Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Kat50
0 Kudos

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Book Obsessed

I absolutely loved this video as at last someone who thinks exactly the way I do. Now I do not have as many books a Joe but I do have more books in my house than my bookstore, Beauty and the Book. I too have a method to my book collecting madness and my main concern is shelving. When I moved into my house, all the books I had accumulated in my life I put in the attic as the house did not have any bookshelves. Since then I filled every room with more books and this spring I plan to go up into that attic and rediscover the books of my youth and beyond. They have been up there for the ten years I have lived in this house.
It is very hard for me to part with a book but since I am having main concerns about the house's very foundation, now when I decide to "shelve" a book, it must be one that I will reread. All other books I pass on to my local Jefferson Carnegie Library, the local schools, or to my fellow Pulpwood Queen Book Club members.
A book is the gift that keeps on giving and I have built a house of books that keeps my imagination growing and my sanity intact.
God Bless the "Book Obsessed" for those that are serious readers are also I have found people who bring intelligence, understanding, and peace into this world.
Tiara wearing and Book sharing,
Kathy L. Patrick
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens Book Clubs, the largest "meeting and discussing" book club in the world!
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens Book Clubs, the largest "meeting and discussing" book club in the WORLD as seen featured on Good Morning America (we kicked off their READ THIS Book Club) and The Oprah Winfrey Show! Our headquarters is located in historic Jefferson, Texas at Beauty and the Book, the ONLY Hair Salon/Book Store in the country. Our motto is "where tiaras are mandatory". Our sole mission is to get everybody reading and to help undiscovered authors get discovered in a BIG WAY!
New User
vinoqueeno
0 Kudos

joe, you seem perfectly normal to me.  my goal is to live long enough to read all the unread books stashed around my home.  i agree with you about alice munro - open secrets is one of my all time favorites.  i like richard ford, too.   i know i've read something important when my point of view changes in some way.  it doesn't have to be a big change but i recognize it & know the source.  good reading!! 
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
To me, the most interesting moment in this episode is when Joe Perlman singles out One Hundred Years of Solitude as the one book he'd save if he had to escape a house fire.

Of course, I then had to ask myself which one book from my collection I'd grab. I think I'd have to save my childhood copy of The Giving Tree (lovingly co-illustrated by myself).

What about you? If you could only save one book, which one would it be? (Only one!)

Message Edited by Jessica on 03-13-2008 09:28 AM
New User
Kat50
0 Kudos

Jessica,
For me it would be "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
Kathy L. Patrick
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens Book Clubs
Founder of the Pulpwood Queens Book Clubs, the largest "meeting and discussing" book club in the WORLD as seen featured on Good Morning America (we kicked off their READ THIS Book Club) and The Oprah Winfrey Show! Our headquarters is located in historic Jefferson, Texas at Beauty and the Book, the ONLY Hair Salon/Book Store in the country. Our motto is "where tiaras are mandatory". Our sole mission is to get everybody reading and to help undiscovered authors get discovered in a BIG WAY!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Kat50 wrote:
Jessica,
Kathy L. Patrick

For me it would be "Emma" by Jane Austen.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Book Obsessed - Jon and Ruth Jordan

[ Edited ]

Check out the new episode of Book Obsessed!

In this episode you'll meet Jon and Ruth Jordan, who have collected more than 18,000 mysteries.

Click the play button below to watch Book Obsessed, and reply to this message to share your own story!

Message Edited by Jessica on 03-17-2008 11:23 AM
New User
Christie06
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Kat50 wrote:
Jessica,
Kathy L. Patrick

For me it would be "Emma" by Jane Austen.

It would be hard to narrow it down to one book for me....I will have to keep thinking about it.

I just wanted to say I love the comment from Joe about the fact he loves reading first time authors because they try to write everything they know about in the first book. I never really thought of it that way, but that is now going to influence the way I read first time authors. I think it will give me a deeper appreciation.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Book Obsessed - The UMass Science Fiction Society

Book Obsessed is a series of mini-documentaries featuring folks whose love for books knows no bounds. In this episode you'll meet the UMass Science Fiction Society, a group of students whose obsessions are out of this world!

Click the play button below to watch this episode of Book Obsessed, and reply to this message to share your own story!

RCM
Frequent Contributor
RCM
0 Kudos

Re: Book Obsessed - The UMass Science Fiction Society

Young people luxuriating amongst shelves of books: now that's a sight for sore eyes.  And a (fairly young) couple with a library of 18000 mysteries presented by some very nice bookcases---I like what I see because now I don't feel so odd about having and reading a smaller collection of books.

RCM
New User
aersi
0 Kudos

Re: Book Obsessed - The UMass Science Fiction Society

RCM wrote:
Young people luxuriating amongst shelves of books: now that's a sight for sore eyes.
RCM

Glad to hear it! We're proud of the collection that's been passed down to us, and we're glad we were able to share some of it with everyone who watches the video.
Hope everyone enjoys our story!

~Siobhan