Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: JD Power says B&N is a Customer Service Champion

To be fair, the CS issues that tend to get reported in these forums are the failures.  We don't hear about the successful CS encounters.  My mother (85, not technical at all, with visual and hearing problems) had her N1E lock up and some tech on the phone patient walked her through the whole process of reinitializing it from scratch and redownloading her library.  She found it a very positive experience and thought the tech was wonderful.

Wordsmith
Fred011

RHWright wrote:

Come on Doug, you may have refrained, but you had to know we couldn't not take the bait on this one.

I will agree that when it comes to 2/5 of the "P"s—Presentation & Product—B&N is near the top of the class, IMO.

But I don't think that makes them a "Customer Service Champion."

The other 3 Ps are even more important: People, Process, and Price.

They really drop the ball, on average, on the people part. Phone CS is notorious for canned solutions and, at best, inconsistent in its knowledge base and application of standards.

Price. They keep trying to push the envelope and catch up and I think they have on the devices. Book pricing is largely out of their hands, but when it is they are consistently just a bit higher.

The big fail is Process. It is largely the reason for the "people" issue—major opportunities in training and communication. Development & communication of updates (both for improvements & known issues.) Communication of correct info across functions that all have touchpoints with customers. Responses from both live & email CS that don't sound like they were copied & pasted from an FAQ file. Did I mention communication? When it comes to CS, communication is the #1 skill/process.

Don't get me wrong. On the whole, I'm a B&N supporter. My experience 1-on-1 with many employees has been positive. But the system is obviously off and I have seen the employees themselves express frustration with the lack of proper communication.

So good for B&N for achieving this dubious distinction. Let's just hope they don't think this means they don't have serious room for improvements in this area.

RH,

You have made very interesting and IMO valid points regarding B&N.

Like many others here, I have had terrible experiences with phone support for the Nook.  Not much better in the store if it involved a problem or technical question.  Not too bad on my introduction to the Nook and how it operates.  However, the in-store "expert" said he was totally unaware of any problems connecting a NST to FIOS Actiontec routers when I asked about this potential issue before I purchased my unit just after Christmas. I had done some online research, and was aware of the potential problem and found valuable information from users on the forum, but not even an admission from the "expert" that an issue existed.

I will say that the in-store personnel have been consistently pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to printed material and services or questions regarding accounts and gift cards, etc.

I believe they have dropped the ball on training and communications when it comes to the electronic media arena.  One version or another of the Nook has been around for a while now, and I think there has been a lag in corporate mindset to appreciate the types of information, communications and support that are needed to support the product line.

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Offered without comment, the B&N press release: http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/press_releases/03_14_12_jd_powers_customer_service_release.html

Who in the hell was sitting at that roundtable?

I guess this explains how J.D. Power can claim virtually every car model with 4 wheels is "an industry leader in customer satisfaction."

They'll say good things about any company that pays them to say good things.  Can anybody spell I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y??

:smileyfrustrated: :smileymad: :smileyfrustrated:

You mean kinda' like reading Road & Track? :smileywink:

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

To be fair, the CS issues that tend to get reported in these forums are the failures.  We don't hear about the successful CS encounters.  My mother (85, not technical at all, with visual and hearing problems) had her N1E lock up and some tech on the phone patient walked her through the whole process of reinitializing it from scratch and redownloading her library.  She found it a very positive experience and thought the tech was wonderful.

Was this recently, or two years ago when the N1E came out?

I've only gotten really poor service in the last year and a half.  I remember when I first got my nook, CS was still onshore (at least some of it was) and B&N was working the bugs out of their ebook-to-nook process.  I had a book that came in two volumes, and they both had the same file name, LOL.  The CS rep that helped me worked *with* me to fix the problem (I say *with* as he was upfront with the issue on B&N's end and we both put suggestions on the table as ways to possibly resolve it).  He knew what he was doing, understood the nook and while he didn't have a magic solution, I still felt like he cared about resolving the issue.  I had to call back a few more times as B&N changed their process, and for a few other issues, and every time the support was great.

