Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Jane Eyre Review!

Hello everybody, my name is Hannah and this is my review of Jane Eyre. 

The story starts off with a young girl about 10 years old. She is an orphan living with her high society aunt, Mrs. Reed. The late Mr. Reed died giving one last wish. For Jane Eyre to be brought up like his children. Mrs. Reed did not. She let her oldest son, John beat her and Jane has had enough. At 10, she goes away to Lowood School, an orphan school. A very religous man runs the school and everyone dislikes him. 8 years Jane stays at this horriable school. 6 as a student. 2 as a teacher. Never once hearing word from Mrs. Reed.

Jane advirtises herself as a governess and a Mrs. Fairfax replies. Jane is to be a governess for a girl named Adele. She is of age 5. They live at Thornfield Hall, so Jane packs her bags and goes off into the world. She finds out that Mrs. Fairfax is the cook and dear landlady when Mr. Rochester is away. He is usually away and Jane does not see him until 3 months into being a governess for Adele. When he finnally comes home, he meets Jane on the road for her walk into town. He is riding his horse too quickly and almost crushes Jane. But he pulls the reins and he falls to the ground. He only gets a sprain ankle. Jane helps him on his horse and he goes off home when Jane goes into town. Little does she know that the man she just ran into was her employer. Coming up: Jane falls in love with Mr. Rochester but is he in love with someone else? Next time on, Hannah's Reviews.

Continues tomorrow at: 9:00 AM

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review!

guitargirlHL, how timely your great review comes because the movie version will be here soon.  It's terrible how the protagonist was beaten and robbed of a happy childhood.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review Part 2!!

Continuation of my review of Jane Eyre:

Weeks goes by at Thornfield Hall and Jane and Mr... Rochester learn more about each other. Although Mr... Rochester seems to have a gloomy past. He was a traveler and loved many a women. During this visit, Jane wakes up to a laugh and noise heard upstairs. She looks around and sees Mr... Rochester in bed and almost in fire. She saves him and he starts to show some feelings for Jane. And Jane starts to fall for Mr... Rochester. That morning he goes away. Jane gets told by Mrs... Fairfax that there is a Miss. Ingram who everyone thinks that Mr... Rochester will marry. Jane tells herself that he could never fall for her. She is too plain. After a couple of weeks that passed, he comes back to Thornfield Hall with a couple of high society "friends." He makes Jane come to the parties every night. One day, Mr... Rochester goes to town and a Mr... Mason comes to Thornfield Hall. He is from the islands of Jamaica. As the group starts to get acquainted, a gypsy comes and sees all the single ladies in the house hold. The gypsy won't leave until she sees Jane. So Jane goes to the gypsy and the gypsy is trying to get Jane to confess that she has feelings for Mr.. Rochester. It is until she figures out who the gypsy is that Mr.. Rochester comes out of his disguise. Every night, Mr.. Rochester has only eyes for one lady, and that is Jane. Jane is silent and stays by herself every night during the parties, until one day she get's told that her aunt, Mrs.. Reed, is dying and her son, John, is dead. Mrs.. Reed wants to see Jane before she dies. So Jane packs her bags, say goodbye to Mr.. Rochester and leaves Thornfield. Coming next on Hannah's Review: Will Mr.. Rochester get married and to whom? Also, What does Mrs.. Reed want to tell Jane?

Part 3 will be out this afternoon at 12:00 PM.

Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Thank you CasperAZ. I just finished the book and I loved it. It was sad how Jane did not really have a real childhood

Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review Part 3!!

Contiuing from part 2 of Jane Eyre Review:

Mrs. Reed tells Jane that she has broken 2 promises. 1 was to treat her like one of her children. The other was to give her a letter saying she had an uncle who was rich and wanted to adopt her. It was dated 3 years back. Jane asked why Mrs. Reed kept this a secreat. She says that she had so much hatred of her for a long time. The next morning she dies. Her 2 children sepreate and leave. Jane goes back to Thornfield and all is well. Jane and Mr. Rochester began where they left off. They started to flirt more and Mr. Rochester finnally expresses his love for her. He aks her to marry him and she says yes. In a months time, they will be married. They are happy and joyful. Durring this month, Jane treats Mr. Rochester cruelly all so he won't get bored of her. He loves but hates this little game. On the night of their wedding, Jane wakes up seeing someone in her bedroom tearing her viel in two! Mr. Rochester is just happy that she is ok. When Jane and Mr. Rochester are at the alter, someone objects to the wedding saying that Mr. Rochester already has a wife!! Next time on Hannah's Reviews: Will this "new" wife ruin their wedding? Will Jane run away from Thornfield Hall? Also, will Jane and Mr. Rochester ever get their true love?

