Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Signing In.

[ Edited ]

If you are on Mozilla Firefox. Go into tools, select options, select privacy and see what default selection is chosen. I think it should say, “never remember history” if you don’t want it to ask you any questions and you don't want your history and cookies deleted automatically. if you want to select what and when you want things deleted, click on the arrow and choose custom settings for history. it is the bottom (third) choice in the list.
In Explorer, select tools, internet options and general tab. Under browsing history, select settings. You can decide how you want the computer to handle it. Then select the privacy tab, select advanced and tell it what you want it to do with cookies. You can also select the Advanced tab and reset the default setting to its original state but I never did that so you need to be careful.
Sometimes when we get updates it screws around with our computer settings. I don't know why.
i hope this helps.
KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bloody H*ll it posted again before I got to type!  AHHH what's with today??

KathyS wrote:

I think I've solved this mystery...for me on the sign-in issue.  I'm not exactly a computer wiz, or knowledgeable about how these programs work...I end up fumbling around until I figure something out.

I have a program icon set on my computer for weekly removing history/cookies, etc...I'm suppose to use it, but forget most of the time.  I used it today.  Well, after I got rebooted, I pushed my B&N 'favorite' button on my keyboard, and as usual I went directly to the bookclubs. But,  I was not signed in, as I have been lately.  I had to type in my email and user name.  I clicked, 'remember me'.  Then it signed me in.  I logged out, deleted the window, and then pushed the button on my keyboard, again, to return to B&N...I was showed as logged in, without clicking on 'log in'.  Then I logged out, deleted the page, again....and used my handy-dandy history/cookie removal program, then booted my computer back up....then I pushed my B&N favorite button, and saw that I had to type the information, once again....

So, in this long explanation, if you were following it, the only time you aren't remembered, is when you delete your history.  But, it still seems odd that even though remembered, it by-passes clicking on 'log in', which it hadn't by-passed before.  But, that's okay, as long as it shows that I've logged out, before I delete the window, which it does.

Nope for me at least that's not the issue. Any time I close my browser I get a pop up asking if I really do want to still delete all my cookies, history, etc.....I always hit yes. Then after the browser closes another program I have goes in an automatically does it again, then does a invader search and kill. If I actually wanted to save my cookies, it would take some work.

I have nothing that automatic set up on my computer, except security updates and downloads from Windows.  If you wanted to save your cookies, couldn't you just NOT hit yes to delete them?

p.s.  I think Ryan sent out his team of Rolly Pollys on a quest,

and that just irritates those Trollys to death.

They seem to be having a little war in your computer! 

I just hate that when that happens, those silly critters!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Maintenance Today (Old)

Oh,yes one must be clear with me Jon..I am older;..V

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Older than what? - Old Maintenance? :smileyhappy:

K.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Jon,Paul,you?,Ryan,BN,multi-tasking,,Hepa Filters, VtcAngel

KathyS wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

K.

KathyS wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

K.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Whatever the board engineers are doing right now to the board is messing me up.  I just posted something on the science fiction board and the system kept removing all of my paragraph spacing, forcing me to use HTML to get it back.  It also insisted on using another font and defining that font before every single sentence that I wrote! 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, I have had a bit of this too Psychee and quite a few of the HTML error warnings which, as before, I ignore and eventually get through by just reposting.  Several times my post has included some programming typing gobbledegook which I have had to edit to remove. 
Also, the long delay when I sign in is back:smileysad:.  I really appreciated being able to get straight onto the bookclubs page instead of having to go through the Sign In palaver.   Clearly the engineers do not want to 'remember me' - not that I blame them:smileyvery-happy:.  

Psychee wrote:

Whatever the board engineers are doing right now to the board is messing me up.  I just posted something on the science fiction board and the system kept removing all of my paragraph spacing, forcing me to use HTML to get it back.  It also insisted on using another font and defining that font before every single sentence that I wrote!