Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Need book suggestions for Senior (citizen) Book Club

[ Edited ]
Living in Fear is a book based on passed down family lore. Historical fiction .This book is on sale at Barnes and Noble.com This is a good story.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 05-20-2008 04:26 PM
New User
randomchoices
0 Kudos

I hope your book club is going well. I will be reading at a Nursing & Rehab center every other Sunday for perhaps half hour to an hour depending on the attention span and interest of the group and would like book recommendations on short stories to read to the nursing center residents. I think stories that are short, easy to follow and interesting would be a good fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Please let me know.

Thank you! 

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

This is not short stories but since it is in letter form, it might work. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is such a wonderful book. Have you read that?  What about some of Sherlock Holmes mystery stories? A lot of them are not that long.

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Patty_Champion wrote:
" I'm trying to get that started back up but I can't decide if an evening or Saturday would work better. Any thoughts?
Patty

They have something like that at our local library and they have it late moring or early afternoon. Many seniors prefer to do things like that in the day vs. the evening, although there are more seniors working partime these days so evening could be good also. Maybe you could put a vote out there and see which times they prefer.
Message Edited by LindaEducation on 01-05-2009 06:25 PM
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Patty_Champion wrote:
We have recently started a Senior (citizen) book club here in our small town library. Can anyone recommend some good books? I'm trying to stear the Senior ladies away from romances - they're game for just about anything (so far we've read a great biography about Martha Washington and an older John Jakes novel).
I'd like to get newer titles but since we have to order 7 or eight copies I prefer to get them in paperback.
Any ideas that can be sent my way would be GREATLY appreciated !

I recommend anything by author Steve Berry, his books are full of mystery, action and drama. If you like Dan Brown, you'll like Berry.  Happy reading!!

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Patty, Some of my favorite authors have books with short stories in them that are fictional and lively. Any bookstore or library should be able to find them. They are by Rosamund Pitcher and Maeve Binchy. These stories are about the older generation of men and women and probably hold interest for seniors . I am a senior now and enjoy to reread some and when I was in my forties I loved them also.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Art of the Tale is a great anthology of short stories that you could use for a long time and it is probably available in the library. Good luck and thank you for being kind to the residents of the nursing home. They are too often forgotten and treated like children who are brainless.

twj

randomchoices wrote:

I hope your book club is going well. I will be reading at a Nursing & Rehab center every other Sunday for perhaps half hour to an hour depending on the attention span and interest of the group and would like book recommendations on short stories to read to the nursing center residents. I think stories that are short, easy to follow and interesting would be a good fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Please let me know.

Thank you! 

Contributor
BeachMusic
0 Kudos

I've heard lots of older people talk about the book Water For Elephants!
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

This is not short stories but since it is in letter form, it might work. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is such a wonderful book. Have you read that?  What about some of Sherlock Holmes mystery stories? A lot of them are not that long.

Kaye

On the third Monday of the month we share the books we've read on our own & last month I talked about "The Guernsey literary & potato peel pie society." It has become my 2nd favorite book of all time ("Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon is 1st). The ladies were very interested & as soon as it comes out in paperback I think I'll get copies for the book club to read. If you haven't tried the audio version I actually like it more!

Patty
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Patty_Champion wrote:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of my favorites of the year, as well. You might also want to try Astrid and Veronika. It is right up there with The Guernsey. It is a quick and wonderful read already in paperback.

twj

momgee wrote:

Kaye

On the third Monday of the month we share the books we've read on our own & last month I talked about "The Guernsey literary & potato peel pie society." It has become my 2nd favorite book of all time ("Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon is 1st). The ladies were very interested & as soon as it comes out in paperback I think I'll get copies for the book club to read. If you haven't tried the audio version I actually like it more!