Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Is Barnes and Noble Open on Christmas Day?

I see a sign posted at the Barnes and Noble store that states open 365 days.  So, this means Barnes and Noble is open on Christmas Day?

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Is Barnes and Noble Open on Christmas Day?

Really is this new? Your area? There wasn't one at mine last week.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I reside in Phoenix and there is a sign on the front of the store stating:  "Open 365 days of the year."

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The sign at my store gives the physical store hours, then underneath says BN.com is open 24/7, 365 days a year.

There are over 700 brick-and-mortar stores; one store may change the days that it is open due to local trends.  if you are curious, check with the manager of your local store.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Melissa_W, I took your advice and called the local Barnes and Noble store where I shop.  I spoke to a Customer Service Rep and she told me some good news.  She said that the store is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.  I think it's wonderful that the store is closed on those two holidays.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Yeah, that sign can be rather miss-leading if you don't take the time to read all of it...

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Is this yet another sign that B&N is trying to get people to buy online instead of at the store?  Drawing attention to the fact that you can shop online when the store is closed?

I hope not - I love shopping at the store.  Randomly browsing online is tedious, but very pleasurable at the store.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I wouldn't over-read a simple sign.

But, the economics of carrying inventory and maintaining a physical location must be extremely challenging to bookstores in today's economic environs.

If our states weren't in such dire straits, I would argue that we should petition our legislatures that books be released from sales tax collection.  Because Barnes and Noble has physical stores and a decision was made a number of years ago to exempt Internet only businesses from sales tax collection, I buy enough books that I find that alone can be a decision factor.  Only substantial discount offers keep me buying in brick and mortar bookstores.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Is this yet another sign that B&N is trying to get people to buy online instead of at the store?  Drawing attention to the fact that you can shop online when the store is closed?

I hope not - I love shopping at the store.  Randomly browsing online is tedious, but very pleasurable at the store.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

That tax on the books bites us all. :smileysurprised:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

I wouldn't over-read a simple sign.

But, the economics of carrying inventory and maintaining a physical location must be extremely challenging to bookstores in today's economic environs.

If our states weren't in such dire straits, I would argue that we should petition our legislatures that books be released from sales tax collection.  Because Barnes and Noble has physical stores and a decision was made a number of years ago to exempt Internet only businesses from sales tax collection, I buy enough books that I find that alone can be a decision factor.  Only substantial discount offers keep me buying in brick and mortar bookstores.

dulcinea3 wrote:

I guess I am taking it in conjunction with other things, such as much higher prices in the store than online, the reported removal of chairs and reading areas in the stores, a less welcoming atmosphere, the reported elimination of large sections of books to make way for the nook, etc.  All these things taken together do not seem to bode well for the brick-and-mortar stores.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia