Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering; Anti-rumor

You would think that as long as Amazon keeps promoting the Paperwhite that B&N would keep promoting the NSTG.  Amazon seems to think there is still a market for e-ink readers.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

You would think that as long as Amazon keeps promoting the Paperwhite that B&N would keep promoting the NSTG.  Amazon seems to think there is still a market for e-ink readers.

It seems that neither company has really figured out how to market e-ink, except the one commercial a year or two ago where the woman is reading hers outside (don't even remember if it was Nook or Kindle) while a guy is unable to see his iPad screen for the glare. The recent ads for the NSTG and the Paperwhite don't even give any good feel for how they differ from an LCD screen.

Everyone I know with an e-ink device prefers it for straight reading, especially for long periods.  Easier on the eyes, lighter, easy to hold and use one-handed.  I love my iPad for what it is, but for straight reading, no games, no websurfing, no apps, give me my NST.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

It seems that neither company has really figured out how to market e-ink, except the one commercial a year or two ago where the woman is reading hers outside (don't even remember if it was Nook or Kindle) while a guy is unable to see his iPad screen for the glare. The recent ads for the NSTG and the Paperwhite don't even give any good feel for how they differ from an LCD screen.

Everyone I know with an e-ink device prefers it for straight reading, especially for long periods.  Easier on the eyes, lighter, easy to hold and use one-handed.  I love my iPad for what it is, but for straight reading, no games, no websurfing, no apps, give me my NST.

I've been seeing the kindle ad with the little kids quite often.  Amazon is targeting a demographic that currently doesn't have a lot of ereader ownership - elementary school kids.  It's very cute and would make me want to buy my kid an ereader (if I had a kid).

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Isn't this market manipulation?

Only if it's being done to intentionally manipulate the market.  AFAIK this is just the outcome of an overly active rumor mill.

Even rumors need to start somewhere...

Yes, but that fact that someone wanted to start a rumor does not mean they wanted to start a rumor BECAUSE they wanted to manipulate the stock price.  You give people too much credit.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Deja vu, all over again

bobstro wrote:

... It would be nice if B&N let slip a hint that they have a strategy moving forward.

You're joking, right?  Forget about strategy, just consider marketing.  Example:  The addition of Google Play in the recent update.  What would have hurt to announce that (say) a week early?  Certainly not sales.

This is a company that repeatedly shows that it doesn't have a clue.  No wonder it seems that Microsoft is reluctant to buy it.  In order to buy it, Microsoft would have to summarily fire some of the decision-makers, and perhaps golden parachutes make that difficult.  Still, I think it'd be worth it.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Re: Deja vu, all over again

DeanGibson wrote:

bobstro wrote:

... It would be nice if B&N let slip a hint that they have a strategy moving forward.

You're joking, right?  Forget about strategy, just consider marketing.  Example:  The addition of Google Play in the recent update.  What would have hurt to announce that (say) a week early?  Certainly not sales.

This is a company that repeatedly shows that it doesn't have a clue.  No wonder it seems that Microsoft is reluctant to buy it.  In order to buy it, Microsoft would have to summarily fire some of the decision-makers, and perhaps golden parachutes make that difficult.  Still, I think it'd be worth it.

Microsoft isn't exactly known for making good decisions lately either.  It's possibly a match made in heaven!  :smileywink:

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Microsoft isn't exactly known for making good decisions lately either.  It's possibly a match made in heaven!  :smileywink:

What, you didn't just absolutely love Windows 8?

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

bobstro wrote:

What, you didn't just absolutely love Windows 8?

The only reason I even have Windows 8 in this house is because my wife needed a new notebook.  I even passed on the $19.95 upgrade special MS was offering when Win8 was first released.  MS is becoming a joke.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Isn't this market manipulation?

Only if it's being done to intentionally manipulate the market.  AFAIK this is just the outcome of an overly active rumor mill.

Even rumors need to start somewhere...

Yes, but that fact that someone wanted to start a rumor does not mean they wanted to start a rumor BECAUSE they wanted to manipulate the stock price.  You give people too much credit.

Keriflur I think you MAY be more cynical than I am (and that's not easy)... :smileywink:

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

The only reason I even have Windows 8 in this house is because my wife needed a new notebook.  I even passed on the $19.95 upgrade special MS was offering when Win8 was first released.  MS is becoming a joke.

When my Mom's old computer died, I managed to get the last Windows 7 PC that Frey's had sitting in the back room.  I know IT professionals who still can't manage to get a Win8 machine to do what they want it to.  I wasn't going to inflict one on an 85-year-old woman.