Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: New Indiana Law States Children Need not Learn How to Write!!

[ Edited ]

I've never been a teacher, but I was a student for years. My notes would never have been as comprehensive unless I knew how to write cursive. And I know for a fact that block printing can't keep up with someone who is writing cursive. In past study groups, I've compared my notes to the printed notes of others in my class. Invariably those printed notes were simplified and too generalized. My notes were always much more detailed and comprehensive. I could simultaneously pay attention to the lecturer and automatically write down what was being said.

Contributor
stacywagon
0 Kudos

What a disgrace. My children know how to write in cursive, but my grandchildren will be printing like grade schoolers for life. Just more time they can have to teach the social garbage. Children print, adults write. Teachers should be outraged.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

When I was little, I loved my grandmother's handwriting and asked her to teach me how.  She did; to this day it is one of the greatest gifts she ever gave me.  Handwriting is an art, a facet of personality.  Being a writer, it gives my own work a look of grace that can never be achieved on a computer screen or in print...But that is just my opinion.

- Fleetfoot, the Tiresome

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

I never liked writing in cursive.  I remember back in 2nd grade that I was slow to pick it up and struggled a bit, although I was always an excellent student.  I found it tedious and didn't think that it looked as good as when I printed.  At some point (maybe junior high?) they no longer required us to write in cursive and I found it a relief to go back to printing.  I don't exactly print in block letters; I think that printing can be as individual as cursive.  For example, I use what they call a 'Greek e'.  My signature is a combination of printed and cursive letters, and I find it to be expressive of my style.  As for not being able to take complete notes or writing quickly, I write much more quickly in printing than I would in cursive.  In grad school, I was so well known for my note-taking that students that missed classes would ask to borrow my notes to catch up on what they missed.  I found it amusing that sometimes when I was introduced to someone, they would already know me by reputation based on my notes!  I think it is a very individual thing whether someone writes better in cursive or printing.  IMHO, learning math, reading, science, etc. (is that supposed to be considered 'social' learning to be looked down upon on?) are more important than cursive writing.  The point is to be able to write and express yourself in words, which can be done through printing as well as cursive.  I even think that if it came down to eliminating cursive vs. arts or sports, I would choose the former.  I think that if someone really wants to learn cursive, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn on their own; I never had calligraphy in school, either, but a number of my friends learned it outside of class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
mhgerber
0 Kudos

This is unbelievable.  How many of us feel a connection between learning/remembering and writing?  I have always felt that material was easier to remember if I WROTE it.  Plus, how will kids take notes in class?   How will they write letters?  And will our language regress even more than it already has if we start using only texting type vernacular (LOL, SYS, OMG, etc.?)

My grandmother, who lived to be 101, was always proud of her penmanship and of how she started so many of her "pupils" on the road to learning via handwriting.

I love computers, but it seems that being unable to write legibly, quickly and effectively is doing a disservice to kids.   MHG

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Aaah. Tis embarising. I'm writing a book long hand and I allways will write long hand first (unless its a short story I posted in the Writing Room) but how can you not teach it! Writing will never crash freeze up or catch a viris. Its a starting block now use it later in life is your pic but you know!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!