Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mister_Nobody
0 Kudos

Mister Nobody Recommends Stuart Woods

Calling all Stuart Woods fans!  Let me know your favorite Stuart Woods novel and your favorite character.  This month I am also asking fans to vote on which of the these two novels are better: 

1. Kisser

2. Dead in the Water

Just reply here and we can discuss any Woods novel from any series.  Stuart Woods is one of those writers where you can truly say his writing is "fast-paced".  His books are fun, fierce, fast and furious. 

When you are at the end of your rope, come find me.
Contributor
Mister_Nobody
0 Kudos

Re: Mister Nobody Recommends Stuart Woods

Well February is almost here and the current leading title is "Kisser".  Stuart's later book are a little slimmer and quicker than his earlier ones, but for me I loved "Dead in the Water".  The plot was fun and the characters were interesting.

For February the 2 nominees for best book are:

1. Orchid Beach

2. The Short Forever

There is still time to vote on the first nominees too, but only a couple of days left.

Contributor
Mister_Nobody
0 Kudos

Re: Mister Nobody Recommends Stuart Woods

January winner - "Kisser"

February Nominees are:

1. Orchid Beach

2. The Short Forever

February Poll:

What is your favorite recurring Stuart Woods character?

I am currently reading the latest Stone Barrington novel, "Strategic Moves" and it is awesome so far.  Next up... "Lucid Intervals" and then "Sante Fe Dead".

Let me know how much you love Stuart Woods and visit Mister Nobody's MyB&N page here on bn.com.  All my latest reviews and reading lists are featured on my homepage there.

Contributor
Mister_Nobody
0 Kudos

Mister Nobody Recommends Stuart Woods - UPDATED

In theory there are so many authors out there it can be hard to choose just one for which to focus your time and energy. Especially for a full year.  The reality is that the decision came quite easily.  Anyone who knows me (and I know you don't, but bear with me) knows I never make a rash decision and with deciding what author I truly love the most and am excited enough to go through their entire library with other readers was a choice made with true passion. 

Of all the books and films I love there is a common thread through all of them.  Whether it is a horror film, an action or psychological thriller or just a James Bond spy adventure I love them all because they are fun and fast.  I enjoy being completely absorbed in a film or a book and hardly coming up for air.  When it comes to books there are fewer authors who can do this continuously than with movies. 

That author is Stuart Woods.  This author has done it all in novel form and has created several endearing and entertaining characters throughout the years.  And he writes his own stuff, too!  He has written horror ("Under the Lake") and psychological suspense ("Imperfect Strangers" and "Dead Eyes") and historical ("The Prince of Beverly Hills"), as well as two of his most popular recurring characters Stone Barrington and Holly Barker.  Throughout is many, many bestsellers he moves main characters into other characters' worlds so effortlessly like putting Holly Barker in a Stone Barrington novel (Reckless Abandon) or lesser characters like Chuck Chandler and Tommy Sculley from "Choke" in "Loitering with Intent" with Stone Barrington. 

Above all this his books are truly fun, fast and furious.  You'll find yourself breezing through one of his novels in hours and then dying to pick up another one. 

Here is a list of the first novels in each of his main series:

New York Dead (Stone Barrington Series #1) 

Orchid Beach (Holly Barker Series #1)  

Chiefs (Will Lee Series #1)  

The Prince of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron Series #1)  

Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle Series #1)  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Re: Mister Nobody Recommends Stuart Woods - UPDATED

I used to really like Stuart Woods but lately he's become way to formulaic for my tasted.  I've read his latest books and found them extremely predictable and yawn-worthy.   I'm glad I borrowed them from the library because I would have really kicked myself if I had paid for them.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I used to really like Stuart Woods but lately he's become way to formulaic for my tasted.  I've read his latest books and found them extremely predictable and yawn-worthy.   I'm glad I borrowed them from the library because I would have really kicked myself if I had paid for them.

I would have to agree to some extent.  The last couple really seemed to be lacking substance.  I enjoyed the last one, but I was looking for a light read, so it fit the bill.  But basically, they all seem to be following the same formula these days.  I generally enjoy the interaction between Stone and Dino, I find it funny, but they certainly aren't books that I go "wow, that was a great book".  More like, ok, not a bad way to pass the time and it didn't take me a long time to read it.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Stuart Woods has been relegated as one of my go-to authors when I'm looking for fluff to read when I'm not feeling well and need something to not concentrate on.  It seems he's becoming a more modern Sidney Sheldon (except Sidney Sheldon always wrote the way he did).  Stuart Woods' quality has gone down in my opinion.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Stuart Woods has been relegated as one of my go-to authors when I'm looking for fluff to read when I'm not feeling well and need something to not concentrate on.  It seems he's becoming a more modern Sidney Sheldon (except Sidney Sheldon always wrote the way he did).  Stuart Woods' quality has gone down in my opinion.

True, true.  The earlier books certainly had more depth to them.  As a aside, Stone's a slut, a lovable one, but still, he sleeps with every women he comes in contact with except Elaine.  And sometimes with days of each other.:smileywink:

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

True, true.  The earlier books certainly had more depth to them.  As a aside, Stone's a slut, a lovable one, but still, he sleeps with every women he comes in contact with except Elaine.  And sometimes with days of each other.:smileywink:

Actually in one of the recent books he slept with two women at the same time.  I think that was a first for the series.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Actually in one of the recent books he slept with two women at the same time.  I think that was a first for the series.

I'm not sure I remember that, or maybe I do, vague recollection.:smileyvery-happy: