Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
authorlisaspahr
0 Kudos

Re: Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

Hi Patty!

I just found your book inquiry online. I'm the author of a very uplifting non-fictional story about my family and scores of strangers helping each other during WWII. And, of course my book is available via Barnes and Noble. :smileyhappy:

I'd like to suggest your reading group read my book World War II Radio Heroes: Letters of Compassion (2008). I got the book published a little more than a year ago. Of course, I can offer a wholesale discount (if bought directly from me) and have an author Q&A/discussion session with all of the readers.

My book is an uplifting and heartwarming true story about men and women (like us) who spent their evenings in the living room tuning into enemy radio stations during WWII waiting to hear news of American POWs. When they heard a POWs name and hometown they sent a postcard or letter to his family letting them know he was captured (but alive). I found 70 of these letters in my grandfather's war chest 25 years after his death. I set out to discover why these people did this and how. And, ultimately to thank them. www.powletters.com   The story has moved me years beyond in understanding the amazing capacity of the human spirit. I'll never be the same after this journey.

Please read more, reviews, watch interviews, etc... at www.powletters.com.

Last year I spoke to more than 50 senior communities. They all loved the story- and it sparked them telling their own!

I promise you, you and your fellow readers will not be disappointed in this story. It was an honor to bring it to light.

Lisa Spahr

author

New User
BookSleuth
0 Kudos

If you are looking for a great book for seniors, try The Varicose Vigilantes by Jay Lumbert. This is a comedy thriller, where a group of senior citizens in Miami take on a mob kingpin. VV  is an uplifting page-turner with lots of humor and a good message. There is a lot of stuff here to discuss.

New User
BookSleuth
0 Kudos

You should take a look at The Varicose Vigilantes by Jay Lumbert. Talk about a fun read with a message! This is a comedy thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It will also make you feel good, maybe even see the world in a different light. Lot's of good stuff here for discussion.
New User
rjkozlo
0 Kudos

Yes, my new novel that is available through Barnes & Noble You can see it on their website.

"A Handful of Dust," by Robert J. Pajer

It takes place in the 21st Century and 1930.  You can view the trailer on www.youtube.com.  Just enter title and my name.

A"A Handful of Dustre you ready to take an incredible journey through time?

A Handful of Dust is the story of FBI agent Matt Wells, former football All-American at Syracuse University, and hotshot undercover agent battling his own emotional pain and guilt.  Wells is selected by the NSA to journey back in time and find a fugitive Navy Captain, Walter Kinlaw,

who is determined to assassinate New York Governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Judge Joseph Force Crater, the most famous 20th Century missing person appointed by FDR to his judgeship.  What does the Navy Captain want with Roosevelt and Crater?

By

Robert J. Pajer

A Handful of Dust is available at

www.valtec.info

www.amazon.com & www.barnesandnoble.com

View Trailer at www.youtube.com(click)

Think the present economic crisis is bad?

· Take a journey through the streets of 1930 depression-riddled New York City

· Explore the mysteries of time

· Experience Goethe’s theory of human passion-”Elective Affinities” with an added twist

· A Handful of Dust is a story of deception, adultery, and broken lives.

“You’re here,” Colonel Schraeker said, “to perform a surgical strike, a tactical operation with one goal, kill Walter Kinlaw before he kills FDR and Crater.”

He kills FDR and Crater.”

New User
aboyerAB
0 Kudos

Gumshoe Granny Investigates.  A fun book about friendship, growing old and the mysteries in life.

New User
JFromke
0 Kudos

My debut novel was just released in March of this year, A Familiar Shore by Jennifer Fromke. My largest demographic is Women 45+ so I think it might be a great fit for your club. Here's the back cover copy:

Meg Marks is a young lawyer raised off the coast of the Carolinas. An anonymous client hires her to arrange his will, and sends her to meet his estranged family at their lake home in northern Michigan. After a shocking discovery, she finds herself caught between his suspicious family and a deathbed promise her conscience demands that she keep. Will she sacrifice her own dreams for revenge, or will she choose something more?

The book is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble in print and digital formats. Check out the Amazon reviews so far. I'd be happy to join in your discussion via telephone or online chat if you'd be interested in that. You can learn more on my website: www.jenniferfromke.com Best of luck to you!

Jennifer Fromke

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

I haven't read through all the suggestions, but I highly recommend:

Anne George (funny mysteries with a pair of sisters who do the sleuthing, usually by accident.  They are wonderful.  I think they are in their 50s.)

Elizabeth Peters (funny mysteries).  Her Vicky Bliss series is typical zany young protag--hilarious.  Her Amelia Peabody is a more "sensible" type of traveling mystery--the main is an egyptologist.   VERY fun and funny reads.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
New User
dsulli
0 Kudos

I wrote a humorous short story about how two sisters, who are senior citizens, murder Justin Bieber. I have posted it on Amazon and iTunes, but am thinking of doing a revision and thought it would be good to get feedback on the story (which is only about ten pages). I'd love to submit my story to the group to read and get feedback from them. I can be reached at dpsullivan@iname.com

New User
Jennifer_AZ
0 Kudos

Huck, Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, The Boob Girls, and we are just finishing The Great Pearl Heist; our book club is in an assisted living facility for people with Alzheimer's; we meet once a week and read the book out loud then we do something at the end to celebrate our completion. Thank you so much to the Librarian who added such an incredible list; yes, our group is always asking for dirty romance novels but I refuse to read trash out loud so recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Distinguished Wordsmith
TarHeelGirl00

Jennifer_AZ wrote:
Huck, Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, The Boob Girls, and we are just finishing The Great Pearl Heist; our book club is in an assisted living facility for people with Alzheimer's; we meet once a week and read the book out loud then we do something at the end to celebrate our completion. Thank you so much to the Librarian who added such an incredible list; yes, our group is always asking for dirty romance novels but I refuse to read trash out loud so recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Are you familiar with the Bright's Pond series by Joyce Magnin?  The series of four begins with "The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow" and ends with "Blame it on the Mistletoe."  I would recommend reading them in order.  The characters are hilarious and zany!