Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

MS Buy of B&N More Likely?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: MS Buy of B&N More Likely?

Consider the source.  When Motley Fool was in the business of offering general education to the public on how the stock market works they were valuable.  Since they've tried to become an analyst of specific stocks and predictor of market or business behavior, they've failed miserably.  I no longer bother to even click on links to the site.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Consider the source.

Yeah. Motley Fool is an Amazon-booster — they've said so in a number of disclosure statements — and they routinely slam B&N for no particular reason except maybe they haven't written an anti-B&N article for a few days.

If you ever read anything positive about B&N on Motley Fool — and it does rarely happen — then you know that the news is truly so positive that even MF couldn't find a negative way to spin it.

[As anyone who's followed my postings knows, I'm not a fan of the way B&N does a lot of things. But I do try to be fair about what I write. Motley Fool makes no such attempt.]

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Actually it's not even Motley Fool's specific history of boosting Amazon and dissing B&N that influences my opinion.  As a general rule, I find their evaluations of most companies to be poorly researched and based on the most superficial, sometimes blatantly ignorant, analysis of the business in question.  Their purported research is, in most cases, crap.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Pub. Wkly. Riggio report

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Pub. Wkly. Riggio report

gb18 wrote:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/financial-reporting/article/59051-len-rigg...

Interesting comment: 'Huseby emphasized that “we’re not going to cut our way to profitability. Retail and digital work together and we have to stop these declines quickly and grow content sales. If we don’t, we’ll look at alternatives. We’ve got to grow content sales and there will be no sale or split off of B&N and Nook.”'

Sorry to hear they won't be updating the web site until April 2014 though.

keriflur

Re: Pub. Wkly. Riggio report

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Sorry to hear they won't be updating the web site until April 2014 though.

Maybe this is a good thing and they've finally realized they need to get things right rather than just done. The fact that they're even saying they're going to do something by an approximate date is an improvement to their don't-tell-anything-ever policy.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Microsoft What??

In my most recent issue of Linux Pro magazine, I read an interesting article on how to get started in HPC (High Performance Computing) cluster development.  The author recommended using AWS (Amazon Web Services) to set up multiple virtual computers, and then link them into a virtual cluster before spending the time and effort to build a "bare metal" (actual hardware) cluster because it is easier, less expensive, and less risky.  Also, Amazon offers a suite of advanced development tools integrated into AWS.

The article brought home to me how very technologically advanced Amazon really is.  The company is clearly prepared for success in the 21st Century.  It made me wonder whether Amazon and Barnes & Noble are, in thruth, the fierce competitors that everybody seems to believe they are. 

I liken the idea of Microsoft buying B&N in order to gain access to new markets to the idea of buying a Class A minor league baseball team in the hopes that the investment would lead to the opportunity to eventually play against the New York Yankees in a World Series.  Not only are Amazon and B&N not in the same ball park, they're not even on the same planet! 

That doesn't mean that Microsoft wouldn't do it.  Microsoft has made other mistakes.  :smileyfrustrated:

roustabout

Re: Microsoft What??

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure anyone, even here, sees BN as a fierce technological competitor with Amazon. 

They maintain an important presence in bookselling for now in part because they strangled so many booksellers in the '90s.  BN has a lot of book and magazine content deals - and probably has better relationships in the publishing industry than either of the Seattle outfits do, because BN has a strong East Coast footprint at the management level and relationships that go back to actionable conspiracy with the publishers.  By contrast, Microsoft killed encyclopedia publishing and Amazon's trying to kill retail publishing.  I think an MS / BN deal makes sense from a vantage point of "who's done less harm to publishing is likely to have better access to the buggy whip folks going forward" - and as AOL's continued existence demonstrates, there's a long, fat tail of folks who plateau out on technology.   (From that perspective, Bezos' purchase of the Washington Post gets him a very interesting place within not one but two charmed circles - ink on paper publishing and beltway politics.) 

On the technology front, well... 

Amazon's cloud infrastructure gets into trouble, and tons of other companies are impacted.  It's front-page or front-business-page news the next day, consumers everywhere notice that night if it's Netflix that's down, and quite a few places model their disaster planning for intermediate grade screwups around Amazon cloud failures. 

By contrast, when the BN cloud gets into trouble, it can take a week or two before anyone else hears about it and the guys at BN scrape together gas money, jumpstart the pickup and head to Best Buy to replace the D-Link switch that links up their geospatially redundant datacenters.

The topology looks like this:

bn cloud design.JPG 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft What??

High Rewards ==> High Risks  ??