Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Is the Presence of the Christ Universal, or Is Christ Unique To Christians?

[ Edited ]

Goodness and truth and love are universal, some call it Christ, others have other names.

Good point T and all the world's major religions have taught 'goodness, truth and love'. Some for decades before the historical Christ existed (if he existed).   These concepts are, in any case, about ethics, not religious belief. 

Timbuktu1 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

An interesting semantics problem. Are you all referring to Jesus, Jesus referred to as The Christ or the Christ concept? Or are you each talking about something different?

Timbuktu1 wrote:
I think what you're describing can come to different people in different ways. Goodness and truth and love are universal, some call it Christ, others have other names.

thewanderingjew wrote:
you can only believe in this theory of connecting to g-d through christ as an entity, if you believe in christ as the son of g-d. you have elimated a good portion of the population with this theory. i find it easy to believe in him as a man, perhaps unique and very special, but i cannot accept him as my conduit to g-d.
twj

mamiesmith wrote:

(edited by twj).... If this is true, then anybody can become conscious of Christ at any time and anywhere. Is this possible?

Message Edited by Choisya on 10-06-2008 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith

The word "Christ" derived from the Old Testament and means "The Anointed One."  I beliveve " to anoint" means to "pour oil upon" or "consecrate."  In the New Testamnet "Christ" is usually referred to as the man Jesus, because he embodied so clearly what many believe the christ is.  I see Jesus as a man, neither God or Christ, but a man who represented what the Christ means better than any other person who has walked this earth.  What does the word "Christ" mean?  I agree it has different names to different people, but I believe the person who has faith in something or someone other than the human man or material things, and uses that faith to overcome human frailities, is talking about Christ.  In that sense, it is universal, because it cuts across human-kind.  The Christ is infinite, thus cannot be contained in ONE person, to me, dispelling the notion that only Jesus was Christ.  Jesus, Himself said that he was not God, but the Son of God.  Again, the Son of God is anyone  who expresses the divine qualities of God (i.e. love, faith,  divine intelligence, confidence, courage, strength, perservance, persistence, equality, to name a few).   I am interpretng "infinity" as "that which is unlimited" or "has no boundaries."    To answer Nadine, I am referring to both something diferent AND Jesus as "Christ."  John says in  I John that, "now are we the sons of God."  He was speaking of those who embodied the Christ.

I have studied other religions besides Christianity, and still see the "Christ" in what most speak of as something else.  Also, in talking with non-Christians, who call it something else, it is still a "manifestation of God" or somehting other thatn human man.

In response to VictoriousMary, "it is clear and simple," but only to those who understand the simplicity of it.  Demonstrating the "presence of God" or "the presence of the Christ," (I use these interchangeably),  is an unending task, because there are infinite ways of doing it.

www.rioboutique.biz/theunfoldingofarosebymamiesmith

Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith

I find it interesting that one can use the word "Christ" in the same context that you have used in your expression.  I would also like to say that my manifestation of God has nothing to do with what others feel or believe.  Every person has to "work out ( his) own salvation."  What you do to connect with a consciousness outside of human logic is unique to you.  This is true with everyone else.  I do however, respect your right to voice your understanding of the question, and I am sure you have the same mutual respect.  Jesus was one man standing against a multitude of world thought.  Only a few people sat at the foot of the cross with Him.  Does it bother you to have a belief of your own if the world does not agree?  Each of us is individual in our own expression of the one Individual who is God.
Frequent Contributor
CraigDavis
0 Kudos

The Church in the Book of Esther, by Craig Davis

New study booklet on the Book of Esther, comparing the experience of the Jews in exile to the Church in exile in the world. Thesis relies on the theology of the eternal Christ. It's available now on B&N, and it's FREE!!!!!!

The Church in the Book of Esther