Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft Offering $1B for Nook Media?

auntykatkat wrote:

Since Radio Shack is selling the NST for $20, this article may be correct. I do not think this is just a Mother's Day Sale. IMO

$20? Really? May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up, just as a back-up or upgrade for my daughter. She's still chugging along on my N1E.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:
May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up

Best call ahead. This is a clearance sale, and almost all Radio Shack stores have already cleared out their entire inventory, including the display unit.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

RHWright wrote:
May have to locate a RS (very few in my area) and stop by and pick one up

Best call ahead. This is a clearance sale, and almost all Radio Shack stores have already cleared out their entire inventory, including the display unit.

I missed my shot! I just called the Radio Shack stores near me and they are sold out.

I'm not surprised that they are possibly phasing out eink readers....everyone wants a tablet. I remember that was the original complaint back when the nook color first came out.

I think it's really short sighted on the part of BN. IMO continuing to support and improve eink readers could have set them up in a niche market full of their original customers, readers. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stock up on what they do have left. I have no desire to read on an Ipad or any similar tablet device, I don't want a Kindle and Kobo readers don't do it for me. :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I still have first edition nook and have been thinking of replacing it when the next eink device comes out. I wanted to hold out til a super fantastic ereader is developed. Almost think I should get the next one offered "just in case." I have an iPad and have no desire to read on it. I'd like something like the simple glow ereader just for reading.m
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I still have first edition nook and have been thinking of replacing it when the next eink device comes out. I wanted to hold out til a super fantastic ereader is developed. Almost think I should get the next one offered "just in case." I have an iPad and have no desire to read on it. I'd like something like the simple glow ereader just for reading.
Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

Looks like putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a waste of time.
keriflur

tendoboy1984 wrote:
Looks like putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a waste of time.

Cue the eyeroll.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's strange.

The TechCrunch article on this whole 'buying Nook' said that the plan was to phase out Tablets by April 2014 but keep on with the eInk devices.

I agree with the person above who said tha eInk devices are important to keep the core book reading target.

Mercury_Glitch

5ivedom wrote:

It's strange.

The TechCrunch article on this whole 'buying Nook' said that the plan was to phase out Tablets by April 2014 but keep on with the eInk devices.

I agree with the person above who said tha eInk devices are important to keep the core book reading target.

It also makes sense since the tablets cost more to produce than the eink devices.  They have shorter lives due to the customers feeling that they need to have the newest and the best.  Which sounds good except you can only push the price so high before you get pushback and people look elsewhere or demand more from your tablet.  With eink most people seem to be ok with holding on until the device flat out fails and then replacing it.  This sounds bad except they're ok with a higher price since the idea is to have a device that lasts for a long time.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It also makes sense since the tablets cost more to produce than the eink devices.  They have shorter lives due to the customers feeling that they need to have the newest and the best.  Which sounds good except you can only push the price so high before you get pushback and people look elsewhere or demand more from your tablet.  With eink most people seem to be ok with holding on until the device flat out fails and then replacing it.  This sounds bad except they're ok with a higher price since the idea is to have a device that lasts for a long time.

The tablets do allow BN to target more of their content to them though (music/videos/apps) compared to an eInk device.