Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

New e book sell / trade system proposed

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/technology/revolution-in-the-resale-of-digital-books-and-music.htm... Amazon and Google have proposed systems where your e book license could be sold. Kerifleur is gonna hate this one I think.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
Posts: 1,029
Registered: ‎11-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

Used books on Amazon selling for a penny?

 

Must be the type of book I don't read -- I've found some books that I bought new (for around $25 in those days) breaking $150 in worse condition than my copy.

 

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,268
Registered: ‎07-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

The problem is that you can have your cake and sell it, too.  I just don't see any technological way to guarantee that I won't keep a copy after I sell my digitial rights to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,797
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed


patgolfneb wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/technology/revolution-in-the-resale-of-digital-books-and-music.htm... Amazon and Google have proposed systems where your e book license could be sold. Kerifleur is gonna hate this one I think.

Why would I hate it?  I've always supported the secondary market.  I buy used books about as often as I buy new hardcovers.

 

They just need a way to make it work without encouraging piracy or taking away buyer's rights, same as any other digital sale.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed


keriflur wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/technology/revolution-in-the-resale-of-digital-books-and-music.htm... Amazon and Google have proposed systems where your e book license could be sold. Kerifleur is gonna hate this one I think.

Why would I hate it?  I've always supported the secondary market.  I buy used books about as often as I buy new hardcovers.

 

They just need a way to make it work without encouraging piracy or taking away buyer's rights, same as any other digital sale.

 


I think that the ease of electronic transfer and the lack of degredation would significantly impact sales numbers

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,797
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed


patgolfneb wrote:

keriflur wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/technology/revolution-in-the-resale-of-digital-books-and-music.htm... Amazon and Google have proposed systems where your e book license could be sold. Kerifleur is gonna hate this one I think.

Why would I hate it?  I've always supported the secondary market.  I buy used books about as often as I buy new hardcovers.

 

They just need a way to make it work without encouraging piracy or taking away buyer's rights, same as any other digital sale.

 


I think that the ease of electronic transfer and the lack of degredation would significantly impact sales numbers


I'm sure the publishers will find a way to combat that.  It's likely to be a way that makes consumers miserable and increases the belief that pubs are evil.

 

Thing is, a lot of ebook readers are heavy readers, and a lot of us like that we can keep all our books forever, so that provides some constraint.  There are also plenty of folks who understand that if their favorite author can't afford to eat, they (the readers) aren't going to see many future books from that author.

 

IMO the key to keeping a book limited in the secondary market is, and always has been, to write a book that people want to read again and again, a book that people want to share with friends but that they love so much they tell their friends to get their own copy.  No one has really figured out the formula for this, so it's in large part luck and always has been.  That hasn't changed in the digital age.

 

My concern is that this model effectively encourages piracy, because they're talking about accounts.  Who cares what's in my account, when I can (and should) pull copies down to my local machine?  But as soon as I sell that copy in my account, if I don't go and delete all my backup copies, I've effectively stolen that book.  There are lots of folks who'll think that's okay, and frankly it's easy to justify.  "But I did pay to read it" and "But what if I change my mind" are two obvious arguments.

 

As I said above, they need to find a way to make it work without encouraging piracy and without taking away the buyer's rights.  Amazon and Google need to keep working at it.  They aren't there yet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,797
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

I also wonder if the pushing of a system like this will encourage an even heavier dependancy on DRM than we currently have.  IMO that would hurt readers more than having a secondary market would help them, and would hurt pubs more than a secondary market would hurt primary sales.

Contributor
Gotadimple
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎12-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

It's not Amazon and Google, but the two purveyors with the most tightly controlled formats: Amazon and Apple.

That said, the model is dependent on users having accounts where the ebooks are stored. When sold through these two vendors, the book stored in the cloud would be physically be transferred to the new owner.

Problem: for those who store copies elsewhere, as you've said, it creates a piracy situation. And will probably lead to greater dependence as DRM.

Gotadimple
Nook STR, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"
Only got 1 dimple, would have preferred 2!
Wordsmith
doncr
Posts: 493
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

Someone could always invent a digitally degradation process for ebooks that would get applied as they enter the secondary market.  Blur the text a bit in places, drop a few letters, add digital stains, yellow the pages, scratches on the cover images, and so forth.

 

That's probably a software patent in the making right there...

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,461
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New e book sell / trade system proposed

I don't think we'd need to see tighter DRM than we have now.  But there would be a need to have the devices phone home before the content was available, and before the funds were transfered. 

 

So lets say I want to sell my ebook of Stardust.  I put it up for resale at a dollar, which attracts the attention of Sue who has heard good things but isn't sure she wants to spend the 7.99 for the 'new' ebook.  She buys the ebook from me, and I get a notification of that stating I must connect any device that has the eBook to wifi.  Until I do that, Sue is not charged a dollar and I still have access to the ebook.  Once I do she is charged and the book is removed from my digital library and I will no longer be able to read it.  Even if I have it on my computer as a back up my NST now knows I can not read it.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.