Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 525
Solutions: 41

Introducing NOOK for WEB

Hi Everyone,

Today, we’re excited to introduce NOOK for Web, an innovative and free new browser experience that offers readers the ability to explore the hottest digital titles and bestselling books right from their computer – no sign-in, software download or NOOK account required to begin reading. With fast and easy access from any PC or Mac® browser, NOOK for Web seamlessly combines NOOK’s award-winning digital reading experience with access to Barnes & Noble’s expansive NOOK Store. Now, anyone who loves to read can browse, sample and become instantly immersed in a NOOK-like reading environment from any browser, with support coming this fall for Internet-enabled tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices.

NOOK for Web features the elegant, immersive digital reading experience millions of NOOK customers have come to know and love:

• Enjoy free samples of the majority of NOOK Books and begin reading with just a click on the “Read Instantly” icon. There’s no need to sign in, create an account or download additional software in order to sample content. NOOK for Web supports all PC and Mac-supported Web browsers including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
  • Get lost in a great read with the realistic book-like layout, including clear page numbers at the bottom of each screen and an innovative slider allowing users to easily track the number of pages remaining in a chapter or quickly scroll to another section.
  • Customize the reading experience using the intuitive navigation bar. Choose between 8 fonts and 8 font sizes and a single or double page layout. Simply collapse the navigation bar once preferences are selected to reveal a clean, easy-to-read page.
  • Rate, review and share thoughts or recommend books via Twitter, Facebook or e-mail without even leaving the book.
  • Access more information about the book while reading, plus thousands of helpful editorial and customer reviews at your fingertips.
  • Learn what to read next with personalized recommendations from Barnes & Noble’s expert booksellers – from must-read new releases to up-and-coming authors – all in the customizable Shop window.

Shop from the ever-expanding NOOK Store, buy NOOK Books in seconds (the majority for $9.99 or less), and select purchases right from your personal NOOK Library to open and begin reading from any Web browser.

NOOK for Web is now available at www.nook.com/NOOKforWeb with no download required. Simply browse for books in the NOOK Book Store and look for the “Read Instantly” icon to begin reading any book.

In addition, beginning today, Barnes & Noble is offering six bestselling NOOK Books in their entirety at no charge for readers to try NOOK’s award-winning digital reading experience online. With popular summer titles the entire family will enjoy, customers can visit www.nook.com/NOOKforWeb to browse the list of complimentary titles available, including Map of Bones by James Rollins, Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell, The Vow by Kim Carpenter, The Boxcar Children Summer Special by Gertrude Chandler Warner, Brave by Tennant Redbank and Perfect Island Getaways by Patricia Schultz, instantly read the sample, and then download the entire book for free on any browser now through July 26.

NOOK readers now have a new way to read instantly - and 6 great free books to get started!

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Introducing NOOK for WEB

YAY!

Kobo used to have that feature and I loved it (alas, it is gone now).  This is a big draw for me, as it lets me read on my lunch hour without looking like I'm reading on my lunch hour.  I will definitely buy more books from B&N because of this feature.

Now if I can just figure out how to install a browser that it will work with... (work pc = restrictions)

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,290
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

You are not supposed to be reading on your lunch hour ???

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
keriflur

DeanGibson wrote:

You are not supposed to be reading on your lunch hour ???

I don't think the company cares at all, but I really hate when people see me reading and then want to start up a conversation about what I'm reading - I'd rather just read.  :smileyhappy:

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,290
Solutions: 18

keriflur wrote:
... I really hate when people see me reading and then want to start up a conversation about what I'm reading - I'd rather just read.  :smileyhappy:

It's even worse for photographers w/ decent cameras, trying to take pictures in a public area.  You get people coming up and asking, "does that camera take good pictures?" or some such.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
keriflur
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

keriflur wrote:
... I really hate when people see me reading and then want to start up a conversation about what I'm reading - I'd rather just read.  :smileyhappy:

It's even worse for photographers w/ decent cameras, trying to take pictures in a public area.  You get people coming up and asking, "does that camera take good pictures?" or some such.

Yes.  I have a 50D and when it first came out I got that all the time.  I was so excited about it though, I didn't really mind all the questions.  Now I mostly just get people looking at me weird because they don't understand what I'm photographing.

RHWright
0 Kudos

Alex-

I know it's just released, but any chance of NOOK for Web supporting comics and graphic novels in the near future?

I'm not investing in a Color or Tablet any time soon (very happy with my NST), but I would certainly start buying and adding titles to my library if I could read them in a browser. Of course, if B&N doesn't want my money ... :smileylol:

Just a thought.