Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

I think it's a good, important move.

As I have started to think about adding a tablet to my line up of gadgets (NST, Android phone), the woeful, locked down app store frm B&N made their device a no-go.

After being a bit of a NOOK booster/loyalist since the 1st gen NOOK, they would have lost me as a device customer.

Now, I'll have to go back and see if the Nexus is still the way I'm leaning or if the HD measures up enough to keep my device purchase with B&N.

So, from my perspective, B&N is making a smart choice. I only wish this heralded an industry-wide move towards less lock-in and more choices. But I doubt it.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

It makes no difference to me.  I've been annoyed with Google Play since they launched the name change and messed up an ebook order and wouldn't honor the price when they failed to get back to me before it expired (they frequently use different servers to check the credit card and process the charge but my card company treats that as a fraud indicator so the charge won't pass).

I realize I'm in the minority but I don't go app crazy so access to Google Play is just a shoulder-shrugger to me.  I wonder however if this is the "big announcement" I was told would come out on Monday.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
keriflur
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:
I wonder however if this is the "big announcement" I was told would come out on Monday.

It could be, but there's also a software release - maybe that's the announcement?

Also, it's about the time of the year that B&N usually announces a new e-ink device, so that could be the news coming on Monday.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

All I can say is: finally! This was a move B&N needed to make a long, long time ago. This move will remove a major barrier to buying a NOOK device. I've said for years that B&N will benefit more from getting some of my business than none of it. Giving access to the Play Store also eliminates a major reason to root. 

I'm glad B&N is acknowledging that the devices belong to customers, and that NOOK buying customers don't somehow owe B&N or their little club additional revenue. This is a realistic, pragamatic approach to making the NOOK family a contender again, and I applaud B&N for making what must have been a hard-to-swallow decision. I'm sure watching money go to N2A and NFA and pulling NOOK owners completely out of the B&N ecosystem helped their decision.

In my case, I just purchased a new tablet, and I've been off the B&N bandwagon for a couple of years now, although I was a huge B&N booster when the NC came out. This move might be a bit too late, now that B&N has lost the "value" tablet aura it had with the NC, but they can work to reclaim that. If B&N focuses on making the NOOK and store experience meld, I might look at one again. I'll also have fewer qualms about recommending a NOOK device now. At least they're in contention.

Of course, it'd be classy to release an NT update that allowed GPS access, but I don't expect that.

Oh, and:

1. Suck it.

2. Told you so.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what you told us "so".  Yes, you repeatedly said you wanted Google Play access but I don't recall a prediction about them enabling it.  Certainly your contention that somehow access to Google Play would increase purchases of the HD/HD+ or "make things better" hasn't been proven (yet) -- time will tell.

As far as "suck it" goes, I'm in more of a mind to slurp (a smoothie) right now but I'll bear your suggestion in mind.  :robottongue:

One question:  what in the world are you talking about with "release an NT update that allowed GPS access"?  I don't think the NT has a GPS antenna or processing circuitry so how would they ever "allow GPS access"?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Omnigeek wrote:

It makes no difference to me.  I've been annoyed with Google Play since they launched the name change and messed up an ebook order and wouldn't honor the price when they failed to get back to me before it expired (they frequently use different servers to check the credit card and process the charge but my card company treats that as a fraud indicator so the charge won't pass).

I realize I'm in the minority but I don't go app crazy so access to Google Play is just a shoulder-shrugger to me.  I wonder however if this is the "big announcement" I was told would come out on Monday.

You're not in the minority, I bought my mom the HD specifically because it didn't have access to Google Play.  She will be completely overwhelmed by Google Play and will never use the device for anything but reading now.  She doesn't buy a lot of apps to begin with and this will probably ensure she never buys another one.

Scribe
frantastk

I've got a running list of devices I would like to purchase. Previously, nook hd was not anywhere on the list. Now it's something I would definitely consider buying. I probably would not use google play for book purchases, but I do have some music and quite a few apps I love on my galaxy player all bought through the play store. The reason the nook wasn't in the running before is that I didn't want to have to buy a whole new set of apps. Perhaps a new e-ink reader has just got pushed down my priority list a bit.

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Omnigeek wrote:
I wonder however if this is the "big announcement" I was told would come out on Monday.

It could be, but there's also a software release - maybe that's the announcement?

Also, it's about the time of the year that B&N usually announces a new e-ink device, so that could be the news coming on Monday.

Is it possible that the big announcement may be a price decrease?  I was in my local Walmart last night and they had a "price drop" sign on the 16GB HD+.  It was listed at $199.00  I've been waiting to buy a tablet and have been leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2...but now I think it's going to be the HD+!

The price at Walmart is also in this weekend's flier...here is the link.

http://localad.walmart.com/Walmart/Entry/Flash?storeref=1830&forceview=y

Pgs 6-7....

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

patgolfneb: I am puzzled why BN is continuing it's stores, I have always seen this as an all or nothing option?

This is how I thought B&N saw it as well.

I think Amazon feels additional pressure to follow as well, prime may be a strong enough offering, but now they are really the only Android non play store offering out there.

Maybe, but Amazon's store has a lot more to offer than B&N's did so I don't think they experience the same level of complaint in that regard. B&N's move probably puts some pressure on them to consider it though.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Very interesting.  

It is going to mean that the cnet/zdnet/etc. reviews of the low-end tablets are all going to need to be rewritten now that the HD and + both have access to Google.  They now are at the head of the pack for the inexpensive tablets.  

Not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone had asked about cm10 - while rooting will still be done by many (there are a lot of apps that require root) the number running cm10 off of sd cards will drop pretty steeply.  

The advantage to cm10 is that the performance is much, much better than on the HD configured in stock.  The disadvantage on the HD and + is that there's no way to run all of it off internal memory.  I'm not sure how stable the pure SD card install is, but the hybrid install (/system on the card, /data on internal memory) is very fast but not as stable as I'd like.  

I'm not sure if this is too little, too late for BN to get Nooks to sell or not, though.  Despite ADB being enabled and sideloading possible, and rooting quite simple, the HD/HD+ fora on XDA are super quiet.

Also, I hope BN has the mother wit to stop auditing the contents of /system and wiping devices with files written anywhere there.  If not, there will be quite a few people who'll wind up getting very annoyed with the restore process.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.