New User
Historian2009
0 Kudos

Looking for readers of The Templars Two Kings and a Pope

Hello...I would like to find others who have read Grigor Fedan's The Templars Two Kings and a Pope. I have not used a service like this before, so if anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated. I thought just posting a notice would probably attact someone.

Anyone? (My wife is sick of listening to me talk about it).

New User
bookworm54
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for readers of The Templars Two Kings and a Pope

Hello, Historian: I just finished the novel for the 2nd time about a week ago. I'm usually skeptical of reviews but now I agree with most of them. The novel is perhaps the best book I have read in a long time.

I'm fond of historical novels that are accurate, and this one is. Judging by your pen name, I suppose you are into medieval history in some form or another, and so am I. A friend at work highly recommended the novel, and I decided to peruse it when it arrived. I literally could not put it down.  

There's so much to talk about this novel. Let me know what you think. 

New User
Historian2009
0 Kudos

Thanks for showing up! And I'm just thrilled that you are into medieval history as well. I have been doing research into several points in the novel and would like to know if you have answers.

1. Caesarius of Heisterbach is real enough and he did make predictions, but is the "Caesarius Prophesy" of the novel real? It certainly seems to be, all the indicators are there.

2. What about Hafiz Mountain? I know that the monk or monks at the Library of Alexandria did carry their books to the desert and gave them to the Arabs. Was it really at the Tobesti Mountains? The only reference I was able to find was that copies of the books were found at a Christian monastery in Persia in the 7th century, but that doesn't necessarily make the monastery the original depository. If Fedan is right, and it is Tibesti, I think he might have scored major points.

3. And what about the Jesus Gospel? I'm not into Gnosticism and was hoping for someone to tell me whether there really is a gospel written by Jesus. Just because it makes perfect sense doesn't make it historically correct.

Hope you can shed some light into these topics.

New User
June55
0 Kudos

Dear Historian:

I am responding to your question about Hafiz Mountain in The Templars Two Kings and a Pope. I believe that the name Hafiz Mountain is fictitious, but the Tibesti mountains are very real indeed. What I know is that in the mid 80's there were some archeological digs in a valley at 4,000 ft elevation but were suspended due to a civil war in Chad. This location was the site of an Essene enclave going back to Jesus' time. Of course, Jesus was an Essene (although for some reason the novel does not identify him as such, which I think is a noteworthy mistake, but other than that I found the novel to be very accurate) and it makes sense that they would posses some of Jesus' writings after his passing. I don't know if the author knew all this, although he did say that the members of Hafiz Mountain wore white robes and were both men and women and celibate, which fits the Essene profile.

It makes perfect sense that the Knights Templar would have looked for  the Jesus Gospel in the Tibesti Mountains. Of course, I'm certain that they possessed the manuscript and hid it in a vault under Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland which dates back to the 1500's. I found the narrative of the novel very compelling. I first ran across it in the Historical Novel Society's review section, and I do think that the book met up with my expectations, which are very high since I don't normally read fiction.

Of course, the novel is a bit too graphically violent for my taste, but I do suppose that's what sells. 

I must commend the author for his attention to historical detail throughout and for accurately representing the Gnostic faith

I hope I helped.

New User
Historian2009
0 Kudos

That's fascinating, but do you have any evidence that the Tibesti Mountains was the original depository for the books from the Alexandria Lbrary???
New User
starmover
0 Kudos

I'm more into the centerpiece of the novel, the fall of the Templars. I was very intrigued by the French Scheme and the secret war the Templars fought against Philip IV. The novel is very exciting, but I wonder whether it's true? I mean, I've read Malcolm Barber and Peter Partner on the subject, and they don't mention a secret war, or a French Scheme. Also, they don't mention the wars in Belgium and Aquitaine as having anything to do with the Templars. Does anyone know of a mainstream historian who does?
New User
Historian2009
0 Kudos

There are two books by reputable historians that corroborate what Fedan says that's where he probably got his information. Barbara Tuchman wrote "A distant mirror: the calamitous 14th century." In it you'll find that the French king planned on becoming the Holy Roman Emperor conquer Europe and launch a major crusade to wipe out all Muslims and Jews just like the novel says. The other book is one that I haven't read yet because it's out of print but a friend who teaches European history told me about. It's by E.R. Clifford ""A knight of great renown: the life and times of Otto de Grandson".  Since reading the novel I've been really curious about this guy and all I can find is a short biography in Wikipedia. If you find this book please let me know. At this point I'm willing to pay a little extra for it.