Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

Need book suggestion

I need a reading suggestion. I use to read Anne Rice, the older books but do not like her new stuff. Then I stopped reading for years till recently when I had a bit more time. Kids off to college …..

Anyway, I have just finished reading all the Harry Potter books in a row. While I wait for book 7 I need something to read but it has been so long since I had done much reading I have no idea what out there or where even to start. I know I don’t like writer who take pages to write what they could say in one sentence. If I don’t get interested in a book right away I will never read it. I can’t read chapters on end to get to the real story.

Any input on who or what to look up at my next visit to B & N will be a much help. It is kind of hard walking around picking up books at random.

Thanks
Kimberly
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Need book suggestion

Kimberly,

If you like mysteries you could try Witch Way To Murder by Shirley Damsgaard. If you like a combination of suspense and romance you coul try White Lies by Jayne Anne Krenz. If you want something with Vampires and Werewolves you could try Kitty And The Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn. All of the authors are very good and we have talked about them in both the Mystery And Romance Book Clubs.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

If you like Anne Rice . . . I highly recommend Laurell K Hamilton. We're having a discussion of Guilty Pleasures (the first book in her Anita Blake series) starting July 8th.

And for even more suggestions, head over to our SciFi Fantasy boards, where a few readers have posted some of their favourites. (Okay, that was a little shameless self-promotion. *grins*)
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

Thanks for the ideals, I will check them out at B&N when I stop in this week.

Kimber
Contributor
bedraper
0 Kudos

In the mystery genre, I would recomend Charles Todd. The books are, for the most part, fast reads and engrossing. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is a great read as well. In the fantasy genre I have always enjoyed Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. In the "historical fiction" (term used loosely) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See are also great.
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza are great autobiographies and finally The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is highly recomended.
New User
talp13
0 Kudos

I also need a book to catch my attention right away--authors like Harlen Coben, Tess Gerritsen, Patricia Cornwell, Philip Margolin, Robert B. Parker, Jonathan Kellerman--all are fast, exciting authors. Also Thomas Harris and Hannible Lecter books.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

talp13 wrote:
I also need a book to catch my attention right away--authors like Harlen Coben, Tess Gerritsen, Patricia Cornwell, Philip Margolin, Robert B. Parker, Jonathan Kellerman--all are fast, exciting authors. Also Thomas Harris and Hannible Lecter books.

talp13----You might want to try suspense thrillers by David Grippando who was on one of the B&N boards a while back. There are quite a few books by him. Look at some and see if you would like them.
Librarian
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:

talp13 wrote:

talp13----You might want to try suspense thrillers by David Grippando who was on one of the B&N boards a while back. There are quite a few books by him. Look at some and see if you would like them.
Librarian

David Baldacci's thrillers are also very good. If you want something a little different you might try a mystery by Martha Grimes, Ian Rankin, Dick Francis or Elizabeth George. The first two write in a series form but the other two, for the most part, write stand-alone books. They are all amazing storytellers.
Contributor
krys_camp
0 Kudos

The author that I like to read is Michael Connelly. He is a really good writer and keeps the reader into his books.