Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NashKhatri
0 Kudos

IF the Titanic had had enough lifeboats ....

While statements such as “If the Titanic had had enough lifeboats, not as many people would have died” have merit from a historical perspective in terms of learning from past mistakes, we have no way of knowing whether the giant ship would have hit the fateful iceberg and sunk had there been even a single extra lifeboat on board.

That's a quote from my book.

www.ThinkingIsAuthorized.com

Distinguished Correspondent
Taylor-Marie
0 Kudos

Re: IF the Titanic had had enough lifeboats ....

Nice statement.

But as if having more lifeboats would have been more helpful, they barely used the ones they already had.

-------------------
My teachers tell me I daydream too much....I tell them they work too much.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

I honestly don't see any connection between the Titanic hitting the iceberg and the amount of lifeboats on board. Are you saying an extra life boat or two would have somehow scared off the iceberg?

NashKhatri wrote:

While statements such as “If the Titanic had had enough lifeboats, not as many people would have died” have merit from a historical perspective in terms of learning from past mistakes, we have no way of knowing whether the giant ship would have hit the fateful iceberg and sunk had there been even a single extra lifeboat on board.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

I honestly don't see any connection between the Titanic hitting the iceberg and the amount of lifeboats on board. Are you saying an extra life boat or two would have somehow scared off the iceberg?

NashKhatri wrote:

Sounds like the butterfly effect.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
NashKhatri
0 Kudos

The quote after the previous one is "That’s because we don’t have any way of knowing what path the past states would have followed if a single event, however great or minuscule it may appear, would have happened in a slightly different way than it actually did."
Contributor
NashKhatri
0 Kudos

Of course, I'm not saying that, PaulH - are you being funny? ha!

The next quote expresses the (philosophical) point of the discussion:

"Due to endless inter-linkages, everything, including possibly our own existence, would had to have changed to accommodate any tweaking in the past state envisioned by the if statement. For the present to be what it actually is, the past had to have taken the unique path that it actually did, since the very beginning."  
Contributor
NashKhatri
0 Kudos

Not quite, dulcinea3. There's a subtle difference.

The Butterfly Effect Theory asserts that the flapping of a single butterfly’s wings today produces a minuscule change in the state of the atmosphere that, over a period of time, results in a large-scale impact that otherwise may not have occurred.

My take on this is slightly different; I assert that regardless of how minor our actions may seem (and irrespective of whether those actions will eventually have a large-scale impact), we will nonetheless contribute to the particular overall situation (i.e., state) of the universe, indefinitely into the future.