The CS only tanked when they moved it offshore.

FWIW, I base my opinion of CS on my personal experience, not that of others who post in the forums, as I'm not on the call with those others and don't hear how the conversations go.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Was this recently, or two years ago when the N1E came out?

Within the last few months.  Surprised the heck out of me when she told me about it.  Apparently her problem was one that could be solved by the CS tech following a standard script, and it worked perfectly for her.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

RH,

Like many others here, I have had terrible experiences with phone support for the Nook.  Not much better in the store if it involved a problem or technical question.  Not too bad on my introduction to the Nook and how it operates.  However, the in-store "expert" said he was totally unaware of any problems connecting a NST to FIOS Actiontec routers when I asked about this potential issue before I purchased my unit just after Christmas. I had done some online research, and was aware of the potential problem and found valuable information from users on the forum, but not even an admission from the "expert" that an issue existed.

I will say that the in-store personnel have been consistently pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to printed material and services or questions regarding accounts and gift cards, etc.

I believe they have dropped the ball on training and communications when it comes to the electronic media arena.  One version or another of the Nook has been around for a while now, and I think there has been a lag in corporate mindset to appreciate the types of information, communications and support that are needed to support the product line.

I am surprised that there could possibly be an issue connecting a NOOK Simple Tourch to any kind of wireless router that adheres to the IEEE standards for WiFi: 

"The Wi-Fi Alliance defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network (WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' (IEEE) 802.11 standards". However, since most modern WLANs are based on these standards, the term "Wi-Fi" is used in general English as a synonym for "WLAN".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

If both the NOOK and the router are standards compliant, why might there be any issues with a connection?  If they are not, why would we purchase a wireless device that is not WiFi compatible? 

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

deesy58 wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

RH,

I am surprised that there could possibly be an issue connecting a NOOK Simple Tourch to any kind of wireless router that adheres to the IEEE standards for WiFi: 

"The Wi-Fi Alliance defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network (WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' (IEEE) 802.11 standards". However, since most modern WLANs are based on these standards, the term "Wi-Fi" is used in general English as a synonym for "WLAN".

If both the NOOK and the router are standards compliant, why might there be any issues with a connection?  If they are not, why would we purchase a wireless device that is not WiFi compatible? 

Do a search for "wifi", "wireless", or "router" on these boards if you're curious.  There has been a lot of discussion about different devices and problems.

Freedom is not free.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

I am surprised that there could possibly be an issue connecting a NOOK Simple Touch to any kind of wireless router that adheres to the IEEE standards for WiFi: 

Do a search for "wifi", "wireless", or "router" on these boards if you're curious.  There has been a lot of discussion about different devices and problems.

Okay, I tried that, and the searches returned a lot of results, none of which I found to be especially enlightening.  Could you help narrow things down some by being a bit more specific?

Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

deesy58 wrote:

gb18 wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

I am surprised that there could possibly be an issue connecting a NOOK Simple Touch to any kind of wireless router that adheres to the IEEE standards for WiFi: 

Okay, I tried that, and the searches returned a lot of results, none of which I found to be especially enlightening.  Could you help narrow things down some by being a bit more specific?

Thanks!

Don't know how enlightening they are; they just illustrate that there have been other people with problems.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=wifi+problem

Freedom is not free.
MacMcK1957

If you're interested in reading some of the discussions on the Wi-Fi connection problems, go to the Nook Simple Touch Support Forum and read any of the following discussions:

updated to 1.1.0 now wireless will not connect

My NST's WiFi doesn't work with 1.1 Update

Can't connect to Wi Fi with Westell modem/router

Can't connect to my home wi-fi with my simple touch

Nook Touch will not connect to wireless

Problems connecting with a Belkin Router

Nook WiFi Connection Issues & Verizon Actiontec Router

That's not a complete list, but you get the idea.  Kind of hard to miss the recurrent theme.