Part 4 comes out tonight at 9:00 PM!

Reader 2
jdhenderson16
0 Kudos

This book was one of the first books I read in eBook format before Christmas.  I loved this book so much I passed it to my 10 year old niece to read. I knew that she may have some difficulty with the translations, but I didn't mind helping with that part.  Due to the complex nature of my relationship with my niece, I felt to may (in some ways) be able to relate to Jane Eyre.  I was pleased to see that in the end Jane had a chance for a happy future.  I loved that she always tried to make the best of her situation.  Trouble only lasts for a while, but joy will come in the morning light.

Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review Part 4!!!

When a lawyer stops the wedding, he says that Mr.. Rochester already has a wife who is still living. In fact living under Thornfield's Hall roof. She lives at the top tower and is taken care of by Grace Poole. Mr.. Rochester take all the gentlemen and Jane to see his wife. She has truly gone mad. She was the woman that was doing the horrible deeds during the night. Mr.. Rochester is in despair. He LOVES Jane and Jane LOVES him too. He asks her to go away with him to be his mistress. But she says no. She doesn't want to ruin her pride and dignity. So in the middle of the night she runs away from Thornfield Hall and the man she loves.

During the next couple of days she is poor. Living on the streets starving in the cold. Until one day, a minister takes her in with 2 of his sisters. They nurse Jane back to health and Jane becomes great friends with these 2 sisters. The minister, not so much. But still. Jane changed her name to Jane Elliot and starts a school for girls with no beatings. Jane stays a year in this tiny little village when the minister starts his own findings. He tells Jane one day that he knows about her life, her love and her family. Mr.. Rochester has been traveling in the country to find Jane. She also finds out that her rich uncle has died and left her 20,000 pounds. Also, that the minister and his 2 sisters are Jane's cousin. Jane rejoices! She has family that will truly love her!

Things start to turn to the left when the minister proposes to Jane so they can go to India together. She declines. She does not love him, and he certainly does not love her. One day in the gardens, she hears Mr.. Rochester's voice. In pain and agony it seems he's crying out her name! "JANE! JANE!" She hears these words and runs off to Thornfield Hall, only to see it burnt to a crisp. An old man, who use to be a butler tells her that Mr.. Rochester's wife set the house on fire. Mr.. Rochester got all the servants to get out and almost got the wife too, but instead of grabbing his hand she freely jumped from the window and smashed dead. The house tumbled on him and he is now a little paralyzed and is completely blind.

Jane goes off to where Mr.. Rochester is living. She gives him a surprise visit and he is more than delighted! He spends all of his afternoons with her and they pronounce their love. They get married and as they say, lived happily ever after. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review, What do I think.

All in all, I love Jane Eyre. This is a fantastic love story that is set in a plain serving girl with a dark past. But she is smarter than an average sheep. I recomend this book to everyone who loves classics and love stories. Even then, it is a fantastic read! I think my summary was awful compared to a thing of beauty this is! Better than any book I have read so far. 5 stars on my account.

Give me a book to read and review next. Also, what do you guys think about the book? This has been Hannah on Hannah's Reviews! :smileyhappy:

New User
serAphm
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Eyre Review, What do I think.

This has been my favorite book since I was 15I first read the book after seeing a Hallmark production of Jane Eyre with George C. Scott as Mr. RochesterI have seen every movie production of this book. I first learned the word "tenaciousfrom this bookI now own at least 5 copies of Jane Eyre, simply because I get in the mood to read it and cannot find it amongst my books, so I go out and buy a new copyI feel the true beauty of Jane E. is in the heroine's restraint as an adultHer heart and soul are full of passion, but she knows what is rightAs a child at the school, the head mistress and the director try their best to crush her passion and spirit, but to no avail, she will be who she was meant to beLater, when she has fled the estate and through a bit of serendipitous luck finds a place to be happy, she once again flees, because her heart speaks and her soul answers with what is right

My romantic soul loved the happy reunion with her beloved, and the loving life they achieved after all the hardship and heartacheIt is the quality of self-sacrifice and restraint, the self-denial that makes this book so beautifulUnlike so many books that are written today, I feel that Jane never despaired, she always knew who she was and that she would survive.  "To thine ownself be true."  This is the essence of Jane Eyre.

I laugh everyday because I have dogs.