Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

NOOK eReader Freeze

My NOOK Tablet eReader froze again.  Just a few minutes ago.  I was reading the Neil Gaiman book The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  The symptoms were a bit different this time.

I had read only about 10 or 15 pages when the screen froze.  What was different this time was that I saw an error message after about 2 or 3 minutes of looking at a frozen screen.  The error message is as follows:

Sorry!

The application Reader (process com.bn.nook.reader.activities) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again.

There is a button under the message with the label "Force close"

There is a white exclamation point in a red circle at the upper left corner of the message box, which has black lettering on a white background.

I have never seen this message before, but I have seen my screen freeze on numerous occasions.  What do you think?  Is this hardware or software?

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK eReader Freeze

Just out of curiosity, how long has it been since you rebooted the device? Sometimes mine (phones, computers, tablets) do strange things when they haven't been rebooted in awhile.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I had to reboot it last month (or the month before) when it froze up completely, and the only way I was able to recover was to power off and back on.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That behavior is what you're supposed to see when an Android app is non-responsive. I can't say why you've seen full device lockups in the past, but this variation at least lets you know that the B&N app (process com.bn.nook.reader.activities) is what's locking up. Was your device responsive again after you force closed the app? If so, that narrows it down.

As to what is causing the reader to become unresponsive, that's hard to say, and B&N doesn't give us a lot of tools to work with. I'd try a factory wipe to clear out any corrupted files. If that does't fix it, a firmware reload might be called for.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

That behavior is what you're supposed to see when an Android app is non-responsive. I can't say why you've seen full device lockups in the past, but this variation at least lets you know that the B&N app (process com.bn.nook.reader.activities) is what's locking up. Was your device responsive again after you force closed the app? If so, that narrows it down.

As to what is causing the reader to become unresponsive, that's hard to say, and B&N doesn't give us a lot of tools to work with. I'd try a factory wipe to clear out any corrupted files. If that does't fix it, a firmware reload might be called for.

I have been using the device for 21 months.  It has frozen on occasions too numerous to count.  This is the first time I have ever seen this error message.

The device began working normally after the force close.  I did not have to power it down.

I don't believe that this was the exact same problem as the other freeze-ups I have seen because it was a short book (152 pages), and the freeze-up occurred on page #10. 

To me, this sounds like software, but I am open to suggestions. 

I don't have any more NOOK e-books to read for a while, so I might not be able to relay any additional information for a time.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

It did it again.  This time it was on page #339 of the NOOK e-book "First Deadly Sin" by Lawrence Sanders, which I purchased from B&N.  I was not able to leave page #339.  Every time I tried to advance the page, it would take me to the beginning of page #339.  I turned off the power, then turned it back on so that the device rebooted.  It resumed working normally, which is to say not all that well.  Frequently, it is not possible to select text for the purposes of dictionary lookup or highlighting.  It has been this way since it was new. 

Correspondent
luv2read29
0 Kudos

I HAVE A NOOK COLOR THAT FREEZES WHEN I PLAT TYCOON SLOTS I GET THE SAME MESSAGE TO WAIT OR FORCE CLOSE BUT I NEVER HAD A BOOK FREEZE WHILE I WAS READING,
Correspondent
Wulfraed

PLEASE turn off the all caps. All caps is considered the equivalent of shouting.

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
luv2read29
0 Kudos

Excuse me i did not realize i was shouting!! I have bad eyes larger print is easier for me.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

luv2read29 wrote:
Excuse me i did not realize i was shouting!! I have bad eyes larger print is easier for me.

Your browser likely has a text zoom setting - that may help.