Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jonny_B
0 Kudos

Newbie Seeking Fantasy Fiction Recommendations

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the B&N community and a long time reader of Robert Jordan and Tolkien.  Anyone have any recommendations on an author/series that are of a similar caliber?

My thanks in advance!

JB

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Newbie Seeking Fantasy Fiction Recommendations

[ Edited ]

Hello Jonny,

I'm not sure if anyone is like Tolkien lol but here are a few that are great Fantasy Series that I was recommended when I was new here!! If you don't get to many recommendations in the community room  you should head over to the Fantasy/Si Fi club my To Be Read pile is so overflowing with all there recommendations.

Lamentation 

The Name of the Wind 

Mistborn 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-11-2009 07:13 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Jonny_B wrote:

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the B&N community and a long time reader of Robert Jordan and Tolkien.  Anyone have any recommendations on an author/series that are of a similar caliber?

My thanks in advance!

JB

Why don't you pop over and join us in the Fantasy/Sci threads? Lots of fellow Tolkien fans hanging around with heaps of book sugestions.

New User
Jonny_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey, Carmen and TB. Thanks a ton for the recommendations and advice!  I'll check them out!!!
Message Edited by Jonny_B on 04-12-2009 10:03 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Jonny_B wrote:
Hey, Carmen and TB. Thanks a ton for the recommendations and advice!  I'll check them out!!!

Your Welcome, anytime!!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jonny_B wrote:

(chuckle) You are most welcome. Always happy to be a sign post. (grin)

Contributor
KellyB2
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed author Anne McCaffrey.  She writes novels that are kind of sci-fi / fanatsy.  Maybe this is what you are looking for?....

Kelly
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

David Eddings is a pretty good fantasy writer. I read the Elenium trilogy a few years back.

The Diamond Throne (Elenium Series #1)

The Ruby Knight (Elenium Series #2)

The Sapphire Rose (Elenium Series #3)

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Frequent Contributor
Wegg
0 Kudos

I'd highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.  Fantastic reading.  And to top it off, HBO are working on a TV series based on the books!  These are by far the best most exciting "Fantasy" books I have ever read.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)