Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Loyalty, Loyalty, Loyalty

AFAIK loyalty has never been a business statistic.  No one counts customers, they only count sales.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AFAIK loyalty has never been a business statistic.  No one counts customers, they only count sales.

"Goodwill", however, is taken into consideration and B&N seems to be losing a lot of that.

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

"Goodwill", however, is taken into consideration and B&N seems to be losing a lot of that.

Really?  How does a business statistically quantify how much goodwill they have?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Goodwill: I don't think it means what I think you think it means

AlanNJ wrote:

If you're referring to the "goodwill" that appears on financial statements, that's nothing to do with customers. It's accounting for how much the company had overpaid for some acquisition; it's reduced over time. Having "goodwill" on the books is somewhat undesirable.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Goodwill: I don't think it means what I think you think it means

Doug_Pardee wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

If you're referring to the "goodwill" that appears on financial statements, that's nothing to do with customers. It's accounting for how much the company had overpaid for some acquisition; it's reduced over time. Having "goodwill" on the books is somewhat undesirable.

Isn't goodwill the also the value of a brand name  not reflected on the asset sheet?  This is why say someone buys a bankrupt RCA 

keriflur
0 Kudos

Goodwill is the place I go to donate my old shoes.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

From Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth):

For example, a software company may have net assets (consisting primarily of miscellaneous equipment, and assuming no debt) valued at $1 million, but the company's overall value (including brand, customers, and intellectual capital) is valued at $10 million. Anybody buying that company would book $10 million in total assets acquired, comprising $1 million physical assets, and $9 million in goodwill. In a private company, goodwill has no predetermined value prior to the acquisition; its magnitude depends on the two other variables by definition. A publicly traded company, by contrast, is subject to a constant process of market valuation, so goodwill will always be apparent.

I read the above as encompassing the "loyalty" factor that this thread started out with.  If there is little loyalty (and I've already given my opinion on that) then the company's overall value including customers (from above) is decreased.  Therefore if customer loyalty is decreasing then so is "goodwill".

►Without order there is chaos◄
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I suppose you could measure it by whether they can sell t shirts and caps with your logo on them.  Works pretty well for Ferrari, they make more from licensing than they do from the  cars they sell. :smileywink:

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:
From Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth):

For example, a software company may have net assets (consisting primarily of miscellaneous equipment, and assuming no debt) valued at $1 million, but the company's overall value (including brand, customers, and intellectual capital) is valued at $10 million. Anybody buying that company would book $10 million in total assets acquired, comprising $1 million physical assets, and $9 million in goodwill. In a private company, goodwill has no predetermined value prior to the acquisition; its magnitude depends on the two other variables by definition. A publicly traded company, by contrast, is subject to a constant process of market valuation, so goodwill will always be apparent.

I read the above as encompassing the "loyalty" factor that this thread started out with.  If there is little loyalty (and I've already given my opinion on that) then the company's overall value including customers (from above) is decreased.  Therefore if customer loyalty is decreasing then so is "goodwill".

The way I read this, the wikipedia definition of goodwill is the difference between the valuation of a company based on stock price and the actual sum of physical assets.  This is not the same as customer loyalty, and in fact does not in any way directly relate to the total number of customers or any calculation of what each customer spends (which would be an indication of loyalty).

keriflur

patgolfneb wrote:

I suppose you could measure it by whether they can sell t shirts and caps with your logo on them.  Works pretty well for Ferrari, they make more from licensing than they do from the  cars they sell. :smileywink:

Would you buy a B&N cap?  How about a t-shirt of the Bronte sisters?  :smileywink: