Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Hugh Howey's gotten himself into trouble

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/15/self_publishing_star_faces_backlash_for_misogynist_rant_partner/

I read this when he originally posted it to his blog.  I found it offensive, but not as much as a lot of other folks did, apparently.

I wonder if this will help or hurt sales of his books.

My dad used to emphasize that one should "never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut" or words to that effect.

Describing those sorts of fantasies, including thoughts formulated during commuter traffic, out loud is usually not a great idea. He took his rather level-headed response to the incident when it happened and turned it into something hot-headed and immature. Sounds like he's been fuming over it quite a bit.

I would hope it wouldn't hurt is book success, but image does matter. Mel Gibson isnt' the first personality to learn this the hard way. It's hard to gain respect once lost.

I read some of the commentary. I do think the "slap" comment is attributed to his wife (who no doubt didn't appreciate having a personal conversation quoted) but overall, the piece definitely set a bad tone. But, in all honesty, wading through some of Wengel's "gonzo" meanderings can be a bit tiresome as well, even if I'm not offended. While he isn't quite as directly misogynistic, he certainly obsesses about having sex with people and things a lot. I could do with a bit less worrying about what he wants to hump while trying to figure out what his point is. His "500" ebooks are not a lot of fun to wade through, even though I'm highlighting a lot of good points.

I think there's a very thin line for people who suddenly find themselves in the spotlight to be aware of. Entertaining and charming can turn to obnoxious and boorish very quickly, and once that happens, your future and past work is open to renwed scrutiny.Taint is hard to wash off. To paraphrase dad, "when in doubt, shut up." Blogs can be great for outreach and contacting your base, but boy can they be unforgiving if you misread them.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I think of this as the Donald Trump effect. Someone get attention for statements. Encouraged they keep topping themselves untill bafoonery takes over. He knew he was making a mistake, his wife warned him, if he didn't have doubts why ask her? 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

patgolfneb wrote:

He knew he was making a mistake, his wife warned him, if he didn't have doubts why ask her? 

There is a lesson in here.  :smileywink:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Firstly - agree with this.

I think of this as the Donald Trump effect. Someone get attention for statements. Encouraged they keep topping themselves untill bafoonery takes over.

Secondly - I think Hugh Howey should be careful.

He's upsetting a lot of people already by being a successful indie author who is spreading the self-publishing gospel. Last thing he needs is to give people any more reasons to target him.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

He's upsetting a lot of people already by being a successful indie author who is spreading the self-publishing gospel.

So self-publishing is a religion now?  Or a cult?

It certainly would explain why facts seem to be irrelevant when folks talk about it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, most strong movements have characteristics of a cult or religion.

The BBC did this article (which they then pulled, presumably due to it being unscientific) that showed that for one Apple lover the same areas of his brain were triggered for Apple devices as for God.

You just have to browse any online forum to see people be 'religious' and/or display 'cult-like' following towards their favorite products etc.

It's identification with the product/brand/message where it becomes a part of a person's identity and then they perceive any thing said against it as a threat to their own person and sense of self-worth.

Now that's for a DEVICE that you carry around.

With self-publishing, the authors who hit it big are getting -

1) Money to work as a writer.

2) Recognition and readers.

3) In some cases - Lots of money.

4) In a few cases - film deals or pilots or script options.

5) Publisher deals - which some of them do only for hardcover.

So, obviously, their love and feelings towards self-publishing border on religious and/or cult-like.

The twist is - It's SIMILAR for published authors and their feelings towards Publishing.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

The twist is - It's SIMILAR for published authors and their feelings towards Publishing.

No, it's not.  For those folks, it's a JOB, not a religion.  HUGE difference.

I speak this from the experience of actually knowing quite a few of these folks and having met many, many others, and many publishing professionals.

There are a lot of self-pubbers who believe it's the same, but it's not.  Remember my point above about facts being ignored?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Did you read the article about Kindle and Reading by Nicholas Baker?

This: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/03/090803fa_fact_baker

There are definitely people in Publishing who are religious about their beliefs about books and publishing.

I'm not arguing that all authors are like that.

It's usually the ones who are most successful and most invested in either traditional publishing or self-publishing that are the most strong in their beliefs.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Hugh Howey's Wool in theaters now!

[ Edited ]
Thought I'd give this post a hyperbolic headline. I finished Wool on the trip home, and enjoyed it. I was surprised to see it at the theater today. The book, that is. They were giving away copies. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to know why, nor was there any other promotional material to be seen. I only snagged one because I asked and was told it was free. Not a well handled promotion at my local theater, but that's the first direct promo linking a book to what I assume will be a movie soon. Is Hollywood finding synergy with print? Both film and print need to evolve. Perhaps in more complimentary ways? Will we see a self made film top box office someday?
bobstro
0 Kudos

5ivedom, did you read that article through to the end? It was written in 2009, and in the end (spoiler alert) the author concedes the Kindle worked. It's not about publishing.