Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Deja vu, all over again

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

The only reason I even have Windows 8 in this house is because my wife needed a new notebook.  I even passed on the $19.95 upgrade special MS was offering when Win8 was first released.  MS is becoming a joke.

When my Mom's old computer died, I managed to get the last Windows 7 PC that Frey's had sitting in the back room.  I know IT professionals who still can't manage to get a Win8 machine to do what they want it to.  I wasn't going to inflict one on an 85-year-old woman.

Is it possible to install Win7 on a machine that ships with Win8?

I know Apple claims that you cannot install an earlier version of an OS than the one that a mac ships with, but I'd think with Windows you could.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

The only reason I even have Windows 8 in this house is because my wife needed a new notebook.  I even passed on the $19.95 upgrade special MS was offering when Win8 was first released.  MS is becoming a joke.

When my Mom's old computer died, I managed to get the last Windows 7 PC that Frey's had sitting in the back room.  I know IT professionals who still can't manage to get a Win8 machine to do what they want it to.  I wasn't going to inflict one on an 85-year-old woman.

I know Apple claims that you cannot install an earlier version of an OS than the one that a mac ships with, but I'd think with Windows you could.

You would most likely have to reformat your hard drive and start from scratch.  Heck, you could probably install DOS 5 if you wanted to using that method (although it wouldn't recognize your hardware).

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

There are some companies that will give you a choice of OS on a new computer. Tigerdirect, for instance.

Frequent Contributor
The_Walrus_43

Heard that Microsoft is releasing Windows 8.1 soon as a free update. Rumor says that it will have an option to have the "classic" start button and desktop.

roustabout
0 Kudos

My understanding of the legalese is that you can install the last OS on the current OS' license. 

However, I don't think the license keys distributed with consumer PCs will work to activate the prior version, meaning you'd need to have the installation media for the prior OS, do the install, then call MS and read them your Win 8 license key to get your Win 7 installation activated.  

I think, but am not sure, that you can download the ISOs for win 7 from MS still (quite possibly as one giant ISO that covers all releases of Win 7 plus server 2008, or it may be two separate ISOs, one for the client and one for the server.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

My understanding of the legalese is that you can install the last OS on the current OS' license. 

However, I don't think the license keys distributed with consumer PCs will work to activate the prior version, meaning you'd need to have the installation media for the prior OS, do the install, then call MS and read them your Win 8 license key to get your Win 7 installation activated.  

I think, but am not sure, that you can download the ISOs for win 7 from MS still (quite possibly as one giant ISO that covers all releases of Win 7 plus server 2008, or it may be two separate ISOs, one for the client and one for the server.)  

If you're replacing an existing Win7 PC, as many folks are, you can use the activiation code for your existing PC.

There are about a dozen ISOs, actually - one for each version of Win7 (home, professional, ultimate), for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, and then these are duplicated for another variable, if I remember correctly.  If you want to use the code from your existing system, you have to find the ISO that matches that system's installation.

As of last November, you could still download Win7 ISOs.  There are also inx on the net for how to create a bootable jump drive.

It's good to know that the hardware will support the Win7 installation.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The hardware hasn't really changed all that much, and it isn't under the control of MS, unlike with Apple.  I have to imagine it's fairly easy for Apple to have the system do a check for the OS that you're attempting to install and have it simply refuse to boot from that DVD.  Especially since they've started using part of the internal HD space as a restore/repair/reinstall drive, and made it really easy for current owners to simply update using the App Store. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.