Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Hugh Howey's gotten himself into trouble

5ivedom wrote:

Did you read the article about Kindle and Reading by Nicholas Baker?

This: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/03/090803fa_fact_baker

There are definitely people in Publishing who are religious about their beliefs about books and publishing.

I'm not arguing that all authors are like that.

It's usually the ones who are most successful and most invested in either traditional publishing or self-publishing that are the most strong in their beliefs.

No, I have not read it and unfortunately don't have time to right now (I'm at a writer's conference), but I did skim through and this appears to be an article on the kindle 2 and what it's like to read on it.  Not sure what that has to do with the pub industry being a religion...

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Hugh Howey's Wool in theaters now!

bobstro wrote:
Thought I'd give this post a hyperbolic headline. I finished Wool on the trip home, and enjoyed it. I was surprised to see it at the theater today. The book, that is. They were giving away copies. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to know why, nor was there any other promotional material to be seen. I only snagged one because I asked and was told it was free. Not a well handled promotion at my local theater, but that's the first direct promo linking a book to what I assume will be a movie soon. Is Hollywood finding synergy with print? Both film and print need to evolve. Perhaps in more complimentary ways? Will we see a self made film top box office someday?

Wool's been optioned by 20th Century Fox (according to wikipedia, at least), which means there may or may not be a film (lots of rights are optioned and very few ever become films).  We'll have to hold out to see what they decide to do with those rights.

Weird that they were giving away copies in a theater with no explanation.  Maybe it's not selling so well in print?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur wrote: Not sure what that has to do with the pub industry being a religion...

If you read it (later, at your leisure) and not just skim it, you'll understand what I mean.

bobstro

5ivedom wrote:

If you read it (later, at your leisure) and not just skim it, you'll understand what I mean.

If you search the entire aritcle, there are 5 references to publishing, one of which is a reference to Bezo's claim that the Kindle would change publishing, and 3 of which appear in a paragraph describing the then (2009) lack of available titles on the Kindle 2. The last is a mention of newspaper publishing. Unless you want to read an exposition about 5 year old technology, a skim is more than sufficient. I think his complaint about lack of color and resolution on ereaders has been more than addressed in the 3+ years since that article was news.

The best part of the article was the reference to a title no longer available on the Kindle. It is another example sure to inflame the arguments over B&N versus Amazon pricing. ($1,034.95. Seriously?)

I have read the entire article, and yet to see anything about traditional versus self-publishing. Are you sure you got the link right, 5ivedom?

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

Keriflur wrote: Not sure what that has to do with the pub industry being a religion...

So I read this entire article and still have no idea what you're talking about.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You're right.