Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: Most Evil Character in a Book?

The Tahja Rhia, Face Stealer of the Northern Reaches.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Contributor
omastigia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Lord Voldemort , definitely.
So much time and so little to do! Stop, reverse that.
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

omastigia wrote:
Lord Voldemort , definitely.

God, definitely.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

I want to add the demon Pazazu from the book The Exorcist to the list.  Can't believe I didn't think of him months ago. Doesn't get much more evil than that. <<<shivers with fear>>>

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto
0 Kudos

I'd agree with a few of these: Hannibal Lechter, Cruella DeVille, Lord Voldemort. At least, they were the very first ones to come to my mind!

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.
New User
rosalie10
0 Kudos

The most scariest character in a book for me was Hitler in one eye lahging the other weeping.It was so depressing and I was so horrible when they came in and took her mother and I think tjey raped her mother but they never did know what happend to her. Then have her mother commit sucide. Her brother to run away with a girl and best friend. Hitler caused it all just hitler and his nazi party.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I would also have to suggest "Hilly" in The Help .  I find her so scarey/evil simply because such a person easily exists. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'm sure I am probably missing someone, because I have read so many books.  I would agree with Randall Flagg and Hannibal Lecter.  For some classical examples from Dickens, Quilp in The Old Curiosity Shop might be the worst, and Bill Sikes in Oliver Twist is pretty bad, too. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Annie Wilkes from Misery.

Actually I was going to post The Lovely Bones character and Flagg but you guys beat me to it!!!

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

msmoonlite wrote:

Annie Wilkes from Misery.

Actually I was going to post The Lovely Bones character and Flagg but you guys beat me to it!!!

I thought of Annie the other night as well.  Some could argue that technically she's not evil but crazy - I'd go with both!