Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jmu_english_major23
0 Kudos

Nickel and Dimed sheds new light on low-wage jobs in America

I recently read the book Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich for a class, and it showed me just how difficult it can be for low-wage workers to survive in America.  The book is written by a journalist who decides to see if she can get by in various areas of the country working only low-wage jobs.  Some of her jobs include waitressing at various restaurants, housekeeping in a hotel, working for a maid service, serving food to Alzheimer's patients at a nursing home, and working at Wal-Mart.  Having worked in a few restaurants myself, I was amazed by the accuracy of her descriptions, and was given a new perspective on various aspects of my job.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone; if you have worked a low-wage job then you will be able to relate to what she describes, and either way you will certainly gain a new appreciation for the workers you encounter on a daily basis.  Ehrenreich's use of humor and witty descriptions help to make it a fairly quick read, and you will be shocked by her story of "(Not) Getting by in America."

~Katelyn
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Nickel and Dimed sheds new light on low-wage jobs in America

jmu_english_major23 wrote:
I recently read the book Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich for a class, and it showed me just how difficult it can be for low-wage workers to survive in America.  The book is written by a journalist who decides to see if she can get by in various areas of the country working only low-wage jobs.  Some of her jobs include waitressing at various restaurants, housekeeping in a hotel, working for a maid service, serving food to Alzheimer's patients at a nursing home, and working at Wal-Mart.  Having worked in a few restaurants myself, I was amazed by the accuracy of her descriptions, and was given a new perspective on various aspects of my job.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone; if you have worked a low-wage job then you will be able to relate to what she describes, and either way you will certainly gain a new appreciation for the workers you encounter on a daily basis.  Ehrenreich's use of humor and witty descriptions help to make it a fairly quick read, and you will be shocked by her story of "(Not) Getting by in America."

~Katelyn

Hi-----jmu-----My in person Book Club read Nickel and Dimed for one of our discussions. I agree that it's a great book and really shows what minimum wage is like.
Librarian
Contributor
princessrexall
0 Kudos

This book, in my opinion, was garbage.  Yes she sheds light on some things... but if she did not take money from what she already had or used resources that she already had she never would have made it.  She was using resources those people don't have.  Yeah, I know that really shows the reader that low-wage jobs holders have it rough but they don't have another bank account to fall back on... so in the end I was just not impressed with her or this book.
Contributor
Appleseed
0 Kudos

Oh dear, I will try to keep this short and sweet.  Nickel and Dimed is probably the biggest piece of trash that I have ever read.  It is entirely insulting and belittling to anyone who has actually had to(or still does) do any of these "working class" jobs.  I am further enraged that the author has been able to convince some in the teaching profession that this actually passes the test of enlightening, educational and required reading?  I would love to bring Barbara to work with me one day..I guarantee that she would leave truly humbled.
--With every book I read I learn a little bit more about myself--