Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story

[ Edited ]

Have you ever wondered if the story behind a book's cover might be as interesting as the story between them? If so, welcome to Cover Story. In this original mini-documentary series, we introduce you to the creative people who design and illustrate the books we love. From children's tales to science fiction and beyond, every cover tells a story.

In the debut episode, you'll meet John Gall, the designer for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Bangkok 8, White Teeth, and more.

Click "play" below to watch the debut episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message.

Message Edited by Jessica on 05-12-2008 11:14 AM
New User
mariaplus3

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story

I loved this video. As a book cover designer, I get the biggest kick out of hearing other designers discuss their work, inspiration, creative blocks, whatever. I had to laugh when John Gall said that he always starts by reading the book. That's great, unless you are a medical book cover designer. I've designed more than 500 book covers and I can honestly say I've never read one. However, I have learned a thing or two about what can and cannot work in medical publishing. It's always best to have smiling sick people on the cover, ones who are preferably racially diverse and not too old (unless it's a geriatrics book!) Never look for art from a book about tumors or surgery right after lunch. And never, ever, show people getting stuck with needles, trust me, no one wants to see that, not even doctors! While all of John's musings rang true (inspiration: staring out the window drinking coffee with the deadline looming) the one that made me practically choke on my coffee was when he quoted "green books don't sell" in the rules are made to be broken section. I was told the exact same thing and I think I've designed in green, just out of spite.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed the video. But I have say that to each and every cover he showed, I would have walked right past. Too cerebral, nothing exciting to pull in a new reader.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H

Meet science fiction illustrator Stephen Youll, the creator of some of the best-known illustrations of far-out worlds.

Click "play" below to watch this episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story June 9, 2008

Check out our latest episode of Cover Story!

This week, we introduce you to Judy York, the designer to some of the steamiest covers you'll find at your bookstore.

Click "play" below to watch the debut episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story June 23, 2008

This week, we introduce you to Molly Leach and Lane Smith -- designer, illustrator, and author to some of our favorite children's books, including The Happy Hocky Family! and The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs.

Click "play" below to watch this week's episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story July 7, 2008

This week, we meet Tom Hallman, the illustrator to the covers of some of the bestsellers you'll find at the bookstore.

Click "play" below to watch this week's episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: New from the Barnes & Noble Studio: Cover Story July 21, 2008

This week, we meet Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart, the "paper architects" to some of the most beautiful pop up books you'll find at the bookstore.

Click "play" below to watch this week's episode of Cover Story, and discuss your favorite covers by replying to this message