Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Re: Laurels

pastorjeffcma wrote:

I am fairly new here, but have enjoyed getting involved. I just read this whole thread and it has been indicative of why I am enjoying this community. Since I enjoy this kind of conversation I tend to search out some forums that might be conducive to good interaction and it is amazing how hard they are to find. I really only came across this group through having to open an account because of my nook.

What I have most appreciated is a seeming willingness to converse in a kind and respectful way regardless of opinions or reading choices. What I have picked up in a very short time (at least I think I am right) is that the very cordial and accepting tone of the boards is set by those that have been on it for quite some time.

So apparently the "B & N Community" is striving to be just that--a community. The welcoming spirit is truly appreciated.

Welcome Pastor Jeff,

Yes this is a community, a long standing one, for some.  A lot of this community has left, as well, for personal reasons, and sometimes very vocal reasons.

Here's a brief history:

A lot of us were participants on the old B&N University forum.  We were instilled, taught, how to behave.  It was strict, more than you can imagine.  You towed the line, or you were warned....three strikes and you were gone, gone, gone, never to return.  Of course, since these changes, as you see them now, there has been changes in personality types, as well.  Strictness is relaxed.

With the old administration, which have all gone.....just as with old school disciplines, they differ from present times and people -  things have changed a lot with actions taken, including my actions as a participant....I've gotten lax in my behavior, I'm no longer formal....but that seems to be the way of the world in a common community, where everyone comes together and speaks their mind.

The old forums were all types, not openly displayed like they are here, from school room subjects, learning forums, to the literary fiction board, where I solely participated. 

You couldn't hop from one discussion board to another.  You had to sign into the one(s) you wanted, by registering, and the rest were locked to you....you stayed put, to discuss the subjects, or books you signed up for.  You got to know some of these participants who returned to these same forums/boards, month after month. 

Our off-the-board talk was done in our specific board's "community room"...that's what it was called.  Nothing of your personal life was discussed within a book's discussion, or you got disciplined by the System's Operator, or the moderator, who monitored each of these forums.  When I say strict, I mean strict! You don't know the half of it. I got thrown into the community room a few times... Keeping all personal life, comparing it to the stories you were reading, was a no, no!  Now you can do it, without being reprimanded, and now we have boards to accommodate ALL personal business.  That's not a bad thing, unless that business gets out of hand, and offends people.  It happens.

As I said, it's a community, where we do try our best to be kind and generous to each other, even the one's who you would like to see gone, gone, gone!  :smileyhappy:

Enjoy your time on these boards, and happy reading!

Kathy

KathyS

TiggerBear wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

TiggerBear you are so sweet! Whenever someone posts a question you're right there to answer it. How do you get around so fast:smileyvery-happy:! Well that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean. You are so true also it is about the new friends you meet here. Ya like you said in the beginning it is exciting receiving Laurels, but I'd give them up if I had to chose title over friendship. Thanks for always making our questions sound important even if they are simple!

Keep smiling  :smileyhappy:!!!!

(blushing) There a lot of us on here waiting to help newbies. It isn't just me, nearly every board section has someone willing. And there's no such thing as an unimportant question.

But really glad to be of help.

Yes, my little Tigger is blushing....and sweet.  She's about as helpful as anyone can be, more than me, that's for sure....but, Tigger, you are right, there is no such thing as an unimportant question.  We certainly had a few questions bouncing around, in our time!

Kathy

New User
monicacarnes
0 Kudos

m very happy in knowing that you all are so helpful.  I do have one question though.  I am not seeing the options to give kudos or am I looking in the wrong spot.  Ok so I earned my NEWBIE status!  Thanks for the answers ahead of time!

Moni

Monica N. Carnes
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

monicacarnes wrote:

m very happy in knowing that you all are so helpful.  I do have one question though.  I am not seeing the options to give kudos or am I looking in the wrong spot.  Ok so I earned my NEWBIE status!  Thanks for the answers ahead of time!

Moni

They're called laurels here. It's that green button on the left with the leaf in it.

KathyS
0 Kudos

monicacarnes wrote:

Moni

Hi Moni, if you find you aren't able to give laurels, it could be because your status is a "new user".  I can't remember at what status that ability changes, maybe Tigger knows.  Keep posting, and keep trying.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

monicacarnes wrote:

Moni

Hi Moni, if you find you aren't able to give laurels, it could be because your status is a "new user".  I can't remember at what status that ability changes, maybe Tigger knows.  Keep posting, and keep trying.

Um first post should have taken care of that. I think perhaps it was just the name thing or that the laurels button isn't exactly labeled till you hover over it.

Correspondent
pastorjeffcma

KathyS wrote:

pastorjeffcma wrote:

I am fairly new here, but have enjoyed getting involved. I just read this whole thread and it has been indicative of why I am enjoying this community. Since I enjoy this kind of conversation I tend to search out some forums that might be conducive to good interaction and it is amazing how hard they are to find. I really only came across this group through having to open an account because of my nook.

What I have most appreciated is a seeming willingness to converse in a kind and respectful way regardless of opinions or reading choices. What I have picked up in a very short time (at least I think I am right) is that the very cordial and accepting tone of the boards is set by those that have been on it for quite some time.

So apparently the "B & N Community" is striving to be just that--a community. The welcoming spirit is truly appreciated.

Welcome Pastor Jeff,

Yes this is a community, a long standing one, for some.  A lot of this community has left, as well, for personal reasons, and sometimes very vocal reasons.

