Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
l3rookeLuvsl3ooks
0 Kudos

Re: Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

Argh... She has simply begun questioning God, not "questioning questioning" God.  Anywho, I also wanted to mention that the book was originally published in 2006, so it is pretty new.  The book apparently is about living in the now and enjoying life. 

Perhaps I should stop taking my books with drink...
Brrrr-ribbitt! Brooke Luvs Books!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Another great book that I loved when I read it, and I am a senior citizen is Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher. That was such a warm read enriched with the whole heart involved with coming of age.
Contributor
l3rookeLuvsl3ooks
0 Kudos

Now I am ridiculously excited!  I'm all signed up to facilitate a reading group at an Assisted Living facility in my suburb.  I'm starting with "Can't Wait Till I Get to Heaven", and I'll probably do, "Water for Elephants" in May.  Thanks for that wonderful website, Librarian! When I read it, I could see how a Book Club will unfold.  I guess I'll just use the 90-10 rule, and I'll let the members do most of the talking with some gentle steering.  I greatly appreciated the site's advice on when to schedule meetings and what to choose.  Please let me know if you have any more advice --- anybody! Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

Don't have any idea why I read this post and immediately "Gilead" came into my mind. Maybe because of the generational issues in it? I know it's a few years old, but...

Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

Thanks Brooke for the great suggestion! We have the Fannie Flagg book here in our library & I've added it to my list to buy. I think the ladies will really enjoy it. We just finished "Angry housewives eating bon-bons." It's a great book club book. I brought along the talking points from the Reading Group Guides website but my ladies are getting really good at carrying along the conversation.

The one thing they bring up often is their appreciation of such a diverse selection of books. They've so far enjoyed all the books and have passed them along to friends & family.
Patty
Contributor
l3rookeLuvsl3ooks
0 Kudos

"Angry Housewives..." looks like tons of fun.  I'll have to do that one sometime.  I'm going to buy Evanovich's "Naughty Neighbors" tonight.  I've actually decided to do that one first bc it seems 2 b such a fast fun read (I've only read the first 28pgs. online), and the facility would like me to do the first book club on April 12th! So I decided to go with something short that the participants can pick up anywhere, and your Evanovich recommendation was perfect.  Also, I've been researching clubs for seniors in homes, and I have found the three following very helpful tidbits:

:smileysurprised:According to an article accessible here
NLS has listening devices for people with qualifying disabilities, and they have a mailing library that allows those people to access many unabridged versions of books.  Being a Librarian, you probably already know about NLS, but it was news to me! You can call NLS and speak with a branch Librarian near you and she will send you more info.  including an application which you can copy and give to your folks and their facility.

:smileyvery-happy:Even seniors who are loosing their ability to read enjoy hearing about and attempting to discuss books.  They yearn for something new to share with their friends and loved ones.  It may be a good idea to have a group that is open to members who have not completed or even read the book.  Also, books selected should not be too juvenile.  Generally, it is better to discuss best sellers and books of current interest as well as old favorites.  Participants can choose their own levels of participation.  This facilitates independence and efficacy. Also, it is good to know that the books will likely be discussed in general settings such as the dining hall.  All people in the home can be touched by the group, not just those who attend! (Whoot!)

:smileywink: Taking a page from one home I found in Virginia, I see that they use Reader's Digest Select Large Prints for their selection base.  It works for them!

Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

"Naughty neighbors" sounds like fun. We may have to give that a try. I really appreciate the tips you've found. I actually have one lady that comes to the book club who can't read anymore but she enjoys the discussions. When we read the "Persian pickle club" by Sandra Dallas (which I strongly recommend) she participated -- because she, along with the other ladies lived during the time the story was set in the 1930's. I think she really got a kick out of that.

I also think the ladies really appreciate having light snack at book club. I always have strong black coffee & something yummy. Food always brings people in & puts a smile on their face!

Do you have a "regular" book club too? I'm trying to get that started back up but I can't decide if an evening or Saturday would work better. Any thoughts?

Patty
Patty
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

wow great selections
~ Jamisha R.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Patty_Champion wrote:
We have recently started a Senior (citizen) book club here in our small town library. Can anyone recommend some good books? I'm trying to stear the Senior ladies away from romances - they're game for just about anything (so far we've read a great biography about Martha Washington and an older John Jakes novel).

I'd like to get newer titles but since we have to order 7 or eight copies I prefer to get them in paperback.

Any ideas that can be sent my way would be GREATLY appreciated !

What popped into my mind was not very cheerful but when my parents died I found How we Die by Sherwin Nuland and the Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion very helpful.
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12

uhuuh hahaha yea it does.
~ Jamisha R.