Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,612
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


auntykatkat wrote:

Since Radio Shack is selling the NST for $20, this article may be correct. I do not think this is just a Mother's Day Sale. IMO


$20? Really? May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up, just as a back-up or upgrade for my daughter. She's still chugging along on my N1E.

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,504
Kudos: 3,957
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


RHWright wrote:
May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up

Best call ahead. This is a clearance sale, and almost all Radio Shack stores have already cleared out their entire inventory, including the display unit.

 

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎10-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


Doug_Pardee wrote:

RHWright wrote:
May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up

Best call ahead. This is a clearance sale, and almost all Radio Shack stores have already cleared out their entire inventory, including the display unit.

 


I missed my shot! I just called the Radio Shack stores near me and they are sold out.

I'm not surprised that they are possibly phasing out eink readers....everyone wants a tablet. I remember that was the original complaint back when the nook color first came out.

 

I think it's really short sighted on the part of BN. IMO continuing to support and improve eink readers could have set them up in a niche market full of their original customers, readers. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stock up on what they do have left. I have no desire to read on an Ipad or any similar tablet device, I don't want a Kindle and Kobo readers don't do it for me. :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 452
Registered: ‎02-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

I still have first edition nook and have been thinking of replacing it when the next eink device comes out. I wanted to hold out til a super fantastic ereader is developed. Almost think I should get the next one offered "just in case." I have an iPad and have no desire to read on it. I'd like something like the simple glow ereader just for reading.m
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 452
Registered: ‎02-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

I still have first edition nook and have been thinking of replacing it when the next eink device comes out. I wanted to hold out til a super fantastic ereader is developed. Almost think I should get the next one offered "just in case." I have an iPad and have no desire to read on it. I'd like something like the simple glow ereader just for reading.
Contributor
tendoboy1984
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

Looks like putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a waste of time.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,184
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


tendoboy1984 wrote:
Looks like putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a waste of time.

Cue the eyeroll.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

It's strange.

 

The TechCrunch article on this whole 'buying Nook' said that the plan was to phase out Tablets by April 2014 but keep on with the eInk devices.

 

I agree with the person above who said tha eInk devices are important to keep the core book reading target.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,323
Registered: ‎06-07-2011

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


5ivedom wrote:

It's strange.

 

The TechCrunch article on this whole 'buying Nook' said that the plan was to phase out Tablets by April 2014 but keep on with the eInk devices.

 

I agree with the person above who said tha eInk devices are important to keep the core book reading target.


 

It also makes sense since the tablets cost more to produce than the eink devices.  They have shorter lives due to the customers feeling that they need to have the newest and the best.  Which sounds good except you can only push the price so high before you get pushback and people look elsewhere or demand more from your tablet.  With eink most people seem to be ok with holding on until the device flat out fails and then replacing it.  This sounds bad except they're ok with a higher price since the idea is to have a device that lasts for a long time.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
doncr
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

 

It also makes sense since the tablets cost more to produce than the eink devices.  They have shorter lives due to the customers feeling that they need to have the newest and the best.  Which sounds good except you can only push the price so high before you get pushback and people look elsewhere or demand more from your tablet.  With eink most people seem to be ok with holding on until the device flat out fails and then replacing it.  This sounds bad except they're ok with a higher price since the idea is to have a device that lasts for a long time.


 

The tablets do allow BN to target more of their content to them though (music/videos/apps) compared to an eInk device.