Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lola_maria
0 Kudos

Re: I Need/Have a Book Recommendation!

[ Edited ]

I can definitely recomend Twilight. Its a book full of romance, but very well written. It isnt targetted specifically to girls so it is broad enough for both genders to enjoy! It takes vampires to another level. It is the story of a girl who moved in with her dad, and in her new town she meets a guy and they fall in love even though they werent supposed to be with each other. The book, from the moment you pick it up makes you keep reading it, even though its pretty long, it can be read in a day. The main characters are so meant for eachother that you wish you were them and the story line makes sense with each chapter you read. If you enjoy beautiful romances, and the suspence of love being threatened by the scent of blood then this book is for you!

Rating: 10/10

Sara Mejia.

Message Edited by lola_maria on 12-06-2008 09:44 PM
New User
lola_maria
0 Kudos

The only reason why i would recomend New Moon is because you have to read it to understand the rest of the two books that follow. it wasnt that good compared to Twilight, and thats why it was so hard to get through it. Basically the whole plot was about Jacob which i didnt like; and it was very slow to read. to give you somewhat of an idea, i read Twilight in two school nights(and i'm a slow reader) and it took me a whole week to get through New Moon. I would definitely have to say that it at the end it get a lot better, and it makes it worth while to have read it. In the end, you begin to put together everything that you didnt understand in the beginning. If you liked Twilight and want to continue the series New Moon is a must, but remember, dont expect it to be like Twilight. 

I would give New Moon a 5 out of 10

I would give Twilight a 10 out of 10

Sara Mejia.

Contributor
Appleseed
0 Kudos

I read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak recently and I loved it as well.  I loved The Diary of Anne Frank as a little girl and was so glad that I read Zusak's book as an adult.  It was a wonderfully written book and it does stay with you long after you are done. 

If you liked that one try the non-fiction title The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerman.

--With every book I read I learn a little bit more about myself--
Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm Daria, from Southern California. I am new to these threads, but I am looking forward to being part of the community. I love to talk to people about books.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-fiction travel book. I enjoy the work of Bill Bryson, and I am looking for a similar author. I am also reading "Tales of a Continental Drifter". This is a very good book as well. It is quite funny. I am looking for recomendations on a new book of this nature. I will be starting my first look book soon, but I tend to read two books at once.

I was also wondering if there is a way to start a thread with people who start reading the same book at the same time. I am new to this online book club thing, and I'm not sure how to dive in. This is one reason why I joined the first look club. We are all going to be reading the same book at the same time. 

Daria

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW-- What a Ride! Thanks, God!"
Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

I forgot to ask my own question about the "Twilight" series. I was wondering if it is really a book for the more mature reader. A friend of the family is reading it, and she likes it. The problem is, I know that she tends to like really immature writers. I tend to find most of the books she reads really juvenile. If it is a book that a person in their thirties would find appealing, I'd pick one up. I am hoping that this will be a better place to get a review, as you all are avid readers of all kinds of books. Thank you so much for any responses.

Daria

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW-- What a Ride! Thanks, God!"
Contributor
Ashok
0 Kudos

Re: I Have a Book Recommendation!

I recently read an outstanding travelogue, 'Shadow of the Silk Road', a nonfiction travel book by Colin Thubron. It is a remarkable journey along the ancient silk trade route that connected the cultures of Central Asia and ancient Persia. Thubron begins his journey from Xian city in China, travels to Kasgar introducing the readers with imaginary visuals of caravans that were lost in sand storms thousands of years ago. He crosses a number of borders before entering Afghanistan to glimpse the brutality of the Taliban regime against Hazara tribes. Some seven thousand miles later making his way by local buses, donkey carts and camels he reaches Iran and then Turkey. The entire travel time was nearly eight months.

What motivated Thubron to take this dangerous journey along the most dangerous parts of the world? He answers this question in these words: A hundred reasons clamour for your going. You go to touch on human identities, to people an empty map. You have a notion that this is the world's heart. You go to encounter the protean shapes of faith. You go because you are still young and crave excitement, the crunch of your boots in the dust; you go because you are old and need to understand something before it's too late. You go to see what will happen.

Readers of 'Shadow of Silk Road' will be impressed by the way author deals with difficult people during his journey. One feels that perhaps the habit of interacting with strangers makes you fearless and at home among unpredictable people. The confidence and faith in humanity keeps you going and enriches your understanding about the world.

Reading 'Shadow of the Silk Road' is encountering Islamic culture in many forms. The reader will feel the sense of false nationalisms and will come face to face with tribes who reject political borders in their daily life.
Frequent Contributor
Carley124
0 Kudos

I need a book to read! I'm really into fantasy/paranormal books.  I would prefer a series but novels are okay, too. Other than that, I'll read mostly anything. Any suggesstions?...
Contributor
suicide_kings_wild
0 Kudos

My wife gave me a book called The Lost...A search for six of six million by Daniel Mendelsohn. I recommend this book.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

In the RCBC general fiction club we read Garden Spells  and it was great. You can probably still find the discussion of it.

Carley124 wrote:
I need a book to read! I'm really into fantasy/paranormal books.  I would prefer a series but novels are okay, too. Other than that, I'll read mostly anything. Any suggesstions?...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Lori Handeland writes a lot of good paranormal suspense books.  Although that is not the normal genre I read, I somehow ran into her site and signed up for her newsletter.   She ran a contest and I won an autographed copy of her book, "Hunter's Moon".
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney