worn down to nubs), so imaging steel stairs worn and aged struck a chord with me.

But if the story's good, I can deal with the purpleness to a point.

I think I like his style better than attempts to be edgy with language. A mood or setting means a lot more to me than words out of a character's mouth. I spent some time in my youth working with, and getting to know German WWII veterans and survivors. A setting can evoke feelings of dread and horror far without a word of profanity in my mind. Not that I'm a prude. It's just that a good setting frames things so well.