Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

bobstro: In my case, I just purchased a new tablet, and I've been off the B&N bandwagon for a couple of years now, although I was a huge B&N booster when the NC came out. This move might be a bit too late, now that B&N has lost the "value" tablet aura it had with the NC. ........

I've wondered the same thing since there are several decent options in the 7' market now that weren't there a couple of years ago. But I'm still impressed with the change and hope it proves a success for them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

bklvr896 wrote:
You're not in the minority, I bought my mom the HD specifically because it didn't have access to Google Play.  She will be completely overwhelmed by Google Play and will never use the device for anything but reading now.  She doesn't buy a lot of apps to begin with and this will probably ensure she never buys another one.

Your mom doesn't have to use Google Play - it's going to be available in addition to the regular B&N app store.  If she never wants to touch it, she never has to.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
You're not in the minority, I bought my mom the HD specifically because it didn't have access to Google Play.  She will be completely overwhelmed by Google Play and will never use the device for anything but reading now.  She doesn't buy a lot of apps to begin with and this will probably ensure she never buys another one.

Your mom doesn't have to use Google Play - it's going to be available in addition to the regular B&N app store.  If she never wants to touch it, she never has to.

Yep. The way they did it was pretty ingenious. The "Shop" button on the HD home screen still takes you directly to the BN shop. GPS is listed in the "Apps" section, so she'd have to go digging to find it.

Even more useful in your particular case, GPS is counted as an app for the profile system, which means it (and all the assorted GP apps that are now preinstalled) can be hidden completely by simply removing it from the profile. She won't even know they're there.

keriflur

Can we just call it GP or GP store?  Saying GPS makes this thread really confusing (see upthread for an example).

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Really interesting to read everyone's responses.

Looking forward to seeing what it does for Nook sales. I think this move makes Nook the best Android tablet. Well, apart from the software bugs. So perhaps not.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to backing up, wiping my device and installing the update to see what it looks like.

It sounds as if apps will be available in the stock apps panel, so a secondary launcher won't be required;  the Nook is a good magazine and book reader, but heavier than I need to wander around with.

It's too bad we didn't run to BN this week to see if the fire sale on HD and HD+ was still going on, but I was thinking my girlfriend was about to get the HD+ - now, maybe it will become what we use to watch video at night via the bluetooth antenna and wifi.  

CM10 has not been able to do both wifi and bluetooth at the same time at all well, but I think stock did.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL

I was in Walmart last night and they had the 16GB HD+ as a "Price Roll-Back" at $199!!!!!!

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

If you were BN and you were about to announce new hardware based on a different platform and ecosystem (i.e. Win8), what effort would you go to for your current device owners not to alienate them?

I'm not saying that will happen, but if it were, would this Google Play announcement make sense?

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

doncr: If you were BN and you were about to announce new hardware based on a different platform and ecosystem (i.e. Win8), what effort would you go to for your current device owners not to alienate them?

I'm not saying that will happen, but if it were, would this Google Play announcement make sense?

That's certainly worth a thought, and it's much more pleasant than the B&N-is-preparing-to-abandon-the-tablet-market-completely explanation I've seen other places.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I guess I'm still a purist.  There's no way I would purchase a B&N Nook HD / HD+ or a Kindle Fire when there are native Android tablets out that can do the same things.  Just my opinion of course.

►Without order there is chaos◄