Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

We have recently started a Senior (citizen) book club here in our small town library. Can anyone recommend some good books? I'm trying to stear the Senior ladies away from romances - they're game for just about anything (so far we've read a great biography about Martha Washington and an older John Jakes novel).

I'd like to get newer titles but since we have to order 7 or eight copies I prefer to get them in paperback.

Any ideas that can be sent my way would be GREATLY appreciated !
Patty
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian

Re: Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

Patty_Champion wrote:
We have recently started a Senior (citizen) book club here in our small town library. Can anyone recommend some good books? I'm trying to stear the Senior ladies away from romances - they're game for just about anything (so far we've read a great biography about Martha Washington and an older John Jakes novel).

I'd like to get newer titles but since we have to order 7 or eight copies I prefer to get them in paperback.

Some ideas-------
Patriot Hearts  by Barbara Hambly----historical fiction in paperback---women behind the early presidents

The Red Hat Club Rides Again-by Hayward Smith---in paperback, humorous

Any of The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series books by Alexander McCall Smith

Snow Island by Katherine Fowler and its sequel Evening Ferry---life on a small island from world war onward

Brothers Keepers by Donald Westlake---very funny story of a group of brothers trying to save their prime real estate monastery from a developer.

any of Janet Evanovich's mysteries------comedy mysteries

Any of Jan Medlicott's books about The Ladies of Covington, The Gardens of Covington, From the Heart of Covington----best read in order

any of Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse mysteries----On What Grounds, Through the Grinder, etc.

Librarian
Contributor
Shawna-Leigh
0 Kudos

Ok.
James Patterson
-1st to die
-7th Heaven
Christopher Pike
-Burry me Deep
Thats all i can think of right now.
Message me and i could help you with some more=]
Thank You
Shawna
If you think the first page is good wait untill you read the last=]
Correspondent
momgee

Patty_Champion wrote:

I know this isn't a newer title but how about Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons by Lorna Landvik. Our local bookclub had a good discussion with The Girl with The pearl Earring quite a while back but we all enjoyed it.

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

I will gauge on what parents have read and enjoyed. They are in their early 70s.

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series b A.M. Smith
Anything by Ken Follett

My personal frequent recommendation is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. I think seniors would enjoy it as well.
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

Thank you SO MUCH for all the ideas. I've got a list started & will start ordering books today! I've already got the ladies reading "Angry housewives..." We read it in our regular book club & it's a hoot. I think the older ladies will enjoy it.

Have you lead a book club discussion? This is the first I've every done it & even though the ladies have a good time (they've asked if we can meet twice a month instead of just once) I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, or doing enough.

The real test is going to be when I start up our regular book club. I don't know if they'll be as easy-going or if they will be expecting more.

This is a great forum for me & opens up a whole new world :-)

Patty
Patty
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Patty_Champion wrote:

Have you lead a book club discussion? This is the first I've every done it & even though the ladies have a good time (they've asked if we can meet twice a month instead of just once) I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, or doing enough.

The real test is going to be when I start up our regular book club. I don't know if they'll be as easy-going or if they will be expecting more.

This is a great forum for me & opens up a whole new world :-)

Patty

Patty---If you go online to ReadingGroupGuides.com , there are discussion questions for many books and universal discussion questions for books that you may not find with discussion questions. I belong to a very friendly Book Club . We are active and retired school personnel. Enjoy it and go with the flow. If the discussion gets off track, you can usually get back on track with an interesting question or comment. Facilitate rather than direct and you will find an easy back and forth flow to the group. If you think one or two people might dominate the discussion, one good way around that is ,at the beginning of the group meeting, have each person in the group make one comment, question, or observation about the book.
Librarian
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

What a great website. Thank you. I think I'm on my way!

Patty
Patty
Frequent Contributor
Ebeth
0 Kudos

Here's my list of suggestions:

Classic literature:
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
Joy In The Morning
To Kill A Mockingbird
My Antonia
The Good Earth

General fiction:
Water For Elephants
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Friday Night Knitting Club
The Red Tent

Biography/Autobiography
Angela's Ashes
The Prize Winner Of Defiance, Ohio
The Diary Of Anne Frank
Please Stop Laughing At Me
"She went from room to room, floor to floor, stack to stack, reveling in books, books, books. She loved books. She loved them with her senses and her intellect." From Joy In The Morning, by Betty Smith
Contributor
l3rookeLuvsl3ooks
0 Kudos

Hi there, I see you have plenty of options.  I just must, however, mention the book that I just began to read.  It is Fannie Flagg's "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven".  It starts with Elner who has just fallen out of a fig tree in Missouri.  Her sixty-year-young niece is a nervous wreck, and she is bothering in every corner of Elner's life.  Elner is also a "lifelong Methodist in good standing" who has begun questioning questioning God.  The book comes with Reader's Circle questions.  It's a NYTimes Bestseller, and Flagg is the author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.  I swear, I don't think you could go wrong with this one! LMAO! I almost drown in the tub reading the first 27 pages of this last night.
Brrrr-ribbitt! Brooke Luvs Books!