Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

IPG pulls e-books from Amazon

Publishers Weekly reports that the Independent Publishers Group, a distributor for (surprise!) independent publishers, has pulled all of its represented e-books from the Kindle store effective yesterday. Amazon had been demanding a higher percentage on each sale, and IPG couldn't accept the new terms.

Printed books aren't affected.

This doesn't seem to be a major development, but it does slightly offset the Kindle exclusives. From what I can tell, IPG's other e-book outlets are all DRMed EPUB, so those e-books aren't available to Kindle users.

Distinguished Correspondent
moldybagel

Re: IPG pulls e-books from Amazon

Glad they had it in them to pull the books instead of be sucked dry by the hgher demands of Amazon!

Thanks for sharing!

I love messages! Feel free to message me for help, nook friend requests, to talk, or for any other reason!
Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

So they are giving great deals to those who publish with them, and try to squeeze the Independents who do not.. I smell a fish here.. Like did they plan this in hopes those who were with IP will now float to their Exlusive design because Amazon sells more ebooks then the others..

OK.. yes I sound like a conspiricy theorist..

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Not a conspiracy, but this is basically the model Walmart has used so successfully. Once a certain size is reached squeeze suppliers for bigger discounts to increase price advantage = more market share squeeze some more. Harder to do in e books since China, India, Indonesia option is currently not an option. Hardly illegal but short term price savinggs has long term social costs many believe, hard to document and prove but I tend to believe it does.
Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

True about the Walmart squeeze. But the difference is Walmart is not squeezing the merchandisers of say lawn furniture, while at the same time enticing independent makers of lawn furnature to sign up under their own Walmart merchandising for bigger profit.

It just seems between this and the battle with the libraries, and all the other things Amazon is doing, it is really trying to monopolize the market.. Maybe before Apple gets more into the playing field.. Maybe because the think they are now big enough to over take the market..

I say they might have been getting big enough, but the are moving too fast.. A slower pace may have gained them ground here & there, while publishers & vendors did not see the big picture. But, the moved to fast an started wars.

They might still be big enough to win the war, but had they gone slower, victory would probably been won without a war, because they would have gotten too big to even fight. Right now I still fear they may win, but the publishers have a small shot. Or possibly it will kill the publishers, but not without them putting enough of a monkey wrench into Amazons take-over as to de-rail it and the smaller publishers and independents will end up winning..

Don't know but battle lines are definately being drawn, and Amazon definately has some sort of take-over game plan in mind.

Well I hope the Independent publishers keep their Authors, as the make a stand..

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Don't store and captive brands serve a similar purpose? The speed thought is interesting. I think this may be more about Apple than the publishers. Apple is the one company out there who can match their resources. Apple is sitting on a pile of cash perhaps they want to make it so expensive Apple will decide to invest elsewhere.
Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I guess, but don't quite see it the same..

A)

half the stuff that are in-store brands I would not buy because they are not the flavor I have become use to.. (Can anyone really replace Kraft mac&cheese with a store bought brand..?). Normally the name brands are either better, or at least you have grown to like those seasonings and something else is just different.. So you can go cheap to save money, or buy brand-name..

B)

Almost every Grocery store has their in-store bargain brands.. So you don't have to go to Walmart for Bargain Cheerios when Hannafords down the street also carries a bargain brand.

C)

I can't see Walmart ever getting a monopoly onf a food item.. say... milk, where someday the only place I can buy my milk is at Walmart..

Well Amazon may not be able to have a monopoly on all books but that would be the same as Walmart having a monopoly on all food..  They can though sign up some great authors exclusively and then if I really wanted to buy a book from that author I am stuck with Amazon..

Or another way to put it.. If Amazon exclusives were their own version of classics, like Cinderella, Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood  well, this is equivalent to what a store-brand has to offer.. A cheaper knock-off of the most popular items already being sold.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Amazon would like to see B&N and the Nook go the way of Borders.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This fight may have had a lot to do (again) with "agency model" pricing.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/23/2817936/amazon-pulls-5000-titles-from-kindle-store-after-ipg-refus...

Freedom is not free.