Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
wordprocessor
0 Kudos

Re: Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

I have a lot of books I would like to give away. They are not romance, and the subject matter varies. All are in good condition. But, I only have 1 copy of each. Would you still be interested. I would be glad to send them and gladly pay for the postage.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

HI Kiakar - you are so right about Winter Solstice. I hated to see it end. Actually anything by Ms. Pilcher is sure to be enjoyed. Let's not forget Maeve Binchy - her novel,Light a Penny Candle  is just such a wonderful story as is Silver Anniversary also by Maeve Binchy. I bet your seniors are really enjoying themselves.

kiakar wrote:
Another great book that I loved when I read it, and I am a senior citizen is Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher. That was such a warm read enriched with the whole heart involved with coming of age.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

We're pretty set for books right now. To save on postage you could check in your town & donate the books. Here in Midlothian we have community outreach "store" that is always in need of books for low income families. And when you donate to a place like this, or a library or any non profit organization you can write it off your income taxes.

Thank you very much for the offer.
Patty
Frequent Contributor
wordprocessor
0 Kudos

Your welcome! And, thank you for the donation ideas. Good luck with your reading club.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

my son recently donated his excess books to the local library book sale. it is a great thing to do because the books get recycled to other book lovers and it also raises money for a great cause, the local library, a dying institution in some places!
twj

wordprocessor wrote:
I have a lot of books I would like to give away. They are not romance, and the subject matter varies. All are in good condition. But, I only have 1 copy of each. Would you still be interested. I would be glad to send them and gladly pay for the postage.

Frequent Contributor
wordprocessor
0 Kudos

Thats a great suggestion! So far, they are all sitting in piles in bags and sacks, in the dining room!
Sometimes, I procrastinate about getting rid of them, they seem like such good friends
MLRR
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Last year our county library system raised over $230,000. just from book sales. All that money went back into the system for new books, dvd, shelving etc. It is a fabulous cause. If your library holds any kind of a book sale, they will be thrilled by your donations. Think of all the happy people who will benefit by just your donation alone.

kaye

wordprocessor wrote:
Thats a great suggestion! So far, they are all sitting in piles in bags and sacks, in the dining room!
Sometimes, I procrastinate about getting rid of them, they seem like such good friends
MLRR

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
wordprocessor
0 Kudos

Thank you Momgee! I will load my car tomorrow, and haul those books away! I would love to know someone else is enjoying them as much as I do.
MLRR
Frequent Contributor
Irishbookish
0 Kudos

The Road to Nab End, by William Woodruff.

Looking for an enjoyable read??

The Road to Nab End is an Autobiography by William Woodruff who lived in extreme poverty in Blackburn, Northern England in 1916 around the time of the Great War. It's a richly woven tapestry of down-to-earth life which makes you feel a part of it all by the clever narrative and anecdotes. The attention to detail is crafted beautifully and sets the tone of the era and of the people's lives ingeniously.

Really, it's a book for any age. We want our kids to read it - might make a few folk grateful for those small things in life although could have you wishing for a simpler life :smileywink:
"As Time Doth Pass, Remember..."
www.traceybookish.wordpress.com
Author of Rhuddlan
New User
Bart2000
0 Kudos

Try "Escaping Obstacles" it is a perfect bookclub book