Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

Re: Let's see your personal Best of 2008!

Hey!

Welcome to the B&N community! Hope you enjoy it here!

I looked at your essential list and LOVED what I saw. Memoirs of a Geisha is my absolute favorite book and I would agree; it is a rather engaging story! Another one I really enjoed was Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees. It is an amazing book and a quick read as well. I highly recommend it to anybody who loves heart-felt novels such as yourself.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the B&N bookclub community. Hope you enjoy it! :smileyhappy:

“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

The two that knocked my socks off:

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

Atonement- Ian McEwan

:smileyhappy:

Pam
Contributor
Appleseed
0 Kudos

Water for Elephants would be on my list too!  It was one of the few books in which the ending completely satisfied:smileywink:  
--With every book I read I learn a little bit more about myself--
Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

One of my favorites was A Thousand Splendid Suns, It was amazing. I gained so much knowledge reading this book. It was a wonderful story.
Frequent Contributor
Katie983
0 Kudos

If you liked that book, you should read the one he wrote before that called Kite Runner. Amazing, amazing story with very dynamic characters.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love." -- Christopher Morley
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

War and Peace by Tolstoy

After the file by Robin Gaby Fisher

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Night Train to Lisbon By Pascal Mercier

My stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Hi, all ...

Here's a sneak peek at the B&N Best of 2008 page, which is live now but not yet in heavy promotion on the site.

Congrats to lilacbouquet, pedsphelb, Melanie_Murray, blackjack4742, bookloverKG and blkeyesuzi for having the first My B&N lists featured on this page.

If you haven't posted your Best Of 2008 list, be sure to do so by creating an EssentiaList at My B&N, and then telling us about it here. We'll be adding more My B&N lists to the feature in the days ahead, so there's still time to see your name in lights!

Contributor
Mostow
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

i did read kite runner and I agree it was a Wonderful read. I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse series by charlaine harris pretty good if you are into vampires.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

In case anybody cares to compare with their own list, here is the New York Times's list of the ten best books of 2008

I can't compare it with my own list, because I haven't read a single one of the books on their list.