Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
N1E-lover

My perfect Nook would have......

Dear Santa,

I promise I've been good this year.  May I please have a Nook with the following features for my efforts?

1.  3G!!!  (I always use this feature on road trips and won't part with my N1E as a result, in fact I'd even go for a subscription service if you can't do it for free)

2.  The lighting mechanism of the NST Glow

3.  Color e-Ink so I can have all the pretty pics in my mags that show on my Nook phone app

4.  Wireless library downloads from Overdrive  (I'm a self proclaimed library slut)

5.  Long battery life of the Glow (although closer to that of the Paperwhite would be nice too)

6.  Removable battery like my N1E.....just incase

7.  Shape/size/weight of the NST complete with current buttons

8.  Support for .doc, txt, and mp3 in addition to what the NST already supports

-no need to add speakers, I use headphones

9.  Lockable shelves so that adult content can stay hidden from young eyes that want to read Harry    Potter on their Aunt's eReader.

10.  MicroSD slot, this is such a great feature!

Thanks Santa!!!!  We'll be sure to leave cookies and carrots for you and your reindeer!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: My perfect Nook would have......

I would love color eInk or IZGO LCD screen.

In other aspects Nook Tablet is very close to ideal to me. Weight and Thickness wise some improvements would be nice.

MicroSD Card Slot - I hope they keep it.

Nook Tablet is actually very close to what's ideal for me. I must be getting old because all this quad core stuff just seems marketing to me know.

Frequent Contributor
Toreth

YES!! 

I'd also like to add the ability to organize my shelves on my computer.

Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

I to would like to oginize my shelves from my computer. I also would like to have a removable battery like the N!E. It was the selling point for me when I got my first Nook,

Auntykatkat

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Organizing on a computer would be ideal. Including all ebooks, regardless of source, in all features (e. g. I covers, metadata display) is important. Synchronizing organization between devices is also key. Light weight, long battery life and outdoor readability are key. I'm not tied to any particular technology to do so, nor is color my top priority. Some of the stats tracking like Kobo would be nice.
Contributor
Arwym
0 Kudos

I ask for the following:

- Better PDF support, for sure! I have many PDFs that depend on images (they are drawing guides, tutorials, game and software manuals, etc.); these are not always visible on the Nook, making the PDFs impossible to read and follow.

- I'd also like to be able to adjust the contrast/brightness/etc. of my e-ink screen's display, if that makes sense. I read manga epubs (I compile them myself) and it's a hassle to go editing batches of images to make sure they are readable enough on the screen. An option like that would be perfect.

- .CBR and .CBZ support (they're basically ZIP and RAR archives, but the extensions work to make them stand out as comic books, graphic novels and the like). The Kobo supports these formats, but I have a Nook, and I love it, so buying a Kobo eReader is not on my mind at this time.

- A basic Web browser, please! Or at least the ability to view images other than as screensavers. Again, I read a lot of manga.

Looking to meet other manga and comic enthusiasts!

Follow me on Goodreads.com!
Inkmesh, eBook search engine - Good for comparing prices!
Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

N1E-lover wrote:

Dear Santa,

I promise I've been good this year.  May I please have a Nook with the following features for my efforts?

1.  3G!!!  (I always use this feature on road trips and won't part with my N1E as a result, in fact I'd even go for a subscription service if you can't do it for free)

2.  The lighting mechanism of the NST Glow

3.  Color e-Ink so I can have all the pretty pics in my mags that show on my Nook phone app

4.  Wireless library downloads from Overdrive  (I'm a self proclaimed library slut)

5.  Long battery life of the Glow (although closer to that of the Paperwhite would be nice too)

6.  Removable battery like my N1E.....just incase

7.  Shape/size/weight of the NST complete with current buttons

8.  Support for .doc, txt, and mp3 in addition to what the NST already supports

-no need to add speakers, I use headphones

9.  Lockable shelves so that adult content can stay hidden from young eyes that want to read Harry    Potter on their Aunt's eReader.

10.  MicroSD slot, this is such a great feature!

Thanks Santa!!!!  We'll be sure to leave cookies and carrots for you and your reindeer!

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this but you beat me to it. :smileyhappy:

I would like just about everything on this list with a few additions. Give me a seven inch screen. Make it just like the Nook 1E in size but instead of a 1 inch LCD and a six inch eInk screen, a 7 inch color eInk screen would be perfect. Obviously this format would preclude your number seven wish but I think we could compromise to get the eReader we both would like.  I'm not a fan of the 3G but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

For the extreme dreaming wish list, add Bluetooth support.  Improve the PDF support, add the ability to read in landscape, and add more formats like .doc, and all of the Open Document formats. Finally, add a basic browser or use Opera mini or Firefox mobile so you don't have to write it yourself.  It will never be a tablet or a media device but that is OK.

So what do you say B&N? 

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I would love color eInk or IZGO LCD screen.

In other aspects Nook Tablet is very close to ideal to me. Weight and Thickness wise some improvements would be nice.

MicroSD Card Slot - I hope they keep it.

Nook Tablet is actually very close to what's ideal for me. I must be getting old because all this quad core stuff just seems marketing to me know.

I just found out what IGZO is. That would be perfect for a new Nook Tablet and Nook Color replacement.  It seems like amazing technology and I applaud it.  If B&N could release a Nook with this and steal Apple's supposed thunder of the iPad mini, that would be pretty great.  My only concern would be outdoor reading and eyestrain which can happen if I stare at a LCD too long.  As this is a reformulation of an LCD display, I think I would prefer color eInk even with all of its flaws for an eReader.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

My perfect Nook would be drastically improved BN eReader and book management software running on the tablet, PC, and smartphone of my choice.  Let me choose the device and let BN provide the software and sell content to provide a best-in-class premier eReading experience.

Reader 2
humblebyHim
0 Kudos

I love my Nookcolor. FOR ME, it would be perfect if eink was one of themes for reading and it had immersion reading like the new Kindle fire. I would prefer it these additions came in an software upgrade like the Netflix did. If I have to buy another ereader to get these options it would be a kindle fire or the new ipad mini. Sorry BN. The nookcolor is almost perfect for except for these 2 things. As for organizing my ebooks and docs on my computer. Too easy. I love the sd slot because I can download all my pdf files and read them any where.
Nookcolor- hoping for software upgrads eink and immersion reading