Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: New Book Club Request

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Personally, I've been looking for a Science forum, but that one got archived some time ago due to lack of use, I guess.  But I imagine that the SciFi folks wouldn't mind a conversation about real science from time to time.

Nope we wouldn't. However I do leave most science talk over in current events. Can't get anyone to bite over there though. But real science does come up time to time in sci/fi especially if it's book related tech or science. Come on over!

You know I'd bite at most of what you post over at the CE board if it didn't have its resident troll !   Life is too short to waste any of it on her.

Well the mod over there that supported the troll's bad behavior is gone. She has only posted once there only once in three months. So bite all you want. Besides she keeps away from my threads anyway, I'm not political enough.:smileywink:

Contributor
T_Bash
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Would Stephen Hawking's new book be appropriate for this new book club?  I've been wanting to read that one and would love to discuss it with others who are interested.  I'm game for a Non-fiction book club.  I think it's a fantastic idea.  I tend to switch between fiction and non-fiction.  I love Science, History, Biographies....Bring it on!

Good morning,

Yes, the new Stephen Hawking book would be very appropriate here. Also, if you'd like, I encourage you to reply to this message and click the Add Product button (found across the top of the reply box) because that makes it easier for people to buy the book if they so choose.

T_Bash
Contributor
T_Bash
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Actually, when I posted above about needing a Science forum, I was thinking about Stephen Hawking's new book.  But that is one that I definitely think would be a welcome discussion in the Science Fiction forum, even if it isn't fiction. 

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Would Stephen Hawking's new book be appropriate for this new book club?  I've been wanting to read that one and would love to discuss it with others who are interested.  I'm game for a Non-fiction book club.  I think it's a fantastic idea.  I tend to switch between fiction and non-fiction.  I love Science, History, Biographies....Bring it on!

But a general Non-Fiction forum is certainly a good idea!  I like it better as a title than "True Stories". 

The reason I said "True Stories" instead of "Non-Fiction" is because the term "Non-Fiction" automatically makes me think of biographies and autobiographies only...I don't want to make this group that narrow.

T_Bash
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

T_Bash wrote:
The reason I said "True Stories" instead of "Non-Fiction" is because the term "Non-Fiction" automatically makes me think of biographies and autobiographies only...I don't want to make this group that narrow.

That's amusing to me because I have just the opposite reaction to the words!  People's reactions to words are so different!  But here is my thinking:  In a bookstore, when new books come out, they are usually shelved in the New Release section according to whether  they are Fiction or Non-Fiction.  Everything that is not fictional goes on the Non-Fiction shelf, from biographies to zoology.    In contrast, I don't think I've ever seen a section of a bookstore called "true stories" -- "True Crime", maybe, but that wasn't all you wanted in the forum.  A book about Physics wouldn't be a true story -- it isn't a story book at all.  Does that make sense?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well the mod over there that supported the troll's bad behavior is gone. She has only posted once there only once in three months. So bite all you want. Besides she keeps away from my threads anyway, I'm not political enough.:smileywink:

But she isn't gone -- she posted only last week.  And I'm afraid that as soon as I posted anything, she would jump right in where she left off with me, making snide comments about anything I said, just to try to get a rise out of me.  As long as there is no person willing to moderate her behavior, edit her snide comments, or ban her completely from the board, you don't want me there.  I'm just a magnet for her rudeness.   Not that I'm alone in this -- as you know, there are at least five (known) others who won't post on that board for the same reason.  None of us want to feed the troll.

Contributor
T_Bash
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

T_Bash wrote:

That's amusing to me because I have just the opposite reaction to the words!  People's reactions to words are so different!  But here is my thinking:  In a bookstore, when new books come out, they are usually shelved in the New Release section according to whether  they are Fiction or Non-Fiction.  Everything that is not fictional goes on the Non-Fiction shelf, from biographies to zoology.    In contrast, I don't think I've ever seen a section of a bookstore called "true stories" -- "True Crime", maybe, but that wasn't all you wanted in the forum.  A book about Physics wouldn't be a true story -- it isn't a story book at all.  Does that make sense?

Now that you put it that way, yeah, it makes perfect since.

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven 

(This link is for the book)

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven 

(This one to its much less detailed companion DVD)

This is a really good non-fiction book/DVD duo.

T_Bash
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

But she isn't gone -- she posted only last week.  And I'm afraid that as soon as I posted anything, she would jump right in where she left off with me, making snide comments about anything I said, just to try to get a rise out of me.  As long as there is no person willing to moderate her behavior, edit her snide comments, or ban her completely from the board, you don't want me there.  I'm just a magnet for her rudeness.   Not that I'm alone in this -- as you know, there are at least five (known) others who won't post on that board for the same reason.  None of us want to feed the troll.

Ah but without a mod on her side, there is no reason to be scared. So if she does even try (which I doubt) to mess with anyone, all we will have to do is report her. Yes I know I'm the billy goat. (chuckle)

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

I have to admit that I never go over there because I saw early on what was going on and there was no way I was putting a toe into that water.  I come here for fun, not an argument and it just seemed that the the sharks were circling on that board.  LOL  It just didn't look like much fun to me.  Perhaps more fun for an attorney who likes a good argument.  I noticed one very argumentaive person is gone, so it may be much better now that there isn't a pair to feed off of each other.  I'm just afraid to jump in over there.  I must not have a political bone in my body LOL.:smileyvery-happy:

TiggerBear wrote:

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Ah but without a mod on her side, there is no reason to be scared. So if she does even try (which I doubt) to mess with anyone, all we will have to do is report her. Yes I know I'm the billy goat. (chuckle)

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:
I have to admit that I never go over there because I saw early on what was going on and there was no way I was putting a toe into that water.  I come here for fun, not an argument and it just seemed that the the sharks were circling on that board.  LOL  It just didn't look like much fun to me.  Perhaps more fun for an attorney who likes a good argument.  I noticed one very argumentaive person is gone, so it may be much better now that there isn't a pair to feed off of each other.  I'm just afraid to jump in over there.  I must not have a political bone in my body LOL.:smileyvery-happy:

TiggerBear wrote:

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Look I'm being saying this for awhile now. Let's take back CE from the trolls. Their supporting prince is gone. The last remaining troll has literally posted once in three months. Completely ignoring over 30 mildly provocative posts from yours truly. I think anyone who interested should stop by, have a look, and comment how they please.

I too have never seen CE as anything but a friendly discussion, nor having a greater purpose.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Look I'm being saying this for awhile now. Let's take back CE from the trolls. Their supporting prince is gone. The last remaining troll has literally posted once in three months. Completely ignoring over 30 mildly provocative posts from yours truly. I think anyone who interested should stop by, have a look, and comment how they please.

I too have never seen CE as anything but a friendly discussion, nor having a greater purpose.

You know I take some of what I said back. Should have checked CE first. The troll is actually being quite civil to me.