Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jalb
0 Kudos

Traveling to Europe?

If you're doing any traveling, I would recommend my series of ebook Menu Translators. They work on your Nook or Kindle or most any mobile device and list hundreds of menu items in the native language, with a brief English definition. They also include handy phrases and pronunciation guides.

Available for France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain and Portugal

see them here:

http://bit.ly/dxMLlk

Frequent Contributor
jalb
0 Kudos

Sorry

Sorry, just saw that I wasn't supposed to push my own book here...so, please disregard earlier post about Traveling to Europe

Reader 2
SteffieK
0 Kudos

Re: I Need/Have a Book Recommendation!

I am looking for a book that will provide a challenge to my brain. Something out of the ordinary. Anything like Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves", Steven Hall's "The Raw Shark Texts" or Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Angel's Game". Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SteffieK wrote:

I am looking for a book that will provide a challenge to my brain. Something out of the ordinary. Anything like Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves", Steven Hall's "The Raw Shark Texts" or Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Angel's Game". Thanks!

A bit different than what you list, but perhaps:

The Grand Design  

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!  

Maps

Or something by Llosa, this year's Nobel winner, such as:

Captain Pantoja and the Special Service

Lighter, but I enjoyed

Einstein's Dreams  and

Chaos , not a particularly new book any more.

As you undoubtedly know, there are many directions to stretch one's brain.  Others will certainly have ideas from other fields, genres, and perspectives.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SteffieK wrote:

Postscript -- have you read this one:
Underworld  
It may feel a bit dated to you now, but I tackled it about a year or so ago and rather enjoyed it.  (I listened to much of it.)
PSS -- thanks for the books you listed.  I haven't read any of them, but will probably check them out a bit more and perhaps add to my own TBR.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
2obscure
0 Kudos

Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.  It got me through

Reader 2
SteffieK
0 Kudos

Daria -

As a readof of the Twilight series, I would say to you "stay away". I read all four of them simply because I started them and had to know how it ended. The writing was terrible. It is not for a mature reader - though it somehow still got me hooked.

New User
dawn4574
0 Kudos

I have a book recommendation.  "The Bride Wears Army Boots", by Barbara Foley.  This book truely helps you heal and develope your body, mind and spirit.  This is the only book I ever read that has given me what I need when it comes to overcoming.  I highly recommend it to anyone struggling with anything.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dawn4574 wrote:

I have a book recommendation.  "The Bride Wears Army Boots", by Barbara Foley.  This book truely helps you heal and develope your body, mind and spirit.  This is the only book I ever read that has given me what I need when it comes to overcoming.  I highly recommend it to anyone struggling with anything.

The Bride Wears Army Boots!  by Ph.D. Barbara Foley

Don't know about this one.  Befuddled by the description.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

The Kitchen House

by Kathleen Grissom - an excellent /quick read; had a hard time putting it down.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom