Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BellasMomma
0 Kudos

Interested in SERIOUS Writer's/Writing Workshops

Any online writer's/writing workshops going on online? I belong to a local writer's group, and it has helped me immensely, but I really want to hone my skills. Try to find local workshops but all I find are expensive seminars and conferences. Don't really have the extra cash. Any suggestions?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Interested in SERIOUS Writer's/Writing Workshops

http://writingclasses.com  - This is the Gotham Writers' Workshop.

What kind of writing do you do (i.e. nonfiction, fiction, literary, romance, sci-fi, teen)?

Contributor
BellasMomma
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

http://writingclasses.com  - This is the Gotham Writers' Workshop.

What kind of writing do you do (i.e. nonfiction, fiction, literary, romance, sci-fi, teen)?

I'm pretty much totally fiction... I write what I like to read... SciFi, horror, supernatural/paranormal. I usually (at least so far) blend a little of all those things when I write, at least I am on my current project.

RHWright
0 Kudos

@BellasMomma:

Keep in mind, once you reach a certain level, books and free feedback from other writers (with various experience/credits) can only go so far.

Sooner or later, if you feel you need more help, you're going to have to pay for it. Professionals don't work for free. (Aside from some "giving back" to the community.)

Just do your research and find a quality program you can afford. I'm not saying you need to go out and get (and pay $$$) for an MFA, but a reasonably priced course or two at a local/community college might be worth the time and investment, if you plan to pursue writing as a career.

Depending on where you are, you may find these course offered online as well, if that is more convenient.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FWIW, I did a certificate program in my genre at my local university (in my case, University of Washington).  It wasn't cheap (tho it was nowhere near as pricey as an MFA), but it was worth every penny and then some.  I learned so much more than I learned in my online classes because the writers who were admitted to the program were stronger and my instructors were phenomenal.  My current writing group and critique group members were all in my classes, and IMO each of them are exceptional writers who make me a better writer.

That said, it took me a lot of trial and error to find the right program for me.  I was willing to invest $$ into this program because I felt confident about the instructors and the program.  If improving your writing is important to you, it's worth the time and effort to find the right classes and it's worth the $$ to take them.

ETA: By genre I don't mean sci-fi/romance/western, but fiction/non-fiction/children's.  I write for teens, and I was fortunate enough to find a program specific to writing for children and teens.

New User
AnnalyseKnight
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fictionista Workshop is a FREE service where dedicated writers, editors and participants come together and workshop stories. Participants are dedicated to helping authors produce publishable manuscripts and do so because they love what they do. I disagree that you need to pay a professional to receive honest, educated and valuable critique. They have two different programs.

The workshops:

Each workshop consists of a moderator, one author, a copy editor, a story editor/analyst, a character/dialog participant, and a research participant. Each story is accepted through a panel of judges, and the amount of participants that apply determine how many workshops they can handle. It is a twelve week course where the author works closely with his/her team to strengthen their manuscript.

The Collective:

Less formal than the workshops, Fictionista groups a moderator and three authors together, who have similar genres, experience, and where they are in the completion of their story. This is a work-in-progress program (though completed manuscripts are accepted as well), where you can come in with your novel anywhere between completed or it is just an idea. The collective teams work together to encourage and critique each others work as they write, or with a completed manuscript offer more indepth critique.

Both programs have benefits, and it really depends on the kind of help you need. I encourage you to check out their website. http://fictionistaworkshop.com I have been a participant in the workshops as a story analyst and have been an author twice and think the experience has been amazing and has helped me understand more of why most manuscripts hit the slush pile and how to avoid it.

Annalyse Knight
Aspiring author. Obsessive reader. Candid reviewer.
Fictionista Workshop, Project Manager-Writers
http://www.fictionistaworkshop.com
http://www.annalyseknight.com
Contributor
BellasMomma
0 Kudos

Thanks to all who replied. And thank you Analysse for your very helpful link and comments. I'm extremely encouraged. Hope to keep in touch with you and everyone who replied.

Happy writing!

AnnalyseKnight wrote:

Fictionista Workshop is a FREE service where dedicated writers, editors and participants come together and workshop stories. Participants are dedicated to helping authors produce publishable manuscripts and do so because they love what they do. I disagree that you need to pay a professional to receive honest, educated and valuable critique. They have two different programs.

The workshops:

Each workshop consists of a moderator, one author, a copy editor, a story editor/analyst, a character/dialog participant, and a research participant. Each story is accepted through a panel of judges, and the amount of participants that apply determine how many workshops they can handle. It is a twelve week course where the author works closely with his/her team to strengthen their manuscript.

The Collective:

Less formal than the workshops, Fictionista groups a moderator and three authors together, who have similar genres, experience, and where they are in the completion of their story. This is a work-in-progress program (though completed manuscripts are accepted as well), where you can come in with your novel anywhere between completed or it is just an idea. The collective teams work together to encourage and critique each others work as they write, or with a completed manuscript offer more indepth critique.

Both programs have benefits, and it really depends on the kind of help you need. I encourage you to check out their website. http://fictionistaworkshop.com I have been a participant in the workshops as a story analyst and have been an author twice and think the experience has been amazing and has helped me understand more of why most manuscripts hit the slush pile and how to avoid it.