Here's a brief history:

A lot of us were participants on the old B&N University forum.  We were instilled, taught, how to behave.  It was strict, more than you can imagine.  You towed the line, or you were warned....three strikes and you were gone, gone, gone, never to return.  Of course, since these changes, as you see them now, there has been changes in personality types, as well.  Strictness is relaxed.

With the old administration, which have all gone.....just as with old school disciplines, they differ from present times and people -  things have changed a lot with actions taken, including my actions as a participant....I've gotten lax in my behavior, I'm no longer formal....but that seems to be the way of the world in a common community, where everyone comes together and speaks their mind.

The old forums were all types, not openly displayed like they are here, from school room subjects, learning forums, to the literary fiction board, where I solely participated. 

You couldn't hop from one discussion board to another.  You had to sign into the one(s) you wanted, by registering, and the rest were locked to you....you stayed put, to discuss the subjects, or books you signed up for.  You got to know some of these participants who returned to these same forums/boards, month after month. 

Our off-the-board talk was done in our specific board's "community room"...that's what it was called.  Nothing of your personal life was discussed within a book's discussion, or you got disciplined by the System's Operator, or the moderator, who monitored each of these forums.  When I say strict, I mean strict! You don't know the half of it. I got thrown into the community room a few times... Keeping all personal life, comparing it to the stories you were reading, was a no, no!  Now you can do it, without being reprimanded, and now we have boards to accommodate ALL personal business.  That's not a bad thing, unless that business gets out of hand, and offends people.  It happens.

As I said, it's a community, where we do try our best to be kind and generous to each other, even the one's who you would like to see gone, gone, gone!  :smileyhappy:

Enjoy your time on these boards, and happy reading!

Kathy

Thanks for all the history. It is quite helpful to appreciate how the community arrived at the place that it has. It is also important to realize that the people who have been on the boards for some time not only understand the community very well, but have also paid their dues. So if one of the "veterans" says something that one of the newer members may not understand, we can realize there is most likely a significant context that it comes out of. Also, as I have already indicated, I have seen this to be an unusually positive setting to comment. However, having been on some other threads in the community, there certainly are strong feelings to be communicated and, within bounds of common courtesy, that's OK too.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Well, I guess I had a more positive experience in BNU (B&N University) than Kathy did.  I do not recall anyone being reprimanded or made to keep the discussion impersonal.  But there were a lot of classes, and a lot of instructors, so I suppose it varied a lot.  I did some of the literary discussions, and remember one 'instructor' who had written the forwards for a lot of the B&N Classics series; she was good, and friendly.  Of course, I mostly did the 19th-century British classics, so maybe Kathy and I were not moving in the same circles!  There were some great 'liberal arts' courses, too - I took scrapbooking three times, Tarot three times, and one on Hitchcock's films.

Then they abolished the 'University', and established message boards instead, and I left for a while.  They were kind of unfocused and broad, and didn't discuss particular books.  Eventually I came back and found book discussions going on again, so I stuck around.  These boards have gone several organizational transformations since then, and a lot of other things have been added, like the blogs, but they're still fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say hi and welcome to Pastor Jeff. There are a lot of good people here, with lots of help and info. Thanks to all!
KathyS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Well, I guess I had a more positive experience in BNU (B&N University) than Kathy did.  I do not recall anyone being reprimanded or made to keep the discussion impersonal.  But there were a lot of classes, and a lot of instructors, so I suppose it varied a lot.  I did some of the literary discussions, and remember one 'instructor' who had written the forwards for a lot of the B&N Classics series; she was good, and friendly.  Of course, I mostly did the 19th-century British classics, so maybe Kathy and I were not moving in the same circles!  There were some great 'liberal arts' courses, too - I took scrapbooking three times, Tarot three times, and one on Hitchcock's films.

Then they abolished the 'University', and established message boards instead, and I left for a while.  They were kind of unfocused and broad, and didn't discuss particular books.  Eventually I came back and found book discussions going on again, so I stuck around.  These boards have gone several organizational transformations since then, and a lot of other things have been added, like the blogs, but they're still fun.

Hi Dulcie, I'm sorry we didn't come across each other in the "old days"!  Ha!  I learned a lot during that time, and don't get me wrong, these mods and SysOps were as kind and you can be. 

One night, another woman and myself got into a chat with a gal from England.  She worked nights, security, and was bored.  The three of us found the conversation so interesting, we sort of got carried away.  The next morning the SysOp asked each of us to remove our posts, it really was a traffic jam, of sorts, in the threaded view, and took away from the actual book discussion.  In those days we, the participants, were able to remove our own posts, but it was a job, because we each had to do it according to who posted last.  Anyway, the SysOp thanked us.  We knew her name, and we apologized for this little night-time indiscretion.  It was fun, though, breaking the rules, in an innocent way.

I was also known for giving advice to troubled people, as it all related to the stories we were reading.  At times I thought I should hang out a shingle, Doctor is in!  I'm not a doctor!  These people would end up asking me questions, personal ones, right in the middle of a discussion...I didn't know how to handle it, and then was told to take it to the Community room.  It did feel as though I was reprimanded, but I knew the moderator, and she was also very kind.  She emailed me, and we had discussions about how to handle certain situations, and people.  We remained friends throughout the years.  I never told this to anyone, even after this format changed.  I have some horror stories, as well, I could tell you, but I'll save that for another day!  :smileyvery-happy: