New User
kdwalters
0 Kudos

Nook Color virus

Can I get a virus on my nook color from being on line ?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color virus

kdwalters wrote:

Can I get a virus on my nook color from being on line ?

Welcome to the bookclubs forums!

You might try asking over in the Nook Color Tech Support forum:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
BN_Rick
0 Kudos

Hi KDWalters, It is unlikely that your NOOKcolor could become infected by a virus or other malware. Your NOOKcolor does not host applications; this reduces the likelihood of malware infection.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

In addition to what Rick said, the NOOKcolor is based on the Android OS, which is based on the Linux kernel.  My point here is that just like Linux is "immune" to most of the bad stuff out there, so is the NC.  A virus or malware program would have to achieve "root"  to do any real damage, and even a "rooted" NC has to ask permission to run something.  So until someone targets a more specific attack on the NOOKcolor by exploiting something like a buffer overflow, you probably have very little to worry about.

I mean, it's not like the NOOKcolor has a way of mainlining viruses directly into the kernel without supervision like Windoze does with Active-X.  :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if the OP is reacting to recent postings about the Android Market apps.

Apparently there have been some malicious apps that the Market is even attempting to remove remotely.

I don't have a rooted nook and am not up to speed on apps. But I can't see how an app could technically be classed as a "virus." Malware, sure; trojan, probably; virus, hmmm.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Malicious apps are trojans, in the truest sense of the word: programs that are not what they represent themselves as, just like the Trojan Horse at Troy.  And that may well account for the amount of time required in getting a B&N App Store off the ground.  The regular Android Market is kind of "wild and wooly;" I suspect that B&N would like to avoid that. :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

There's a pretty good article on the info security site, as well as PC Mag and other places. I think even the Washington Post has an article. Here's the info-sec site:

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/16437/google-tackles-android-malwarefest-/