Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The value of ranks and laurels

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

So, has anybody at the upper ranks identified any of these "special features and posting privileges"?

Yeah, I got a couple of mugs, a wand, and new dress, and the responsibility of a Kingdom.....and people think I can work miracles!  Sheesh! 

(laughs) :smileyvery-happy:

Ah well a long time ago ...say three versions back I got invited to a sneak peek of the new version coming out soon and participate in a discussion with some of the moderators. Not sure if that was a special privilege or not, they asked a few of us posters to join.

Special powers ...looking around). Nope don't seem to have gotten those. Yo Kathy did you get my wand?:smileytongue:

Honestly though, I think that was something they were considering a few versions back and I don't think they ever went through with them. Not to say they won't and of course who knows... (shrug)

Yeah, I was invited to that gig, too, but didn't bother to waste my time....fly-by-night concepts, at their worst.  Bird-brains with big ideas....they all flew the coop....

Nope, I didn't get your wand, I have my own. But I do have a coach and a couple of mice that may belong to you, they've been double parked outside our Kingdom for a while.  You might want to remove them, the coach is starting to smell a bit moldy, and the cats are getting antsy.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

So, has anybody at the upper ranks identified any of these "special features and posting privileges"?

Yeah, I got a couple of mugs, a wand, and new dress, and the responsibility of a Kingdom.....and people think I can work miracles!  Sheesh! 

(laughs) :smileyvery-happy:

Ah well a long time ago ...say three versions back I got invited to a sneak peek of the new version coming out soon and participate in a discussion with some of the moderators. Not sure if that was a special privilege or not, they asked a few of us posters to join.

Special powers ...looking around). Nope don't seem to have gotten those. Yo Kathy did you get my wand?:smileytongue:

Honestly though, I think that was something they were considering a few versions back and I don't think they ever went through with them. Not to say they won't and of course who knows... (shrug)

Yeah, I was invited to that gig, too, but didn't bother to waste my time....fly-by-night concepts, at their worst.  Bird-brains with big ideas....they all flew the coop....

Nope, I didn't get your wand, I have my own. But I do have a coach and a couple of mice that may belong to you, they've been double parked outside our Kingdom for a while.  You might want to remove them, the coach is starting to smell a bit moldy, and the cats are getting antsy.

Actually it was a rather fun experiance. And some of the things discussed have been the better added features.You should have joined us.

Um the coach is Dulcie's, she borrowed it and was suposed to dispose of it. The mice however should have returned home, they know the way!

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Actually it was a rather fun experience. And some of the things discussed have been the better added feature's should have joined us.

Um the coach is Dulcie's, she borrowed it and was supposed to dispose of it. The mice however should have returned home, they know the way!

In all seriousness, I'm sure it was a fun experience, especially being able to talk to our friends, and the powers that be, but I felt that these concepts were already said, and bantered, here on the board, with views all around.  I didn't feel that hashing them all over again would serve any purpose for me.  As I said, I felt I had no more time for this subject...I gave my thoughts to these changes, over and over again.  Some were headed, some were not...at that time.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Doesn't matter anymore anyway, being versions ago.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Hope, doesn't matter

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Hope, doesn't matter

(scratching head) Ok now I'm lost. What exactly were we talking about?

dulcinea3

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Um the coach is Dulcie's, she borrowed it and was suposed to dispose of it. The mice however should have returned home, they know the way!

Oh, is that where my Glass Coach has been!  It is an important piece of Equipage that belongs to my Crystal Palace of Fantasia, and we have been looking for it!  I'm sorry, my Queen, I will send one of my Servants to Fetch it.  No Mice, however; my Cats would soon Dispose of them!

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Oh, is that where my Glass Coach has been!  It is an important piece of Equipage that belongs to my Crystal Palace of Fantasia, and we have been looking for it!  I'm sorry, my Queen, I will send one of my Servants to Fetch it.  No Mice, however; my Cats would soon Dispose of them!

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

Truly the were-mice are from my castle. You've seen the gray haired gentlemen hanging around the last time you were over for tea.

Wordsmith
Tess75

Re: Laurels

pastorjeffcma wrote:

I am fairly new here, but have enjoyed getting involved. I just read this whole thread and it has been indicative of why I am enjoying this community. Since I enjoy this kind of conversation I tend to search out some forums that might be conducive to good interaction and it is amazing how hard they are to find. I really only came across this group through having to open an account because of my nook.

What I have most appreciated is a seeming willingness to converse in a kind and respectful way regardless of opinions or reading choices. What I have picked up in a very short time (at least I think I am right) is that the very cordial and accepting tone of the boards is set by those that have been on it for quite some time.

So apparently the "B & N Community" is striving to be just that--a community. The welcoming spirit is truly appreciated.

Welcome pastorjeffcma,

I have been here about three weeks. I to found this site because I had to sign up for my Nook. You are correct about how hard it is to find a site that is friendly,and the conversations are respectful of opinions. The friends that I have made along with interacting with the members of the community write keeping in mind how words can be taken out of context.

It's nice to find a group of people that you can share opinions without being judged, even if their opinion differs. We are allowed to disagree, but I noticed it is still written respectfully. Even us "Newbie's" :smileyhappy: aren't treated any different than the one's that have been in this community longer. I'm not a (Twitter and UTube). Not to disrespect just my opinion. I enjoy the fact that when I check out different Boards or post one myself, that I don't have to worry about foul language or anything else on the same line.

Here you post your opinion with the thought of how it is read by others. It is so easy for words to be taken out of context because the words are read. It's not able to show body language. That's why we should always write with the thought of others reading your post.

I think everyone in this community deserves a "Big Thank You" for laying down the foundation for people like us that was looking for a place we can be excepted and know when we visit a site we don't have to worry about what's on it. I agree this is a community were we are treated as equals, as well as respect for everyone that participates on "B&N".

Thanks to everyone that set the standards for those that still live by the rule.

(Treat others the way you want to be treated)!!!!

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Laurels

As I recall the discussions, I think some of the things that were once considered for being made available based on title were instead made available to all members when implimented, such as the ability to add pictures to posts.  Probably more storage space got added to the servers!  Hooray for the price curves over time for computer/server memory.

(Finally took the time to peruse this thread.)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy