Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

bklvr896 wrote:

If the stop making them, I don't know where I will go from here.  I do not want to have to read on a tablet.

You could always go with Kobo.  They support epub, and seem to have a decent dedication to eink devices. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout
0 Kudos

The new high-end Kobo device is rumored to be a platform that BN had first refusal on and chose not to buy.

I suspect that's the screen, not the complete package - but if the complete package was assembled before BN pulled the ripcord, it'd be interesting to try backing it up, then installing the Nook OS onto it.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

You could always go with Kobo.  They support epub, and seem to have a decent dedication to eink devices. 

One limitation of the Kobo devices is that they support ADE DRM, but (so far as I know) not B&N DRM. You'd have to work around B&N's DRM to get your existing books onto a Kobo. That would, of course, break one of your last remaining ties to B&N, which is a good example of why B&N should still care about eink readers.

I believe the Kobos are all still based on Linux rather than Android, meaning that alternate readers will not be so easy to come buy. I use an older version of the Mantano Reader on my NST presently, and it supports both ADE and B&N DRM. That option won't exist on a Kobo.

I looked at the Kobo devices at Best Buy and liked them just fine. If you can get your ebooks into an acceptable format, I wouldn't have major problems using one. I even liked the Mini.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

The new high-end Kobo device is rumored to be a platform that BN had first refusal on and chose not to buy.

I suspect that's the screen, not the complete package - but if the complete package was assembled before BN pulled the ripcord, it'd be interesting to try backing it up, then installing the Nook OS onto it.  

If the rumor is true, I really hope it was a refusal on the whole package.  Otherwise it was a bad move from B&N.

I did a bit more research the the aura, while having a really nice screen, seems to take several steps back in form factor and design.  And I'm not talking about the lack of page moving buttons.  The thickness of the device, the placement of a on/off switch for the light alone. 

The screen however would have been a nice upgrade to the NSTG, couple that with an improved light, a slightly better processor, and  improvements to the software and I think most of the issues people have had with the NST/G would be solved. 

I think Kobo really should try and get in to a brick and mortar store in the US. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

bobstro wrote:

One limitation of the Kobo devices is that they support ADE DRM, but (so far as I know) not B&N DRM. You'd have to work around B&N's DRM to get your existing books onto a Kobo. 

BN Social DRM can be unlocked like any ADEPT EPUB through ADE.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

[...] The screen however would have been a nice upgrade to the NSTG, couple that with an improved light, a slightly better processor, and  improvements to the software and I think most of the issues people have had with the NST/G would be solved. 

Kobo gets high marks for their screen illumination, so they must be doing something differently than B&N and Amazon. 

I think Kobo really should try and get in to a brick and mortar store in the US. 

Well, they were in Borders. I have also seen Kobo readers in a few of the botique book stores at airports. The Powell's web site advertises them, so I assume they're present in the stores as well.

Reading the UK news releases, it looks like B&N is operating in this mode (presence in B&M shops) successfully. Rather than killing off the existing chains as they did in the US, B&N seems to be working with them. Lessons to be learned, perhaps?

bobstro
0 Kudos

B&N DRM unlock using ADE

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN Social DRM can be unlocked like any ADEPT EPUB through ADE.

Really? I did not know that. So you just open the epub in your desktop ADE app and it's "fixed", or is there more to it.

B&N had best be making noise about this if they do plan to ditch the NSTG anytime soon, lest the FUDlers make it sound like you have to migrate off of B&N altogether.

Thanks, FT.

keriflur

Re: B&N DRM unlock using ADE

My expectation is that if B&N stops producing eink nooks, most folks will switch over to kindle, not kobo, in part because not a lot of folks know about the kobo, and in part because the folks who do know about the kobo also know about the poor quality of Kobo's customer service.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

bobstro wrote:

Really? I did not know that. So you just open the epub in your desktop ADE app and it's "fixed", or is there more to it.

Yep, same method as bringing an ADEPT EPUB from Kobo (or Sony, or Google Play, or what have you) over to a NOOK.

It's actually been possible since 2010 (back when Adobe released the beta for ADE 1.8).

Bibliophile
bklvr896

flyingtoastr wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Yep, same method as bringing an ADEPT EPUB from Kobo (or Sony, or Google Play, or what have you) over to a NOOK.

It's actually been possible since 2010 (back when Adobe released the beta for ADE 1.8).

It was my understanding that even though ADE has the capability, neither Kobo or Sony had enabled it on their devices.  And I don't really want to be tied to sideload ing everything.  I may pick up another NST as a backup.

really don't want to go to a Kindle.  I may wind up with 2, 7" tablets so I'll always have one charged.  But I really want an updated BN eink device.