Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Goodwill: I don't think it means what I think you think it means

I would hope it's pretty easy for B&N to quantify repeat business. If that's not a quantifiable enough statistic for the bean counters...  that might explain their current problem. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,717
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Goodwill: I don't think it means what I think you think it means


keriflur wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:

I suppose you could measure it by whether they can sell t shirts and caps with your logo on them.  Works pretty well for Ferrari, they make more from licensing than they do from the  cars they sell. :smileywink:


Would you buy a B&N cap?  How about a t-shirt of the Bronte sisters?  :smileywink:


I think they do OK with coffee cups and ugly canvas bags though. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Goodwill: I don't think it means what I think you think it means

That's actually a good point, Pat: There is a segment of the population who does like B&N branding. I've probably seen some B&N cups and bags around town. I doubt I've seen any Amazon or Best Buy accessories, much less any that were paid for. With the stores, B&N still has an edge. As FT notes, they just don't have the eBook association. Sure, people may ask for a Coke, but will still take a Pepsi. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Surprisingly not so...

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Sure, people may ask for a Coke, but will still take a Pepsi. 


Not necesssarily pertinent to the rest of the conversation, but this is actually not true, more often than you'd believe.  (At least it wasn't twenty years ago when I was "collecting data" for spending money...)

 

More people will take the Pepsi when they ask for Coke than say "No thanks, I'll just have an iced tea", but you'd be surprised at how many people go for the iced tea.  

 

For me, it's ebooks from anyone but Amazon, and B&N is likely my first stop in the shopping process.  Often, but not always, the last stop as well...

flyingtoastr
Posts: 2,937
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,868
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Surprisingly not so...

I'm that guy. While I don't drink soda generally, Coke is at least bearable - Pepsi is too darn sweet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Surprisingly not so...

[ Edited ]

Sure, but the point being that while you'll ask for a Coke, you know what a Pepsi is. The fact that many people ask for a Kindle hardly means they care about the technical differences as much as you do about taste. 

 

B&N's brand does have a bit of cachet, as do the stores. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,197
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Surprisingly not so...


bobstro wrote:

Sure, but the point being that while you'll ask for a Coke, you know what a Pepsi is. The fact that many people ask for a Kindle hardly means they care about the technical differences as much as you do about taste. 

 

B&N's brand does have a bit of cachet, as do the stores. 


Kindle versus Nook is as much about taste as Coke versus Pepsi.  Some people can tell the difference and have a strong perference, and some people couldn't care less, and can't tell the difference even if you point it out to them.  Some will like whatever their family members have, and some will think both are good and will enjoy the differences.

 

And some folks just hate carbonation and would rather have a glass of iced tea.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Surprisingly not so...


keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Sure, but the point being that while you'll ask for a Coke, you know what a Pepsi is. The fact that many people ask for a Kindle hardly means they care about the technical differences as much as you do about taste. 

 

B&N's brand does have a bit of cachet, as do the stores. 


Kindle versus Nook is as much about taste as Coke versus Pepsi.  Some people can tell the difference and have a strong perference, and some people couldn't care less, and can't tell the difference even if you point it out to them.  Some will like whatever their family members have, and some will think both are good and will enjoy the differences.

 

And some folks just hate carbonation and would rather have a glass of iced tea.


That may be true regarding the Fire vs. the Nook tablets but I can now tell you from experience that the e-ink readers are completely different from each other in both hardware and software functionalities.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Surprisingly not so...

OK, I will try to remain extremely literal from here on out. That was an attempt to point out that general reference to ONE PRODUCT does not mean that customers are completely ignorant of OTHER PRODUCTS. You see, a LOT OF PEOPLE will ask for A COKE but really just want A COLA, so while a LOT OF PEOPLE will ask for a KINDLE they really are just asking about EREADERS. You see, sometimes people ask for ONE THING out of ignorance, habit, exposure or laziness, when they really mean ANOTHER THING, or A RANGE OF THING. THIS IS WHAT SOME PEOPLE DO. NOT ALL PEOPLE. SOME PEOPLE.

 

In other words, FT: Don't lose faith because people get something like that wrong. Kleenex still has competitors. (NOTE: I realize that some people still prefer Kleenex. Thank you.)

 

I hope that clears things up. I can use larger fonts if it will help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,197
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Surprisingly not so...


bobstro wrote:

In other words, FT: Don't lose faith because people get something like that wrong. Kleenex still has competitors. (NOTE: I realize that some people still prefer Kleenex. Thank you.)

 

I hope that clears things up. I can use larger fonts if it will help.


I don't understand.  This is all very confusing.  *dabs eyes with kleenex, sips coke, then hoovers the rug*