Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

Sparky - love your comment. Yeah, it must have taken an awful long time for the data to arrive at his desk. :smileyhappy:

Regarding this:

If you were BN and you were about to announce new hardware based on a different platform and ecosystem (i.e. Win8), what effort would you go to for your current device owners not to alienate them?

I'm not saying that will happen, but if it were, would this Google Play announcement make sense?

Very very interesting thought. I do think B&N will release a Windows 8 tablet and might even shift completely to it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Sparky - love your comment. Yeah, it must have taken an awful long time for the data to arrive at his desk. Curious, are you guys being sarcastic here?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

I do think B&N will release a Windows 8 tablet and might even shift completely to it.

I don't think they will.  I know this theory is floating around because of the partnership with Microsoft, but if they release a Win8 tablet, then they are competing directly with Microsoft.  Also, it seems silly to me to offer one of the largest app stores out there to clear out stock, and then to change platforms to one of the smallest. 

To me, it makes more sense to develop their apps.  The best app experience is the best way to sell ebooks, regardless of device.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

I don't think Microsoft would care too much if BN made a Windows tablet - they get revenue from the OS licence and the app sales from that tablet.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

The MS tablet has been unsuccessful so far.  From a MS point of view B&N could only give it more necessary exposure.  From a B&N point of view it would only be yet another mistake on their part.

►Without order there is chaos◄
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Microsoft's problem isn't the OS, it's the cost. All of the Win8/RT tablets on the market are in iPad price territory, which leads to the "why not just buy an iPad?" conundrum that Android tablets had before BN disrupted that market two years ago. And those high costs are directly a result of the OS licensing fees that Microsoft charges for Windows installs. When an OEM has to shell out $80 for every single device they make just to install the operating system, it means there isn't much room for low-end disruption a la Encore.

There's two big game changers hitting this summer that might change that, though.

Windows 8.1. Microsoft has already gone on record that the launch of Windows 8.1 will also coincide with a reduction of OEM license fees for Windows to make it possible to make lower cost tablets in the market. It also will give much more support to smaller screen resolutions and aspect ratios, so the ever popular 7/8 inch tablets will start being available in Windows flavors (and if you don't think 7/8 is the way the mass market it going, take a look at how much the iPad Mini crushed Apple's margins from taking a huge chunk out of their iPad market).

Haswell SoC's. Sandy Bridge SOC's from Intel are finally going to be superseded by Haswell this summer. Not only are they faster, particularly in regards to multithreading, but they have power consumption as low as 10W - comparable to good ARM chips (though the extremely efficient ARM SOC's like the Snapdragon 400 can run as low as 4W, so there's still a slight difference). And Haswell chips are full-on x86 architecture, meaning they can run full versions of Windows and all the applications that go with it. That's huge. No more trading off the power of an x86 processor and the breadth of legacy Windows applications for the battery life of an ARM processor. No more reliance on the stripped down Windows RT to make affordable Windows tablets that can be unplugged for more than three hours.

In November we could be seeing a 7 inch tablet with a full version of Windows and the processing power of an Ultrabook with a 12 hour battery life for $300. I really wouldn't count Windows 8 out just yet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

As someone who has run Windows on an 8 inch screen, the idea of full Windows on a 7 inch tablet is unappetizing at best. Windows8 makes even less appetizing. 

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
Sparky - love your comment. Yeah, it must have taken an awful long time for the data to arrive at his desk. Curious, are you guys being sarcastic here?

I don't know if I would call it sarcastic.  Maybe more tongue-in-cheek.  The CEO said 

"We saw coming off holiday the market moved to multifunction tablets," he said. "Consumer research showed us the breadth of applications available is really critical."

That ship sailed a year and a half ago.  Maybe that's what he was saying, but in corporate-speak???

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

sparky_80 wrote:

That ship sailed a year and a half ago.  Maybe that's what he was saying, but in corporate-speak???

Except it didn't. A year and a half before this holiday season was before the KF had launched (Summer of 2011) - the NOOK Color was darn near the entire Android tablet marketshare (Samsung was selling a whopping 40k units a quarter, and they were the closest competitor). That holiday season BN lost their number two place to Amazon, but were still handily smacking everyone else. And the lack of Google Play wasn't hampering BN's ability to continually sell more units.

Things started to go wrong in the summer of last year. That's when NOOK sales started to flaten. My guess is the N7 launch, combined with huge advertising pushes from Samsung and Amazon, finally legitimized Android tablets, while the iPad Mini captured a lot of mindshare going into the holiday season. Media tablets had begun to match BN's prices and offer much more compelling marketplaces, so BN tanked, despite their very competitive hardware.

So BN analyzed the problem and rectified it.

As I pointed out in another thread - Google Play access isn't drop-and-go. There's a ton of backend work that goes into it. BN has been working on this for a while, so it isn't as if it took them from January to now just to decide to get Google on board.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

[ Edited ]

Bottom line as I see it as that the perception (as well as the reality) is that B&N is still a bookstore with some extra products.  They're fighting companies that only do computer-related electronics as well as Amazon which just has to feature a product on its home page to get way more visibility than B&N can ever get.

Unless something drastically changes B&N is fighting a losing battle and it's only a matter of time before they're out of the electronics business except for an extremely limited audience (at which point they have to decide if it's worth being in that business at all).  Then they have to figure out how to keep bookstores open when more and more people are buying e-books.

They have an extremely long and hard road ahead of them and giving access to the Google Play Market is most likely too little too late.

►Without order there is chaos◄