Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Never mind NOOK devices, where to NOOK apps go next?

NOOK as an app is DOA. When you ask the average consumer what an ebook app is they will almost always answer "Kindle". BN doesn't have that mindshare, so going to app-only will just continue to erode their marketshare as the mass market installs the brand they have rammed down their throats with $300 million in advertising a quarter.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

NOOK as an app is DOA. When you ask the average consumer what an ebook app is they will almost always answer "Kindle". BN doesn't have that mindshare, so going to app-only will just continue to erode their marketshare as the mass market installs the brand they have rammed down their throats with $300 million in advertising a quarter.

Do you have stats on this?  Not challenging, just wondering what the numbers look like for actual app usage/devices.

patgolfneb

I think the days of selling a truly unique lcd tablet are ending.  I believe the smart way to go is to sell a BN branded version of a tablet designed by say LTC,  with one or two reader centric features.  It would be sold in BN stores and online exclusively.  HTC would market it and sell it elsewhere, without the reader centric features as an HTC tablet. Coupons for HTC phone purchase discounts might be in the packaging. 

Kerifleur makes a good point about e ink readers.  Without an e  ink reader Amazon will be the default.  Amazon could start giving them away for free and be OK with no competition. These buyers are probably among the heaviest readers, you have to have a product there for some time yet. 

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

NOOK as an app is DOA. When you ask the average consumer what an ebook app is they will almost always answer "Kindle".

I'd love to see the data on this.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So FT, if the NOOK app is DOA, and the devices aren't selling... What then? Interestingly, the NOOK app reappeared in a recent update on my Samsung Note, so either B&N or Samsung put in some effort to get it back as a stock app on a fresh device. 

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Do you have stats on this?  Not challenging, just wondering what the numbers look like for actual app usage/devices.

Hard data is notoriously difficult to come by in this industry, but we can make a few assumptions.

The NOOK app for Android has between 1 million and 5 million installs, according to the Play Store. The Kindle app, on the other hand, has between 10 million and 50 million installs. From the analyst numbers we know BN has about a quarter of the ebook market in the United States, Amazon around 60%.

So what could explain this discrepancy in installs to actual marketshare? In the best case scenario (NOOK at the top limit of their install, Kindle at the bottom limit respectively), Amazon has double the installs of NOOK, which would equate roughly to the actual sales numbers. In the worst case, (NOOK at 1 million, Kindle at 50 million) Amazon is beating BN in installs by nearly six orders of magnitude. In reality the numbers are probably a bit towards the middle. But why does Amazon's app have so many more installs than BN's app compared to their actual marketshare?

The answer, of course is, mindshare. Kindle is the most well known brand of ereading, so people who fire up their new phone download the app because it's the generic brand that they know of. And that's something BN simply can't counter effectively. And as Amazon's mindshare grows, their marketshare will continue to do so, especially given how much money they can dump into advertising compared to BN.

The argument is that BN should get their app as the default on as many systems as possible. While this would help (and certainly couldn't hurt), it isn't a panacea that would make going app-only viable. Look at Google Play Books. It comes prinstalled on every single Android device that ships with the Play Store, yet doesn't even make enough sales to be counted outside of the "other" catagory for ebook marketshare.

Also, I hesitate to do this, but anecdotally Kindle has become synonymous with eReader. I still have people who walk up to me at work (with the giant NOOK sign glowing in painfully bright LEDs right above my head), hand me their NOOK, and tell me they're having a problem with their Kindle. Kindle is to eReaders as Kleenex is to facial tissues - it's become a generic term for an entire market segment. And that brand awareness will just continue to help Amazon because BN/NOOK doesn't have the same mindshare.

But anyway, I really am pretty sure BN isn't exiting the market just yet...

bobstro
0 Kudos

It certainly wouldn't hurt B&N to put the NOOK app on as many home screens as possible. It might help if the icon resembled a book, or had something to help new users associate it with reading. 

flyingtoastr

bobstro wrote:

So FT, if the NOOK app is DOA, and the devices aren't selling... What then? 

The devices are selling, just not as well as they used to. BN just needs to make some strategic shifts in thinking to be competitive once again.

They need to stop all this "split the company to 'unlock the potential' of NOOK" (i.e. make the investors rich) crap. Invest in the stores, deeply integrate the NOOK experience (both app and device) into the store experience, and then hammer. the. crap. out of it. 

BN has always had a stigma that the NOOK line is just a "me too" response to the Kindle. Look at how the media has portrayed the NOOK tablet line of devices - a response to the Kindle Fire, despite the fact that BN's first tablet came out a full year before Amazon's! BN needs to start showing how they are different than Amazon, showing the value in choosing them over Kindle - play the underdog card, play the store support card, play the goddamn open content card.

That is how to get NOOK viable again, not just giving up and hoping enough people scroll past Kindle when they boot up their new tablets and give another platform a shot.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I  do think Kindle comes pre installed on a lot more devices.  Often you can't uninstall it.  Does the PS include those as installed?  If so maybe some are being ignored or belong to people who don't read for pleasure, or people who use both apps. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:
The NOOK app for Android has between 1 million and 5 million installs, according to the Play Store. The Kindle app, on the other hand, has between 10 million and 50 million installs. From the analyst numbers we know BN has about a quarter of the ebook market in the United States, Amazon around 60%.

While I agree with your overall conclusions, I always find the install stats troubling.  I have the both the kindle app and the nook app installed on all my devices with the exception of my MBA, which has neither.  I own a grand total of five kindle books (I think I've spent a total of $4 on kindle books), and I don't think I've even logged into the kindle app on either of my iDevices.  Also, I'm pretty sure the each of the HTC phones I've owned came with the kindle app installed.  So... installs =/= usage or sales.

A more useful stat would be to tie those installs with sales (which can be done via account information) and usage (we all know this is gathered, like it or not), though there's no way to do a compare against kindle as Amazon's never going to hand over that data.

flyingtoastr wrote:
But anyway, I really am pretty sure BN isn't exiting the market just yet...

:smileyvery-happy:

Should we expect an announcement soon?

(I know you can't answer that even if you have an answer)